3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Cheat Days?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/265924-cheat-days.html)

leighish 09-09-2012 10:48 PM

Cheat Days??

Do you allow yourself a cheat day (or rather, meal) in which you let yourself splurge a little? When and how often? My husband and I were discussing cheat days recently and he seems to want one every day :dizzy: where as I'm okay with aiming for occasions where it would be unavoidable to do otherwise.

I think once weekly *could* be okay but that still sounds like a little too much to me.

Candeka 09-09-2012 10:50 PM

Weekends. Mostly because my husband is home and thats when we are running about and he always wants to stop somewhere to eat. Then I am back on plan from Monday-Friday. Saturdays are the worst where as Sundays can go either way.

danzingurl77 09-09-2012 11:04 PM

I used to allow myself one once a week- usually Sunday- but it turned into a pig-out day... and I never lost any weight. The most successful I have ever been (I count calories) was when I would calorie-cycle. So- once each week I would have a high day. I still ate reasonably, just a little bit more calories for whatever I felt like I needed- whether that was just an extra bit of protein and fruits, or a cupcake that still fit into my calorie "budget" for the day. that way I wasn't just blowing a whole week of work in a few hours.

Atarimae 09-09-2012 11:50 PM

Prior to my little falling off the bandwagon incident, I never really allowed a cheat day. For me, it was more of if I know I'll be going out and eating/drinking, I'd be a little more calorie conscious with the other meals I'd have that day.

graciegoose13 09-10-2012 12:42 AM

I had to rewire my brain completely when it comes to "cheating".

Before, I'd say, "Okay, it's a free day!" and binge like a crazy person. Then I would wonder why I was stalling and even gaining some weight. I've been most successful when I look at my eating more like a balance. Like Atarimae said, if I know I'm going to be eating at a restaurant, going to a party, or potentially eating something high in calories, I compensate for that by working my other meals around that. I also try to remain more conscience now when eating "cheat" meals. Yes, I might be eating cake, but do I really need to eat a huge slice? Before I would have thought, "UM DUH, ITS MY CHEAT MEAL" but now I try to be satisfied with less (sometimes successfully other times not successfully--but I'm working at it!). I found that by view food and "cheating" like that, my weight loss efforts have seemed much more manageable!

knoxie 09-10-2012 02:47 AM

It used to be Sundays but with weigh-ins on Monday morning it was never going to be a good idea :^: I've since decided that cheat 'days' or planned cheat events don't really work for me, so I try now to move away just have something the day/time I want it rather than build a mental list of all the junk I'm going to have whenever my cheat time rolls around.

MaddieBPhoto 09-10-2012 01:50 PM

I did cheat days every Sunday while I was losing the majority of my weight. I still lost 2-3lbs every week with my binge day...and I do mean binge! Now that I'm close to goal, I'm not doing it as often. I have that trip in October I was telling you about & I'm just holding off until then so I can get as low as my body will let me before the trip. I'll be eating lots of southern home cookin' so no weight will be lost at that trip :)

krampus 09-10-2012 01:53 PM

Every day is a potential cheat day - I really try to save it for "worth it" occasions. I don't need a designated day to eat certain foods/treats; knowing the way my brain works having such a day would = binging for the sake of binging.

leighish 09-10-2012 01:55 PM

Krampus I'm with you. I'm currently holding out for my daughter's birthday party which is October 6th. I'm more than sure I can remain OP until then.

coolacrity 09-10-2012 07:31 PM

Weekends are usually my cheat days. BUT. I always do these things to offset it a bit:

1. Don't skimp on my water. In fact, that's the only sort of beverage I will have, especially on those days.
2. Exercise my butt off. Nothing dangerous, but like...power walk two miles twice that day, or walk 2 miles and do water aerobics, stuff that won't kill me.
3. Cheat around lunchtime. Gives me time to actually use the calories I plan on inhaling. Never cheat around dinner if you can help it. Screws up your night, in my opinion. Have a light dinner. Whether you snack at all that day depends on what you ate.

So...once or twice a week really isn't bad. But hey, that's my opinion. I am still losing the majority of my weight. When I'm down some more (maybe on the edge of onederland), I'll probably back off a lot.

Samantha Daisy 09-10-2012 08:19 PM

I do cheat days every sunday- I weigh in sunday morning and then eat whatever I want the whole day. Then monday I get back on track and eat good monday-saturday. It works for me!

alaskanlaughter 09-10-2012 11:14 PM

i dont have cheat days but i do have cheat "items" once in awhile...once every two weeks we have pizza for dinner and i have alot...once a month right before TOM i will eat a pint of ben n jerry ice cream...other than that, i dont really "cheat"....however since i calorie count, cheating really just means eating over my calorie allotment rather than eating "forbidden" foods...

slicedbreadbox 09-11-2012 03:14 AM

i'm finding it easier to stay away from cheat days since i've been staying on plan. i don't crave the bad stuff as much anymore. but that's not to say i don't crave it at all.

and when i do get off course, it just makes me want to get even more off course. i don't like that battle of getting back on track. i used to do cheat days and it became binge days.

with that said however, my birthday is this week and i would definitely like to indulge a little bit. i'm just hoping that it doesn't lead to a gain next week.

i just try to ask myself if what i'm about to eat will help me get to where i want to be.

Blcarter84 09-11-2012 10:55 AM

Every day lately has been a struggle for me, I wake up and do GREAT!! I think to myself I'm gonna do this, but by the time I go to sleep I've already done or not done the things I said I was/wasn't going to do that day. I'm still losing but VERY slowly and I keep going up and down. I really need to stay focused like I was at the beginning of May!!

Back on the subject though, I never allow myself a cheat day. More of everything in moderation even on special occasions:) Otherwise I get thrown completely off track and its too hard to get back on the wagon for me.

Silly Rabbit 09-11-2012 03:43 PM

I never do a weekly cheat day - it just doesn't work for me. I do give myself an occasional special event (Christmas, my birthday or like today - my parents wedding anniversary) do have a cheat meal, but that's it. Once a month a small cheat is fine, any more and I'm in serious trouble.