Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Default The 3 month hump?

Over the past 7 or 8 years I've gone from knowing very little about health and weight loss to knowing a whole lot. However, I seem to always do well for about 2-3 months, lose 10-20 lbs, feel awesome and seem to be on a roll when suddenly I just lose motivation. I feel a mental fatigue creep up, and something in my brain tells me to just love myself and quit worrying about food.

But I do want to be smaller, have more energy, be healthier and happier. There are only two downsides to trying to attain that, and one is that I have trouble exercising consistently and another is that I have trouble counting calories consistently, because of that hump. I just reach it and start to slip until I'm back where I started.

This has just happened yet again. I did well, lost 10 lbs, was eating well and now I'm just back where I started, counting calories again and trying to relose that 10 lbs.

Do you guys have your own version of the 3 month hump? How did you get over it?

I'm thinking my main goal shouldn't involve weight right now, but instead time. I'm setting a goal of 4 months on plan(with a few slip-ups, of course) because I feel like at this point in my life building the habit of counting calories is more important than losing a lot of weight. Hopefully in those 4 months some weight will come off, but I think it's more important I build a habit of counting every day, even after a slip-up or binge. I read somewhere that it takes 6 months to build a habit.

I do view it as a lifestyle change, but just like any lifestyle change it takes time to make it habit.

What do you guys think?
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” –Aristotle.

Remember that. It's okay to slack off occasionally. God knows I do and I've lost over a 100lbs. I may not get there as fast as everyone else, but it's a habit now. It's truly a lifestyle.

It actually takes 30 days to make or break a habit and past that it's just routine and the mental aspect of it.

I took 3 weeks off from working out just recently. I ran a 10k and a 5k in that time, but aside from that, I didn't do a d*mn thing. Seriously. I did two races in 21 days and nothing else. And you know what? Yesterday I craved working out. My body was literally screaming to go do something. So, I got up this morning and went back into my routine and it felt incredible.

I've actually stopped counting calories and being so intense and crazy about it and I've still managed to lose weight. I'm learning to trust my body and listen to it. Let's be honest - I have no intention of counting calories for the rest of my life every day. I want to find something I can do for the rest of my life every day. Trusting my body and listening to it seems to be a good answer.

Hang in there. <3
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm going through this right now. I did really well for about 3 months and then I hit some obstacles both emotionally and having a couple weeks where I really couldn't afford groceries. Luckily I only gained back about 2 pounds. I am starting again today, hopefully I can have a longer streak this time.

Sorry I don't have much advice, but I can relate. Good luck to you!
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Same boat as you. I just can't seem to build up the same motivation I used to.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #5  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Hmm. I'm thinking I just have to keep pushing on and when I feel that mental fatigue coming on try to remotivate myself with something.

We'll see huh?
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/185/125

Height: 5'3”

Same boat here in fact that's why I clicked out this thread. Seems like give or take about 3 months I lose my motivation. Things with family will happen, I'll get sick, etc. I use to take 2 hour walks almost everyday before or after work. But now I'm taking care of a dog that has separation anxiety. So being gone 11 hours a day isn't wise. So I started working out from home but I miss walking. Which I think is making it hard for me to stay motivated.
dragonstar85 is offline   Reply With Quote