Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Increase in measurements despite dieting and working out

I've restarted my diet and exercise about 4 weeks ago. I was down to 155 3 months ago and gained 10 lbs back so I knew it was time. I was 165 when I started to work out. Since then, I've gained 2 lbs, no big deal really, but my measurements have also gone up. I'm counting calories online and staying at about 1500/day and making sure those calories count with healthy food. I'm also working out with a personal trainer twice a week doing various ab work outs, lunges, etc. So what gives? I'm going to keep working out with my trainer, but it's kind of discouraging when my jeans are getting tighter after getting healthier
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I can completely understand how that would be frustrating... and the only thing I can think it may be, is that your muscles are growing at a faster rate than the fat is coming off...? So perhaps adding a bit more cardio and focusing a little bit less on the weight training right now might make a difference. I'm not 100% sure... It could also be inflammation, bloating maybe. Have you mentioned this to your trainer?
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Where are you in your cycle vs. where you were when you first had your measurements done?

PMS bloat can make a loose pair of pants impossible to button, for me. I retain water no matter what I do! Try and track your cycle and see if it correlates. I bet that's what it is!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Its really unlikely to be muscle weight. I mean, it would be NICE but I did a bit of research on this in the past and my personal trainer has confirmed, that as a women you'd be lucky to gain a kilo or 2 in muscle A YEAR let alone 2lb (nearly half a kilo) in a month. And that would be if you were absolutely slaughtering yourself at the gym everyday.

How accurately are you calorie counting? Are you measuring your food? Checking portion sizes on boxes of things you eat, like cereal or whatever? It could also be water I guess, are your muscles sore? Perhaps your personal trainer is also a good person to ask, I'm sure they're seen this kind of thing before
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5' 4.5"

I find that when I started strength training for I change up my routine I hold of to more water when my muscles are sore and trying to keep up. There for I feel fluffy. PMS does the fluffy bit to me too....
Melissa Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Where are you in your cycle vs. where you were when you first had your measurements done?

PMS bloat can make a loose pair of pants impossible to button, for me. I retain water no matter what I do! Try and track your cycle and see if it correlates. I bet that's what it is!
I just came off of the pill, so my cycle is wonky. My withdrawl period just ended a week ago though, so I'm not so sure it's bloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAnn View Post
I can completely understand how that would be frustrating... and the only thing I can think it may be, is that your muscles are growing at a faster rate than the fat is coming off...? So perhaps adding a bit more cardio and focusing a little bit less on the weight training right now might make a difference. I'm not 100% sure... It could also be inflammation, bloating maybe. Have you mentioned this to your trainer?
I haven't mentioned it to my trainer. I'm seeing her again tomorrow so I plan on it. When I was just doing cardio my measurements dropped so fast.. maybe it is the weights?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
Its really unlikely to be muscle weight. I mean, it would be NICE but I did a bit of research on this in the past and my personal trainer has confirmed, that as a women you'd be lucky to gain a kilo or 2 in muscle A YEAR let alone 2lb (nearly half a kilo) in a month. And that would be if you were absolutely slaughtering yourself at the gym everyday.

How accurately are you calorie counting? Are you measuring your food? Checking portion sizes on boxes of things you eat, like cereal or whatever? It could also be water I guess, are your muscles sore? Perhaps your personal trainer is also a good person to ask, I'm sure they're seen this kind of thing before
I'm very accurate with my counting. If anything, I try to add in a few more if I'm unsure. I measure everything as best I can without a scale. I use a measuring cup for any cereal, I put in the calories from every label as well. On my intense workout days or active days, like saturday when I burned over 900 calories walking around all day, I ate a bit more to make sure my body had the right energy. I even got rid of pop and cut back on salt, so the bloat is just frustrating.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

This has happened to me on a few occasions, just stick with it and the results you're after will follow. It sounds like your doing all the right things. I found that when I started my diet/exercise regime my measurements and weight went up instead of down for a few weeks, I put it down to my body getting used to more exercise, less/different food. Definitely talk to your trainer though I'm sure she'll be able to put your mind at rest. Good luck!
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

If you just started all of this exercise it could be water retention. Are you drinking enough water? You sound like you've got your eating down, so it can't be actual fat gain.

Sometimes people forget that water weight means that the water has to be somewhere! I know after a tough weight training workout I hold water in my upper body and sometimes my shirts are tighter in the sleeves
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #10  

I agree, when you are working out hard, your muscles are hanging onto lots of water, this will increase not only the scale weight, but also measurements.

I have also heard it is very hard for females to gain even 5 pounds in a year eating at a surplus, next to impossible eating at a deficit.

Just water, don't worry, it will all catch up and you will probably whoosh and shrink.

That on top of your hormones being messed up right now, it will be very hard to see your true results, but they are there and will show up soon, keep at it!

Last edited by jomatho; 04-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #11  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Double check your calorie numbers to make sure you're actually at a deficit. If you are, chalk it up to water weight gain. If you're only working out 2x/week you could add some more to burn more calories as well.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #12  

I'm hoping it is just water. I'm drinking about 2 bottles a day of water in addition to green tea, so I'm hoping if I just keep going it will eventually whoosh away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapedself View Post
Double check your calorie numbers to make sure you're actually at a deficit. If you are, chalk it up to water weight gain. If you're only working out 2x/week you could add some more to burn more calories as well.
I definitely make sure my calories are in check. I write down everything I eat using about.com's calorie counter. I'm trying to workout more, but with working 40 hours a week and going to school full time it's hard to get those in. I am active throughout the day though. My work involves being on my feet for about 7 hours of my 10 hour shift, which is walking around and carrying a 5lb computer. That's why this is bugging me so much. The only time I'm not active is when I'm studying or in class.. which is about 30 hours/week.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #13  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I can see how it frustrates but from all teh replies here you can see that you have naught to worry. The weight will come eventually. Waterweight seems the most plausible thing. I upped my cardio and added weights and now I am not seeing the scale move for a few weeks. I chalk it up to waterweight and can't wait to eventually find out how much I actually lost in that time .
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli21 View Post
I'm very accurate with my counting. If anything, I try to add in a few more if I'm unsure. I measure everything as best I can without a scale. I use a measuring cup for any cereal
These statements are very contradictory. You CANT be accurate without a scale, a digital food scale, and even THAT is not 100%. Measuring cups and spoons are fine, IF THEY ARE WORKING, it doesnt sound like they are though? And youre small anyway..... you have way less "give" then someone much larger.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a food scale if counting cals is your method of weight loss....
Measuring cups could leave you off by HUNDREDS OF CALORIES PER DAY. LITERALLY. ESPECIALLY on foods like cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, and anything else calorically dense. I mean , if youre going to put the effort into doing it, then do it right, know what i mean?

Of course you havent gained anything but water weight, however, lets be real, when someone first starts dieting, that is when they lose the largest amount of weight (those first two weeks) Of course, its 95% water/glycogen, but thats another topic. If youre not dropping quickly andd you just started, then you are not in nearly as much of a deficit as you think you are, and thats a VERY common thing.

Fat loss is that simple. If youre losing, youre in a deficit.. If you ARENT losing, then you are maintaining, and if your gaining, then youre in a surplus.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote