Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I dont like to.. Because if I want to have a cookie people look at me like. "Your not allowed to have that because you are dieting." and I hate that look. And really it's no one else's business what I do or don't do.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 178/154/135

Height: 5"4

I hate discussing weight loss. Especially because maybe ive lost weight but i have so much more to lose and i fall into a rut off not doing exercise or thinking i look better then i really do cos people have commented to me about my weight loss. Also the way people tell you, like they are accusing you of committing a crime! i feel some people are angry at me that i have managed to lose weight and get such attitude from them
deb813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #48  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

At the point where I was down about 50lbs, this very thing started happening. People were ...'are you losing weight?' ... I would reluctantly answer. I mean, its going to get harder and harder for people not to notice. Some people will keep to themselves, others will be VERY forward - because of the personality they have or because they might want to join you, lol. I went thru both. I'm also going thru people not talking to me anymore because of it... which, is weird.

I don't like discussing it, becuase I do feel like the food police will then watch me, but after over 100lbs lost, its hard for people not to notice. I just try to brush comments that are -intentionally or not- hurtful off and KEEP GOING because this is for ME and not for THEM!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #49  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I hate how dieting makes people assume they're allowed to be watchdogs for other people. I'm finding I hate discussing it more and more because everyone seems so condescending. I feel like I'm being treated like a defective, and I'm noticing just how many people have defined me solely by my size, which is eye opening.

I'm reading a book called "Joining the Thin Club", and it goes into detail about some of the attitudes you'll have to cope with and the issues it brings up personally.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 380/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

I had told 2 of my friends here, and it went well.

Then I told someone else and she immediately started suggesting a certain diet (one that I have no desire to be a part of)....

reminded me why I don't like telling people.
time4me2change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #51  

I totally get what people are saying about diet police. At work this week I ate 1 chocolate in the staff room and had 3 different people tell me off.
Athel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 182.1/ticker/130

Height: 5'6''

I don't tell anyone I am losing weight except my family (and it's only because they live far away and can't see me eating). I've lost close to 30lbs and I've had people come to me at work and ask if I have been losing weight, I say yes, thank you for noticing. When they ask how I am doing it, I just say that I really haven't been trying, it's just been a lifestyle change (partially true). I don't want to have people asking me for tips or whatnot, I am in no position to have those conversations...I think the weight loss journey is so personal, I don't want to share it with anyone (except you guys here!)
Colliea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #53  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I teach at a small private school and don't share with my co-workers that I'm trying to lose weight. It stinks because most of them discuss diet and their desire for weightloss, but the couple of times that I've tried to join the conversation, I get the automatic, "Oh stop! You're thin!" Yes I realize that I'm at a healthy weight, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to drop a few more pounds... I'm most certainly NOT underweight! Their annoyed/negative reactions definitely made me decide to keep it to myself.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I haven't told a soul about losing 22 pounds, simply because the only thing I'd get out of it would be unsolicited opinions. You know what I mean:

"Really, should you be eating that much/ that little/ that often/ that few times/ carbohydrates / (healthy) fat/" Etc.

If you tell a person you've lost weight, they take it as an invitation to tell you the most inane stuff. Someone referred to it as "The Diet Police" and that's a accurate description.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #55  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

The most annoying thing is when someone absolutely insists on telling you about their weight loss. I know this girl who just lost 22 lbs but she was so heavy before that you really couldn't tell. I could understand wanting to brag to close friends and family but we're just acquaintances. Even so I guess I could understand wanting to brag, but she was just acting strange. I was talking to my friend and she randomly sat down with us and said "I lose 22 lbs." We congratulated her and complimented her and went back to our conversation. But every time we tried to talk about anything else she brought it back to her weight loss. Of course we were polite and started talking about weight loss but I thought it was weird to shove your weight loss in someone's face like that. And it was like she was phobic of saying that she lost "weight" or lost "fat." She would say things like "I can't believe how inflamed I was. All I did was stop eating certain foods my body was allergic to and my body just became less inflamed." I don't know if inflamed is a euphemism for fat or if she actually thinks her body was puffed up due to an allergic reaction to certain foods but I just felt uncomfortable.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #56  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

Oh and I also hate when I talk about being overweight and my friends are like "stop it you're so thin!" I'm not one of those people who is afraid of saying I overweight or fat, I admit it! I have a stomach and lovehandles and big boobs! When my thin friends tell me I'm not fat I feel like they are saying it to make me feel better, as if being fat is a bad thing. When my fatter friends tell me I'm not fat I feel like they are downplaying whatever struggles I go through just because they think it's not as difficult for me. That's another reason I just avoid talking about my weight, nobody ever really knows how to respond in an appropriate way and I always end up feeling awkward
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #57  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Really the only people who know my daily routines/goals/progress reports are my boyfriend and my roommate, who are both big fans of eating well/exercise as part of life and would never accuse me of STARVING MYSELF or whatever other horseshit people will come up with. No one who is actually grounded/knowledgeable about diet and fitness would make such ludicrous comments or apply the logic of "IT WORKED FOR ME SO IT'S THE ONLY WAY FOR EVERYONE ELSE TOO."

Work is just me and my 36-year-old male boss (who would never comment on my body or food, period) so I don't have to deal with the chatter that comes with working in a large group of women.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #58  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

I cant tell anyone because if I do it's an auto-fail on my part. I feel like when ever i tell anyone about something I'm doing I automatically fail at it. Besides, it helps to cut down on the "helpful advice" that I don't want to get. I know what I am doing works. When I get stuck I will ask for help, because I get annoyed at the "helpful advice" everyone seems to have.
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote