Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/265/150

Height: 5'9"

Default I think I'm wasting money because gyms freak me out.

$20 a month for nothing. I'm scared s#ˇ+less to be seen by anyone I might know or fit people who are there to maintain their active lifestyle. I feel like they see me and think "Look at that fatty trying to work out. She's hilarious!" I don't know if I'm just that self-conscious or what... I can't be the only one with this problem. Or maybe. I don't know.
KatieBabyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #2  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I can assure you that either no one is paying attention to you, they appreciate that you're there working just like they are, or they aren't worth your energy. Possibly some combination of all three. But I know that doesn't make it better.

I personally hate the gym. I gave it a go for a while and enjoyed a couple of classes, but I found the set schedule interfered with my daily life (or my life interfered with my schedule) and eventually it was really just a waste of money. The gym isn't for everyone.

If you want to make the gym work, you might consider getting a friend to go with you. It's motivating to be meeting someone there so that you can't come up with excuses to back out. What I eventually did was drop the membership this past spring and am using the money I save to acquire some equipment. When it's warm I'd rather be outside hiking anyway. This could be a good opportunity to conquer your fear, but you don't want something to hold you back from exercising either.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

PLEASE read that. It might just change your mind.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #4  

Wow. I didn't realize people thought that. I've spent most of my life being made fun of and laughed at throughout my school years. I guess I let those kids get into my head. I know I'm being a bitter you-know-what here, but I kinda feel better when I see some of those former skinny kids nowadays and they are in the same shape as me. That's karma.
I'm gonna have to kick myself into gear and lose what they've gained.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBabyy View Post
$20 a month for nothing. I'm scared s#ˇ+less to be seen by anyone I might know or fit people who are there to maintain their active lifestyle. I feel like they see me and think "Look at that fatty trying to work out. She's hilarious!" I don't know if I'm just that self-conscious or what... I can't be the only one with this problem. Or maybe. I don't know.

I promise you. Nobody thinks that. And IF by chance anyone did, they have bigger issues than anyone. When you go to the gym, you will see ALL shapes and sizes there. And when you start your workout, you are in your workout, it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing. Hang in there. I know it can be scary, but the gym is not like that. And you will see all kinds there. Baby steps. Maybe go walk on a treadmill for 10 minutes and you will see it's not so scary after all.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

When I first started running outside I had those same fears: that I would get dirty looks, laughed at, etc. I have experienced the complete opposite: people giving me 'thumbs up', saying 'way to go', smiling, etc.

As I have gotten better at running I care less and less what anyone thinks and run with confidence. Anyone who would make fun of someone for trying to better themselves has issues, and my fat a$$ is not one of them .

Get out there and hold you head up high!

Last edited by westcoast rosa; 10-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

The super egotistical people at the gym are looking at themselves in the mirror and notice no one else. All the others, if they notice you at all, I'm certain are not thinking anything bad. Why would they!? Gyms are for people working on their bodies, no one starts with a perfect one! Some are just father along than others. When you are frolicking around in the gym when you are at your goal, will you be judging the begginers? NO way, you will related and think "good for you!", and I'm sure that's what others are thinking about you now, if they are thinking anything at all.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #8  

Well, I did it. I made my fiancé promise to make me go to the gym even if I'm kicking and screaming, and he kept his promise. I walked 3 mph for 35 minutes, and he was jogging right there next to me. And you know what? I feel really freakin' good now!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBabyy View Post
Well, I did it. I made my fiancé promise to make me go to the gym even if I'm kicking and screaming, and he kept his promise. I walked 3 mph for 35 minutes, and he was jogging right there next to me. And you know what? I feel really freakin' good now!
Awesome!! Way to go!
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #10  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Peole stop to tell me what a good job they see me doing everyday at the Y. They tell me they're proud of me and they tell me they notice I'm slimming down. I'm there 6 days a week for at least 3 hours a day so I've become familiar to them. Occasionally someone who hasn't seen me before will have an expression on their face like they weren't expected me to start running around the track. I'm getting pretty quick for a big girl, lol. But I have never once gotten a dirty look or negative comment.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #11  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Giiiirl, I feel you on this one. I go to my university's gym- which means, at any given time, it seems like it's filled to the brim with 20-something guys trying to get huge and already skinny girls prancing around on ellipticals (and some everyday people in there too ).

To be completely honest, you ARE being self-conscious. But, I *definitely* felt that same way too. It's what kept me from going to said gym 2 years ago when I'd already paid for a membership. I was about 224 when I finally started going, and was easily the biggest person there.

Guess what? (I was probably the girl that SoMuchFattitude's link refers to, but still..) Not one person ever ANYTHING to me! It took me a long time, but I eventually realized the fear of judgment I was expecting from everyone else was just something I was hyping up in my head!

Great job on your workout and keep it up!!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #12  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I know how you feel but I can promise you that you won't get weird reactions or anything like that by going to a gym. I used to feel the exact same way, especially when I run at the park because there are other people sitting around watching me while they watch their kids or whatever they are doing. I just giggle to myself because instead of playing with their kids and having fun they are watching me. Music helps keep my thoughts low key. But the whole purpose of the gym and working out is to get healthier, easier said than done but don't worry about what other people think of you working out!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post

I almost felt like crying, this is beautiful. Thank you for posting it!

@OP - Every time I see a bigger person walk by, I think, "Way to go, that's awesome". A year ago, I was one of those bigger people. I'd never make fun of someone I see struggling, ever. And those who would, they're not worth a second glance, honestly. That kind of behavior shows an unattractiveness that can't be fixed with push-ups or jogging or any other manner of exercise.

I'm glad you made it to the gym.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post

This is so awesome! Literally brought me to tears!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I usually do my exercising at home but this thread has pushed me to start leaving my pup with my mom a couple of days a week so I can hit the gym after work. I have no problem going and getting on the equipment I've used before but do get anxiety trying to figure out the weight machines or the rowing machine, which I've really been wanting to try. Tomorrow morning I'm taking my little sis and I'm going to figure them out regardless of who's watching. So thank you!

And that link brought tears to my eyes.
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote