Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #1  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Default Tried it, hated it.

Grrr, maybe it's something I have to get used to... But getting up in the am to work out is the pits!

To you folks who get up early to burn a deficit---- how DO you do it?

Yesterday I had the morning to myself, got 45 mins in. Today, set my alarm, barely made it past 15. AND THIS IS WITH COFFEE

Last edited by smashlers; 01-16-2013 at 07:37 AM.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

...But you still did 15 minutes! That's better than nothing!

You might have to get used to getting up early and work your way up to a full 45 minute workout. Or maybe 15 minutes is all you're going to get...you can accomplish a lot in that time

Maybe you need to switch up the type of exercise you're doing. I could NEVER drag myself out my bed to run! Never! I tried for years! I'm a morning person too.

However, when I was teaching, I would gladly wake up at 4:45 in the morning to get to the gym to lift weights. I liked lifting so much better that even when I really didn't want to get out of bed I found myself heading over there.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

You just have to find what works for you! I've done it both ways. When my bff went to the gym in the morning with me I was motivated to go and had someone keeping me accountable, but when she stopped it was more hit or miss. DH prefers working out at night so I go with him.

I honestly prefer working out in the morning because then it's over with, I get a nice rush of energy, and I just get ready for work at the gym; however, actually getting my big butt out of bed and to the gym when DH wraps me back under the covers and snuggles with me makes it virtually impossible - so I end up going at night.

It's a matter of routine and habit. It takes 30 days to make/break a habit. If you stick with it you'll find it easier to get up!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

I agree you did 15 and that's a lot baby! My body can't do 2-3 hrs anymore! I go to the gym in the morning and do 1hr 3omins and go back later with mother for 1hr and 30mins.

Eat something food is engry!
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220.5/185/140

Height: 5'7

I am not a morning person. I don't think I ever will be. I have to work out in the evenings. I workout, take a shower, eat and go to bed. I sleep so much better at night. Getting up early to work out just makes me mad. Haha!

Good luck! We are all different! Props to you for making such a huge effort!
oksoitsjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #6  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I read an article about the "Best" times to do certain things, and it said for exercising the best time was in the afternoon....go figure lol. Thats usually when I get mine in because its right before I have to get ready for work and when my little ones will most likely be napping. If I can't then I will do it later in the evening before bed. No way in **** you will ever catch me working out in the morning LOL (except when I ran my 5Ks) UGH
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I can't do mornings either, even if I wake up early to get a workout in, I normally get really sick to my stomach from not having eaten. I usually workout between getting home from work and eating dinner.
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I do my workouts in the evenings. I bring a snack to eat on my hour long commute, so I am not starving. I do much better and get more out of my workouts in the evenings. I also walk at work during my morning and afternoon breaks. Sometimes I will add a walk at lunch.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #9  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Well, if you hate it, don't do it. But really, like others have said, we all have to find the groove that works for us.

I mix it up quite a bit, but I do try to wake up at least two mornings a week and jog. I have a new treadmill (yay!), so it works for me. I wake up forty minutes earlier than usual, pop in my headphones and hit the start button. I like it because it gets me in a good head space for the day. I feel more energetic and less stressed, and for some reason I tend to get ready faster on those mornings. That leaves me a little bit more time to sit down with my breakfast and watch the news. Plus, I feel like I can relax in the evening.

I work out in the evenings two nights a week with Zumba, but it is a little hard for me to self-motivate when I get home from work. Zumba doesn't start until 7:00 PM, so I can't really stay at work that late. So, I drive home, eat a snack, change clothes, get a little settled, and then I have to drive back to town (I live about 20 minutes outside of the towns on either side of me). It takes up an ENTIRE evening, it seems. I enjoy the class so much, however, that I would hate to give it up.

ETA: sontaikle -I always do any muscle building in the evenings. Somebody would have to come pick me up off the floor if I tried to lift in the morning!

Last edited by Song of Surly; 01-16-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I only exercise at night.

So be proud that you even did 15mins this morning... I did nothing lol
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #11  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I can only manage to do workouts in the morning if I have been really good at taking my multi-vitamin. Otherwise- I don't have the energy. It also helps when I start doing morning workouts after daylight savings time. LOL.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #12  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

I already wake up at 5am just to eat breakfast, shower and make it to work on time. I cannot make myself get up any earlier in order to work out as well. I wish I had time to spare in order to do so, but waking up any earlier than 5am is a no-no.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #13  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

you can also break up your work outs if you are struggling for time- do 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins in the evening. A friend of mine did their PhD on this, and I think she found that as long as you have good intensity each time, its the same as doing 1 x 30 min work out
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I bought one of those phillips wake up lamps. I find it so much easier to get out of bed in the morning when there's light. I actually do best when my bf has to work in the morning because he kicks me out of bed when he gets up.

It's tough to get going, but I feel so much better once I've hit the pool. My only other option during the week is on my lunch hour, and it's such a rush, I don't want to get my hair wet and I end up eating at my desk afterwards, cutting into my productive time.

So basically, it's the least of the evils for me.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Yet another exercising in the evening person checking in, lol.

I've found that if I exercise in the morning, I'm actually MORE likely to eat poorly and feel crappy that day. It just throws me off balance. Maybe I don't react well to fasted exercise?

The earliest I'd exercises would be like 10am on a weekend (I wake up around 6-7am).
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote