Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #61  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Really? I haven't seen it at all

There are lots of people talking about their proactive attempts to lose weight and how good it feels when, after hard work, it finally does come off. I suppose that might be interpreted in an unfavorable light at a stretch, but there's no hate directed at anyone.

The majority of people on these boards seem to be overweight and looking for other overweight people to talk to, or else formerly overweight people who lost weight with the community and have stuck around because in the process they made friends and want to encourage other people (who already wanted to change of their own volition, no one dragged them here when they thought they were fine) trying to lose weight.

In all I think this is a very positive forum full of good advice, complete with its own cheering section. It's one of the outstanding examples of what is right with the internet. But if it's not for you, I guess it's not for you?

Most people here are discussing the food industry and the problems inherent within it. Just because there are worse problems elsewhere doesn't meant that the smaller problems should be ignored. Just because people are starving in Africa does it mean that roads shouldn't be repaired, school curriculum shouldn't be updated, health care shouldn't be addressed? There are always going to be bigger problems elsewhere but domestic issues are real and should be addressed too.

FWIW, I live in Brazil. We DO have people starving here so a lot of the health advice from the past focused on getting as many calories possible into people=very calorie dense food. Well, now the tides have changed. The economy has improved and we have 40% of adults who are overweight/obese (and if you go into the poor neighborhoods those stats are significantly higher). So the issue is now more of getting healthy foods into those neighbourhoods rather than just any food. See the difference? You can be getting enough calories in but actually be susceptible to malnutrition if you're not getting in any fruits/veggies, vitamins etc.

I really don't see the fat bashing that you're concerned about. If anything this is one site that promotes weight loss through healthy eating and fitness and I've seen responders on this site be honest with someone if they thought they had lost too much and have even encouraged a wider idea of what healthy means beyond just BMI. Almost all of use were at the very least overweight, if not obese so we've BTDT. We might not have been happy at that previous weight but many of us still loved ourselves and remember what it was like to be overweight/obese.

Like others said there's a big difference between what's acceptable in the media and in real life. I've had the same person say that a celebrity was "fat" (who was probably at a healthy weight) and tell me that I wasn't (when I was at the lower end of obese). There's really a double standard there.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #62  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeka View Post
You sound like you don't have any type of empathy of people are on the other side of the spectrum, you know the ones who are too skinny or the ones who think of themselves fat when really they are not. Just because their issue isn't being fat anymore, doesn't mean their thoughts and opinions don't matter and they can "cry you a river". Their thoughts have value. They are struggling as well and even though it may not be a weight loss issue, people shouldn't told their words are garbage just because their issue isn't the same as yours.

And I am sorry, but I care deeply about how our food industry is. Just because I personally don't have to worry about starvation or war does not mean that whats going into my body on a daily basis is not important. It is NOT okay for all of ours foods to be as extremely processed as they are. It is NOT okay for everything under the sun to have high-fructose corn syrup! I might not have to worry about a bomb dropping on my house, but what I feed my family is an extremely important issue! My body is my LIFE. Without it, I am dead. For that, it is important to pay attention to what goes into it. Do you really think putting all those pesticides into our systems everyday is really good? The toxins we breath in daily certainly are providing any nutritional value!

As for the celebrities, you are right to an extent. Yes, people were calling Jessica Simpson fat when she was NOT fat in real life standards. But the celebrity world and real life are completely different. In real life, it is becoming the "norm" to see more over weight people in a day then not. Society is accepting it more (not in celebrity world though), and it is clear! From bigger seats, to bigger portions, to seat belt extenders on planes, to more and more plus sized clothing stores opening.

As you said, you are new and maybe this site isn't the type of support you are looking for. But maybe it is and you just need to realize that sometimes people have different views. There is a wonderful support system here and I hope you will be able to find the type of support you need in order to reach your goals.
LOL, I can't imagine anyone who has ever been fat saying that our country is "accepting" of fat people. Just because you see something every day and every where doesn't mean it's accepted. Bigger seats? Where are the seats bigger? Seat belt extenders on planes? Do you think anyone feels comfortable asking for such things? Have you not heard about the shame of fat people being kicked off flights because they need two seats?? More plus sized clothing? Do you think any woman in the world wouldn't give her left arm NOT to be wearing plus sized clothing???

The United State of America may be getting fatter but it is NOT more accepting of fat. It's not. And as I said, if you're lamenting the fact that people think you're thin when you're really a normal weight, well, I don't have any sympathy at all. I'm on a long journey toward weight loss and would love it if people thought I was thin. I wouldn't write a post complaining about it. But yes, maybe it's just me.
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #63  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipoo View Post
LOL, I can't imagine anyone who has ever been fat saying that our country is "accepting" of fat people. Just because you see something every day and every where doesn't mean it's accepted. Bigger seats? Where are the seats bigger? Seat belt extenders on planes? Do you think anyone feels comfortable asking for such things? Have you not heard about the shame of fat people being kicked off flights because they need two seats?? More plus sized clothing? Do you think any woman in the world wouldn't give her left arm NOT to be wearing plus sized clothing???

The United State of America may be getting fatter but it is NOT more accepting of fat. It's not. And as I said, if you're lamenting the fact that people think you're thin when you're really a normal weight, well, I don't have any sympathy at all. I'm on a long journey toward weight loss and would love it if people thought I was thin. I wouldn't write a post complaining about it. But yes, maybe it's just me.
You're not understanding.

She's not complaining that people think she's thin. She's complaining that America has become a place where being an unhealthy weight is the norm! Would you rather all the seats become bigger, the clothes become larger, and the people continue to be more and more unhealthy each generation? This is not a goal I'd shoot for.

I have spent a MUCH larger proportion of my life obese than a healthy weight. So I get it. I do. I understand what it's like. It's not ok to discriminate against a person for their weight, but accomidations simply can't be made for every single person. Where do we draw the line? Are we going to be building airplanes with 1 seat per row in the next generation??? Something has to be done.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #64  
Dimply and Huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
You're not understanding.

She's not complaining that people think she's thin. She's complaining that America has become a place where being an unhealthy weight is the norm! Would you rather all the seats become bigger, the clothes become larger, and the people continue to be more and more unhealthy each generation? This is not a goal I'd shoot for.

I have spent a MUCH larger proportion of my life obese than a healthy weight. So I get it. I do. I understand what it's like. It's not ok to discriminate against a person for their weight, but accomidations simply can't be made for every single person. Where do we draw the line? Are we going to be building airplanes with 1 seat per row in the next generation??? Something has to be done.
So, now we're talking about accomodations? I've made my position clear. I'm all for weight loss, a pure food supply, and good health. I'm not for complaining about being considered thin when you're normal weight. Would you like it if there were no plus sized clothing or seat belt extenders? I'm not getting your point. Should fat people be forced to walk around naked and stand on planes? Shaming fat people won't make them thin. That's what we do in this country all of the time, and people are just getting fatter.

I'm not sure what the solution is for the obesity epidemic. But I'm darn sure it isn't shaming fat people or complaining about seeing them everywhere (and it being considered normal).
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #65  
The Future is Bright!

My dear, good people of Three Fat Chicks

Don't feed the trolls!

That is all.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #66  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I think the point of this thread was to talk about obesity in America and what, if anything, can be done about it.

It does give an interesting perspective though on how people feel about different things. For example, I find the term "fatties" derogatory. I know I am, yes, but do I want to be called that? Not particularly. That's not the same for everyone though.

It seems our first struggle is how to talk to overweight people in order not to alienate them or make them upset or angry. If we can figure that out, maybe we can move on to choices.

That is......if it's our responsibility to do so. Jury is out on that still probably.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #67  
Dimply and Huge

Vex, I agree with your thoughs. It's funny because I call myself fat or fattie in order to take the sting out of it. It's almost like reclaiming it, owning it, so people can't hurt me with it. I don't mean to offend when I use that term. I just felt uncomfortable reading the original post here and all of the comments supporting this notion that fat is now acceptable in the USA. It's not and it never has been. That's not changing as our country gets fatter and fatter. If anything, the vitriol directed at fat people is getting worse (especially with all of the attention the topic gets in the media). I just disagree with the tone and comments in this thread.

I'm new to this site and now realize there are different places for me to post (I just clicked on New Posts and started posting). I'm not a 20 something and I'm far from normal weight. I won't post with you guys anymore.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #68  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
My dear, good people of Three Fat Chicks

Don't feed the trolls!

That is all.
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #69  
I will make time!!!

Be the change you want to see in the world, be positive, and surround yourself with better options and be proactive with your new life on this journey to happiness and health.
SnowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Its funny because perception is so warped no matter how much you weigh - even when I was obese, I looked so "normal" no one thought to classify me as obese. At my thinnest ( I was smack in the middle of a normal BMI ) I had so many people questioning me for having an eating disorder. We can blame "society" but society is made of up individuals.
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #71  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Funny how 99.9% of the so-called "beautiful people" in American media, swimsuit calendars, Hollywood etc wear between a size 0-6, and 6 is only acceptable if they have a huge butt.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #72  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I'm really frustrated too.

There is a huge lack of personal responsibility at play... as well as a food industry who could honestly care less about nutrition and only about $$$$.

It takes a LOT of effort to hunt down clean nutritious food and most people aren't willing to educate themselves and do it. I feel a lot of anger, sadness, and anxiety when I see obese children. It's REALLY common here. I want to say that most children in my son's class are overweight. He's in 2nd grade. These kids don't make their own food choices, this isn't their fault. I worry about what the next generation will bring.

It's really hard for most people to make good food choices when most of what's contained in the grocery store doesn't even qualify as food anymore.
This is the thing that bothers me too. It's one thing, as an adult to make bad choices and end up hurting yourself, but the kids...they have no say in it, and don't even know what they are getting set up for in the not so distant future.

ETA: This post popped up as a "similar thread" post. I see now it's old...eek, sorry.

Last edited by MauiKai; 09-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote