Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #16  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I have so many mixed emotions on this one.

I have people I talk to it about constantly for many reasons: support, love, frustration, insight, help, etc.

However, it annoys me when people say "OMG! You've lost weight!" every time I see them. For a multitude of reasons - mostly because I feel like it's the routine thing you say to a fat person every time you see them.

I've lost over 100lbs so it's hard to hide it and at first I thrived in the compliments, now I'm just frustrated with myself for not hitting goal.

A lot of people ask me how, what, etc. for their own journey, too.

On the flip side - since I am still a big girl and do triathlons a lot of the skinny people there piss me off with their cheering because it almost feels condescending, (even though they're not trying to be.) I want to look at them and just scream, "I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!! STFU!!!"

What I've learned mostly is that people fighting the same journey as you, or have fought it want to talk about it and ask questions. Skinny people are curious and want to typically be supportive - but don't always know how since they haven't been through this. And some people just don't care.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Ha, really good to wake up and read all the responses. Glad I'm not the only one.

It's pretty obvious I've lost weight too, EXCEPT I moved across country about 10 pounds ago, so only a couple people here have seen me at my actual high weight, and they're not the type to bring it up (which is fine with me, and one reason I love 'em lol). I think I would feel less pressure or judged if these people had seen me at my high weight, because I'd feel more like I'd 'proven' myself and know what I'm doing. Yes, a little ridiculous.

Anyway I've decided to just take this and roll with it for now - stick to my plan 100% and hopefully feel like I've proven myself after the next 10 pounds roll off.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #18  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I don't like telling people unless I am consistently dropping the weight, and usually only if I had a huge victory of some sort. Otherwise I don't like telling people until they notice. But a lot more people notice without me saying anything which is always a bit of a motivating boost. Of course, I figured people would start seeing those changes by now

Last edited by Pink Hurricane; 10-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 237.2/197.6/137.2

Height: 5'3"

Default Nope

I don't like to tell people I am dieting. Now it is beginning to show and people are starting to talk. I don't like people talking about me or noticing me... that is the hardest part of this. I want to look better, but I don't want to draw attention to myself. I guess I have been hiding for so many years, hard to let people see me.
cdcn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I work in an incredibly catty and passive-aggressive office with a lot of women. They have their moments of kindness but in general is dog eat dog (or cat eat cat???). That is not an environment I'd want to be open about my weightloss. Let them figure it out on their own. If they comment, they comment. Oh well.

Otherwise, most of my friends know because I've mentioned my husband and I are trying to eat healthier and I am, as the perpetual hostess, only serving healthy treats for our get-togethers.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #21  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

I haven't told anyone I'm losing weight apart from close friends I see often, my coworkers, and close family. It's just easier with them because in an office where we're constantly receiving sweets and goodies, it's just easier to turn them down when people know I'm trying to lose weight. Same with my friends, because when we go out, I don't want them questioning why I'm not drinking or why I'm really picky on what I eat (since I'm sugar counting).

Otherwise, I was actually very tempted to post on Facebook that I am trying to lose weight. As personal as this is to me, I feel like having everyone know would actually motivate me to a certain extent. My only worry, like yours, is that with that added pressure to drop the weight, now all ### of my friends would know, and boy would it be embarrassing if I don't drop the weight!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I feel the same way. My close friends and family know but other than that, I'm keeping my mouth shut. Though I work in theater and everyone gossips, so people are bound to notice anyway... that's life. People like to talk about other people. I"m trying to develop a tough skin either way.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 373/364/190

Height: 5'11

It comes up a lot, many of the people I'm around are pretty much into the gym/fitness/diet stuff anyway, and I don't mind talking about it. But sometimes I think they're probably thinking.... yeah, fattie sure you're going to lose weight.... Kinda puts the pressure on. I've done it before, and I'm going to do it again. Can't wait til I've lost enough that people start noticing. I dont see a difference in the mirror, even after a 70lb loss, it's hard to feel like I'm doing all this work for nothing. But when someone else notices a change, totally makes it worth it.
TPA sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

I'm okay when people notice themselves, but I don't like bringing it up. I know people say when you start to do something you should tell everyone but I feel more pressure that way and I'd rather just do my thing. I feel like I'm jinxing it if I tell people.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 200/165/145/

Height: 5'0

Yes, I’ve learned that if I do that I then get mad if they shove food in my face and expect me to eat it.

Last edited by beth sebring; 10-31-2012 at 10:33 PM.
beth sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #26  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I didn't tell anyone I was losing weight...but after a while it was very obvious. I'm still running into people who haven't seen me since I lost weight and while I never thought I looked all that different, when I compare the pictures I really do understand when people are shocked or don't recognize me.

It was a pain when I was losing, but I would just keep doing my thing. There were times when I doubted myself but coming on here really helped me stay on track and keep going.

Now I'm the one people come to for advice. It's strange because for most of my life I would just sit there awkwardly while people talked about dieting, exercise, etc. Now I'm sort of pulled into that conversation each time it happens.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

I feel that pressure at times too, but I've also helped spur a few other people into a lifestyle change when they started asking questions and they've all lost 50+ lbs. each. I try to look at it as an annoyance I'll tolerate somehow because you never know when you'll end up helping someone else along the way. I like the positives that come from it!
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I will typically tell a few close friends, family members. But I too worry about the food police type of people.

I am the only woman where I work, at least at our location. ( I work for a JD dealership and there our 4 stores in our group. I am the only woman and work with 25 guys.)

I didn't say anything toguys that I was dieting, but they figured it out pretty quickly. We have "Grill Day" every Friday. It is like a mini-potluck. I bring my own lunch everyday of the week. I don't eat what we have for Grill Day. But I still eat with the group. All the guys are very supportive and have now been commenting on my progress. And because they are guys they have little interest in what plan I am following or how many calories I eat. I like it that way!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

I try not to bring it up unless they notice. It's just an awkward topic usually and nobody really cares until you've dropped massive weight.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I haven't told anyone I've changed my lifestyle. The only thing telling someone you're losing weight accomplishes is unsolicited advice.

Though I've been told I looked slim and I've lost weight. I've also been asked if I'm doing a diet since my ex-flatmate has noticed me eating oatmeal for breakfast.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote