Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Getting ON the %$%@#%$ wagon

So, the food wagon keeps rolling away from me!

I'm doing great with the exercise wagon, regular walks, haven't missed a gym session yet, etc. BUT, food is tougher. I always cheat, just a little bit, and it screws up my head space for the rest of the day.

Like yesterday, I had a chicken burger for lunch and that ended with an extra cheese roll at supper....

Today, I snagged a Timbit (for non-canadians, it's like a mini donut) at a staff meeting. I've managed to keep it under control thus far. But I'm concerned that tonight I'll derail myself again due to this one little slip up...

I know the analogy that one doesn't run every red light on the way home after missing a stop sign, so one shouldn't keep cheating after one cheat...but my head rejects all logic!

Any tips, advice?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

You're being mindful. Mindfulness is a step up on the proverbial wagon! Think about the "before" - would you even notice if you overate?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #3  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

You're going to have to move away from the mentality of "cheating" and "bad" food to get away from your reactions, I think. Food is neither good nor bad. You aren't breaking any rules, and you don't deserve to be punished. Food is fuel. Some choices are more optimal than others. When you make a sub-optimal choice, move on. It's easiest if you have a strong core of beliefs to return to - for me, I think it's easiest if foods are framed in terms of health. You want to do what's best for your body, right? So after you slip-up and make a choice that doesn't further those goals, remind yourself why you've chosen to make your diet a priority - and go back to helping yourself achieve the goal.

It's all easier said than done. Practice and self-compassion will get you there.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

It doesn't sound like you are going WAY overboard or anything, and it's important to allow yourself small indulgences now and again. I always tell myself I can have a treat when we do our monthly family potlucks, because someone always brings something really yummy that I want to eat, so I plan to do it in advance. But even then, I don't eat as much of it as I used to, and generally stay on plan for the main meal, and tend to just have a bit of dessert that I normally wouldn't.

It only happens once a month, so I don't really worry about it too much. But if someone brings treats into work or home, or somewhere that I go on a regular basis, I do my best to avoid them.

If you're only having a little timbit when you would have normally had a few, then you are doing good.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You say in another thread that you eat 1200 calories a day. Maybe it's not enough for you? You can still eat more and lose weight—it might make it easier to stay on track.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

1200 is the goal...I chose a low goal especially because I know myself and I know that having one that just -barely- gets me to weight loss would fail because I'd break it too often. The idea is to "trick" myself into thinking I've been bad long before I've actually screwed up the day entirely.

I know I'm veering off the path of classic calorie counting in this way, but it seems to work for me

Last edited by Katbot24; 05-31-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #7  

I used to have issues where if I had emotional problems or whatever, I would think "OK the one thing I will slack off on is my diet" and I would regain the 20 lbs I lost, because food gave me relief. Now I tell myself "Clearly if these little cheats and indulgences or whatever I am doing that is causing me a stall/regain was truly making me happy I would not feel miserable the next day. And no matter how much I try to tell myself that its OK, it was just that once, etc, I always know that its not and I am always unhappy. So lets try to do something that will make me happy the next day and just tell myself no sometimes" And no matter how sh*tty I felt, I would sit on my hands basically for 2 weeks - no junk foods at all, just because it gave me that extra boost-like hey I can do this. I recommend being clean for 2 weeks just to prove to yourself that you can, and then decide from there how many treats you want. I find that everytime I push my limits, I can always go a little further, as long as its something that makes ME feel happy. There are plenty of diet plans that didn't (like weightwatchers) but something like intermittent fasting does. Its not really the same situation as yours, but this might help.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Are you planning your meals so that you are sufficiently fed througout the day within your calorie limits?

From some of your posts it seems like your calories are set too low, you aren't planning your meals and then you are eating more than your calorie limits.

You can't out exercise over-eating. Maybe cut back on gym time and use that time to plan out your meals and prepare you foods.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

I agree with seagirl.... planning really does make all the difference. As far as your calorie limits, I do understand that every is different. However, you might not be getting all the nutrients you need at that level. I find that when I am getting everything I NEED nutritionally, I have much fewer cravings! I would seriously consider raising your calorie limit, 1200 is pretty low. Also, maybe when you're doing your planning, you could save room for a treat at the end of the day for you to look forward to. That way, you could say to yourself, "I don't need to eat this now because I have that treat later to look forward to!" Good luck!!
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote