Crazy scales! Need your opinion...

• We had an old scale that was consistently telling me I weighed 181 from last September until the end of February. When I started getting serious about weight loss, we got a newer scale (both the old and new one are Taylor brand, as that's all they carry on base) and it read 189. Since then the weight has consistently come off in about .2 to .4 increments per day and I'm now 183.8 according to the new scale. I weigh at the same time every morning with no clothes on just to make sure it's consistent. However, this weekend we went to a resort and when I was done using the gym I decided to weigh myself just out of curiosity and it said 179.6 with all of my clothes on (work out shoes, hoodie, etc.) and this was around 4pm. I know it's only about 4 lbs difference, but it's bothering me SO MUCH to not know how much I really do weigh.

So, here's my question... do you think I should shop around for scales and pay some serious money to make sure I get a good, reliable one? Or do you think that my actual weight doesn't matter at this stage as long as it's coming off consistently?
  • Stick with the same scale, the one at home, as almost every scale will give a different weight. You are losing and that's what counts.
  • Have you tried putting a weight on it to make sure that it's reading your weight correctly?
  • I have 2 10 lb weights that I put on it and it read out 20.0. At least at small weights it's accurate!
  • I think you're better off sticking with one scale and listening to that regardless of what others say. Otherwise, you'll just drive yourself crazy!
  • Probably incredibly true! I'll stick with my digital scale. Then maybe at my yearly check up I'll see what the doctor's scale says. That's in about 3 months, so it'll give me some time to get closer to GOAL.
  • Your doctor's scale will most likely not agree with your home scale.
    Stick to your home scale.
  • So, I know lots of people say they weigh the least in the morning, naked, after using the bathroom... but I've found I sometimes weigh way less right after a really hard work out in hot weather, probably because of water loss. So the difference between the home scale and the gym scale may not be as drastic as you think.
  • I have just gone through the exact same, I knew my digital scale gave a different (higher) number than the analog one. I was in doubt for ages but eventually switched to the digital one because it shows increments. I upped my start-weight and current weight accordingly, so I am having to work my way back down to the 130s yet again. It was a 6/7lb difference. SO annoying. But my reasoning was that inn the end I rather be lighter than I thought than figure out I am heavier than I thought... lol.

Goodluck with it! I feel your pain.
  • Use one scale! It's so much easier! Good luck with it!
  • I know where you're coming from. I hate my scale it's always saying something a few pounds off of what it said earlier so I'm hopping on it ten times just to try to know my weight. I find I weigh more after a workout because I've downed like 4 cups of water.
  • Quote: Stick with the same scale, the one at home, as almost every scale will give a different weight. You are losing and that's what counts.
    This. There's already plenty of day to day weight fluctuations without adding different scales to the mix. It doesn't matter which one, just stay with one.