I bought a bike!! lol

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Hi Caramelkitty! I have been riding my bike to the gym, around 14 km total, instead of driving for a couple of months now. I absolutely love the trip to the gym but I'm lucky because I have a bike lane. I don't trust drivers and I usually go by the sidewalks too. Before that, I was driving to the gym to do my spin class there but I so much prefer go cycling and have time to do my yoga at the gym, hehe.

I'm pear shaped too. I think I notice the bike effects more in my butt than in my thights. But I have to say that the bigger changes are coming from strengh training. I mean cardio is very good for your health and I love my trips on my bike but to see real changes I had to go the strenght training route.

Anyway hope you get your confidence with your bike and have fun. I also think being outdoors is so nice for you just to clear your head, get some sunshine and if you have the opportunity to go with your boyfriend what's better than a healthy date with your bike, stopping for a picnic somewhere, getting to know new places. And I have to say whenever I see people riding bikes leisurely they all have such a beautiful smile on their faces, I love that.
  • I want a bike! But I'm terrified as well of it because I was bike riding 8 years ago and it was a sharp turn/hill and I ran into a fence I walked the bike all the way home -.-
  • I had a bad experience with bikes too. I was on vacation and my friends and I decided to go couple bike riding. So I was on the crappy old bike with this guy friend and while we were riding it, it came to a full stop and just BROKE. Like there was a dent on the bike and one of the tires just gave up on us. Now, he was super skinny, so it has to be me right? I was petrified after that! And here's the thing... I was only like 145 pounds at that time!! Darn crappy bikes I remember having a load of fun before it broke down though, LOL! Good for you for buying a bike! I don't think I'll ever step foot onto another bike unless I'm 120 pounds at goal weight, LOL.
  • I live in south FLORIDA where its just too dang hot to ride bikes!!! darn!!!!
  • I got a hybrid bike last summer from Electra. I love it, it's amazing and super cute. I usually ride around 5 miles but the past two weeks we've been going around 7 and doing all kinda of new routes. I have incredibly strong thighs, so it takes a super hard workout to make those burn, but my calves are definitely starting to look better. I find bike riding to be more relaxing than most forms of exercise, so I'm having fun with it. I hope you do as well!

lynnmarie, I am from New Orleans and live in Houston... We've been riding through 95-110 degree heat indexes lately, so I feel your pain! It's hard to get out there and WANT to do it, but since you're kind of making your own wind, it's really not bad once you get started! We're lucky enough to have trails in the woods, though. Do some research to see if you can find safe, shaded trails and try some short rides in the evening, maybe about an hour before it starts getting dark. You might be surprised!