Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Default Trying to avoid buying new clothes but.......

For the past 2 years I have avoided buying new clothed because I planned on losing weight. Well I still haven't lost any weight and I've actually out on weight. A lot of clothes are old and some of them just are just too tight.

I really want to lose weight and want to avoid buying any new clothes. But I just got a new job and I need new work cloths.

Its so frustrating because I actually have tons of nice clothing to wear but it they don't fit anymore. I use to be a 14/16 now I'm a 18/20( and even that's a tight fit for me).

I really plan on losing weight this time. But what am I suppose to wear until then. And I'm currently living in the country Qatar where there is only like 2 plus size store and they are quite pricey.

Aaaahhh this is so frustrating.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Buy separates. Can you wear slacks? Get slacks or a skirt in a basic color, black. beige, or navy and get as many shirts as you can afford in different colors, this will look like you actually have more clothes than you do. Don't get many , wash them out at night and they will be clean for another wearing. Here is what I would do, buy two skirts (or slacks if it is permissible) One black skirt and one beige and 3 blouses , one red, one a multi color print and one white. You can wear either skirt with any of the blouses and it will look like you have lot of clothes.

Last edited by bargoo; 09-02-2012 at 05:28 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

One to two good pairs of pants and cardigans make a work wardrobe easy. Then all you have to buy is a bit of variety in shirts, and you should be fine. Good luck with shopping and trying to lose weight!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/193/175

I agree with the others. I think one of the worst things a heavy person can do is dress themselves in ill fitting clothes. It just brings more attention to yourself.
btrinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Can you buy stuff on ebay? You can find lots of new/gently used clothes on there.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Check out this community on Livejournal; lots of people selling plus sized clothes for cheap

http://fatshionxchange.livejournal.com/

Otherwise I agree with the above posters and I would like to add that you should try to find things that you could still wear as you drop sizes (pants might be difficult, but flowy tops can usually last you a while).
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

like another poster said, ebay.. or if there are any second hand stores around you?
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

This is an issue I often see in weight-loss websites and I really needed to comment this time.

If you currently have clothes that are smaller size or very tight then reality is... well you've got no clothes.

I know we all want to save for when we get to smaller sizes but this really, as I have seen, can be one big trap. Usually what happens is:

Scenario 1: One wears something extremely tight and looks like a sausage, tied with strings. It looks horrible, it makes you look fat, it is not good for the self-esteem and if you're an emotional eater... well you eat to vent frustration. This is not good and I know! I was guilty for doing it!

Scenario 2:You lose weight...YAY! But you never buy new clothes until you reach the desired weight. This leads to looking like you are wearing a sack, you actually look fatter than you really are and most people look at you with that all-fat-people-look-like-dishevelled-heaps look. Not good either because when people give you this looks it discourages you and you end up eating. Best friend does this scenario and it fails as well.

So what do I propose?

Buy a few clothes. It can be just a pair of trousers and a few tops to match, but really buy some clothes. And try having your work clothes fit you nicely. From personal experience bosses don't appreciate scruffy employers, whether they are big or small in size.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9  
*_*
Long-time Lurker

S/C/G: 115kg/66kg/65kg

Well hello neighbor! Nice to see someone from Qatar on the forums!

My first step to getting into weight-loss mode this time round was buying new, bigger clothes that actually fit me at my highest weight. Somehow buying new clothes made me feel like I was worth it and it all started from there. Unfortunately I recently gave away most of those clothes (many new with tags!) otherwise I'd have loved to pass them on. I know how difficult it is to shop for larger sizes in this part of the world.

My suggestion: if your work permits, wear an abaya! It is a lifesaver in these situations! You can have a couple of nice abayas tailor-made for around 500-1000 riyals depending on how fancy they are and you can wear them for months alternating between the two.

And always remember: You can do it!

If you need any help or have any questions please feel free to PM me.
*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192.6/ticker/150

Height: 5'6.5

I am so guilty of this! I literally have clothes that are from highschool (I am 24 now mind you) and I keep holding on to my cute little clothes thinking that I will "definetly lose weight and wear all these clothes agian" so in the mean time I either squeeze into some old things or buy a few things that fit me but I have such a variety of sizes it's ridiculous! I decided that finally now, when I change my summer wardrobe to my winter one, I will get rid of all my old clothes! Then- If I finally end up getting to my goal weight then I will just buy a bunch of new clothes that fit me perfectly at the weight I end up at!

I say just swallow your pride and buy clothes that fit you now. I know it's hard because you know you're going to lose weight, but at least in the mean time you will look good in clothes that fit you now! You don't have to buy an entire wardrobe, but at least get a couple pants and shirts that you can mix and match, use accessories that you already have to dress up/dress down the styles and make the outfits look different. You can even go to a thrift store or a garage sale to find some clothes! Try some cheap online stores like forever 21 and old navy who both have plus size sections. Good luck!
Samantha Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Yes...a few core pieces to tide you over! Then, get busy tackling the real issue. Good luck!!
Laurlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Daisy View Post
I am so guilty of this! I literally have clothes that are from highschool (I am 24 now mind you) and I keep holding on to my cute little clothes thinking that I will "definetly lose weight and wear all these clothes agian" so in the mean time I either squeeze into some old things or buy a few things that fit me but I have such a variety of sizes it's ridiculous! I decided that finally now, when I change my summer wardrobe to my winter one, I will get rid of all my old clothes! Then- If I finally end up getting to my goal weight then I will just buy a bunch of new clothes that fit me perfectly at the weight I end up at!

I say just swallow your pride and buy clothes that fit you now. I know it's hard because you know you're going to lose weight, but at least in the mean time you will look good in clothes that fit you now! You don't have to buy an entire wardrobe, but at least get a couple pants and shirts that you can mix and match, use accessories that you already have to dress up/dress down the styles and make the outfits look different. You can even go to a thrift store or a garage sale to find some clothes! Try some cheap online stores like forever 21 and old navy who both have plus size sections. Good luck!
I'm the same age as you and I had clothes from MIDDLE SCHOOL which hadn't fit me in years. Thank god I was a packrat though; they came in handy last year when I was losing weight over the summer. Towards the very end of the summer the 12s and 10s my mom gave me were too big, but the clothes I hoarded from middle school fit and I was able to squeak by lol
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #13  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

thank you all for your advice and suggestions. i think i will go ahead and get a few pieces of clothing. im tired of being uncomfortable in my tight clothing.

i feel like a giant sometimes when i get dressed.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #14  

My son is 17 years old and he told me yesterday that he's not going to shave until he loses weight. Hmm, I told him that's like women who don't buy new clothes until they lose weight. Anyway, shaving is not a reward for losing weight, it's something he just needs to do. Just like you need to buy new clothes in the correct size. When you lose weight you'll need to buy clothes again. My son is still hairy and his friends are making fun of him...
Echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote