3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Taking two similar classes at once (college registration) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/262596-taking-two-similar-classes-once-college-registration.html)

SoCalCowgirl 07-09-2012 04:11 PM

Taking two similar classes at once (college registration)

Hey all, I don't post in this section much but I figured you'd guys be able to give me your opinion. I'm looking at classes to take in the fall, and I register on Wednesday. What has your experience of taking two classes on a the same subject at once?

I'm thinking of taking two history classes this coming semester, Political Science 1 and History 20. History 20 is The American History through the Civil War, and Political Science is the context of American Government but mainly focusing on California's policies. I'm good at history and history will be my major though, I need these classes for general ed. Do you think taking two history/government classes at once would be to confusing, or if you've taken these classes are they different enough to where they won't be too confusing?

I really hate registering for classes, it's so stressfull agh!

fatbookworm 07-09-2012 04:43 PM

I did a similar thing once earlier in my college career (I'm in the student teaching/senior year part of my English/Secondary Ed. BA now). It actually wasn't confusing at all for me, but helpful. As you suspect, a lot of the material overlaps, but in my case one class covered the material a little bit after the other, so I already knew a lot of it by the time I got to the second class! I found the two classes reinforced each other, rather than confused me. But your mileage may vary. Part of it might be how many essays and tests you have in each class, too. Regardless, good luck on a great semester!

Mimi21 07-09-2012 05:17 PM

I think taking those two classes concurrently would be advantageous to you actually. You'll see a lot of similarities, sure, but I imagine you'd understand the material a lot better and your study sessions would be much more concise. Even though it sounds like the workload might be a little on the heavy side (but hey, this is college, we knew what we were getting into), a lot of the work you do in one class can be used in the other in essays, presentations etc. I think it's a good idea. Good luck!!

lexie67 07-09-2012 05:17 PM

It sounds to me like the classes are different enough that you'll be fine, especially since you're interested in the subject matter.

SoCalCowgirl 07-09-2012 05:24 PM

thanks for the help fatbookworm, I think I'd be ok with taking the two at once and it would be a big plus if one class ended up helping me out some in the other. I'm still working on making a possible schedule so I'm still undecided if I'll take the two classes at once but it's still a possiblility :)

SoCalCowgirl 07-09-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks guys so much for helping me decide, I'm feeling more confident about taking the two at once. I think my favorite schedule is going to be Writing 1, Political Science 1, History 20 and Math 353. If I don't end up taking both history/government classes I'll probably replace History 20 with Psychology 1. Either schedule is going to put me at 15 units, which is going to be a lot and is going to be a lot of hard work, but like Mimi said its college lol. I just hope the school will let me take all the classes because I'm on academic probation from 4 years ago when I dropped out of college (really wasn't thinking at the time) without dropping the classes and ended up getting F's that last semester dropping my GPA way below a 2.0. I decided to go back to school in Fall 11' and I've been getting all A's and B's and working on getting my G.P.A. up, so I really hope my college won't limit me on the number of units that I take, I really hope I get these classes.

MedChick87 07-09-2012 06:01 PM

Coming from someone taking both macro and microeconomics at the same time currently, I'd say go for it! It especially helps if one professor is not as good at explaining things. My micro professor gives very confusing lectures, so I often use my macro class to help explain certain topics.

glittergation 07-09-2012 09:46 PM

I'm a law student and a lot of the terms of art are similar from class to class. I found it okay, you just have to segment things. For instance, criminal law is very similar to torts but you just have to spend so much tiime with the material that you can tell the difference and sometimes that will spur comparisons between the two and you'll have a really good big picture of how theory works and how each segment works. Good luck!

sontaikle 07-10-2012 05:33 AM

My schedule in undergrad looked like that A LOT. I was a history major/education minor with a global studies program to boot and many of my global studies classes and history classes were similar. It really helped me out in each one! It won't be confusing and like others said it would probably be to your advantage.

When I was getting my Master's it was the same deal. I was doing General Education and Special Education at the same time and taking similar classes. I brought a different perspective to some classes because I was seeing both sides. :)

mamamorgan 07-12-2012 08:29 AM

I don't think it will be a problem. Like pp said, it will give you a bigger perspective.

I'm a communications major, so I take alot of similiar classes, well at least starting this semester because I'm done with all my general studies stuff. So now I am starting all the fun classes that actually pretain to my degree. I'm take two writing classes & two communication classes this semester. Just registered yesterday!

Good luck!

EliFritsch 12-27-2022 04:41 AM

You're doubling your chances to grasp the subject matter, deepen your understanding, and become a true expert. So, whether you're waiting for that lottery payout or diving into two classes simultaneously, the anticipation and dedication are all part of the adventure that makes life so enriching! For more information on the lottery payout, check out this insightful article https://www.vconews.it/2023/08/30/le...o-i-soldi.html It's a fascinating read that can provide some valuable insights into handling the exciting wait for your big win. Good luck in both your classes and any lottery tickets you might hold!

Dustin A Maynard 02-19-2024 07:59 AM

Taking two similar classes simultaneously can be challenging, especially when it comes to managing assignments and studying for exams. In such situations, it's easy to feel overwhelmed. To ensure success, I've found that better to pay for an essay Its can be beneficial. By delegating some of the workload, I can focus better on each class and improve my overall academic performance.

KeithSwartz 04-22-2024 03:04 PM

Thank you