Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #1  

Default I'm new here, but this time I really want to try.

Hello, everyone!

I'm 22, 256 lbs (last time I weighed with clothes on at a friend's house about a week ago) and 5' 2". As you can imagine, that's pretty big! I wear a size 28 and XL men's T-shirt because honestly, I'm afraid to dress myself in any other manner. I've been overweight all my life and I'm longing to finally find a healthy lifestyle and healthy size for my frame. I'm tired of having to hide the flabby love handles and constantly adjust my bra to pull it down, try to cover them. I'm the biggest out of all my friends and it's really starting to get to me.

I've visited before under another name and I didn't commit myself last time, but now I really am ready to make a change. I'm scared that if I don't start now, I'll never be the thin girl I know I am inside. I'm tired of being this way, and I want to wear the things I want to while I'm young.

I'm a geek/gamer and being big keeps me from interacting with the community and making friends the way I want to, as well as cosplaying and really being a people person. Just the other day I cosplayed as a female Duke Nukem at a local convention. No one knew who I was, and when I went up stage, when the host asked if anyone knew me, someone called out "Blubberella." I was mortified. And as a game journalist/aspiring pro I will have to be in the public eye for at least interviews and other stories. It broke my heart. I knew I needed a change.

I'm tired of being this way and though my body is already riddled with stretch marks, cellulite, and sagging breasts I know I can make a change. I want to have the confidence I know I can have about my body the way I do with my work and my creative abilities. I hope I can make a few friends here too in the process.

My problem? I don't know where to start. I have been thinking about how to ease into a healthier lifestyle but it's difficult when I live in a household where there are always temptations (and I love to eat fast food -- I live five minutes from a White Castle!). My family isn't full of healthy eaters, and when going out with friends eating is usually the "activity" we choose. I eat when I'm bored. It's comforting. I don't have many friends and don't drive yet, so I can't go out and get my own foods, really. And I have no drive to exercise.

I want to try to use my Kinect to start an exercise program with Dance Central or something similar, but I feel self-conscious when I exercise in front of others, so I'm confined to my bedroom where the Kinect doesn't pick up my feet. I'm just clueless as to what I should try first.

But I know I need a change. I want to be the skinny girl I see at Target with her friends, gorgeous and healthy, wearing the cute skinny jeans and womens' sized T-shirt rather than a baggy mens' video game shirt and a skirt with a tubby belly and big legs and arms. I know I can do it...at least I hope so.

Thanks for reading, and hope to chat soon.
Psychotica DeLuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #2  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

First off, Joining up here is an important first step!

When I first started, I did small baby steps. I stopped drinking sugary teas and started drinking nothing but water, I started parking in the back of parking lots, and I started keeping a food diary at myfitnesspal.com. Just change a few things at first and add more things once they are a habit. Hope that helps!
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/ticker/145

Height: 5'1"

I don't know if this would help you, but I needed to remotivated about a month back. I know I have a lot more to lose, but for some reason I just couldn't do it! I didn't want to exercise and I didn't want to eat right...I just didn't want to do it. But I knew that I needed to. So what I did was I took before pictures of myself with a sports bra and workout pants on. Looking at them reminded me how much more fat I have to lose. It literally instantly motivated me. Another thing that I do is (like shisnkeberry) use myfitnesspal. It is sooo easy to keep track of your food on there. There is a website and a phone app. I think it is very very important to write down EVERYTHING you eat. I ate a ton of nastiness yesterday and I didn't want to record it, but I did anyways. Another thing, it just get out there and walk. I think that might be one of the easiest ways to start at first. I personally hate going to the gym because I don't like people watching me struggle...and I have a gym membership through the college that I attend. You can do it! There are so many internet resources and the people on here are soooo supportive! I think anyone would answer a question if you sent them a PM and asked. I know I would! Good luck! I believe in you and remember we were/are in your shoes!
ihavethemusicinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #4  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Welcome!
There's lots of support here.

I agree with the baby steps, I'd first off try cutting what you're eating in half right now. Food journals are extremely important in my opinion.

And remember that going out with friends/family is about the socializing, not the food. Try and change your focus where you're enjoying the company and the food isn't the center of attention. You can still eat out and lose weight
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

Hello! I just joined this site a few days ago with the same goals! I am 23, and over a hundred pounds overweight. I let it hold me back. I used to be thin, but i wont get into my story again. I hate it. I hate that i stand in the shadows and opt out of doing things because i cant stand to look in the mirror. I have no support in real life, thats why i came here. I am also the biggest out of my friends, I do theater and I am a film major. It kills me to go on stage knowing people are going to see how fat I am. I can relate to how you feel.

A few days ago i felt lost, i didnt know where to start and i posted a very similar thread. So i read around the site and i started with drinking water, going on myfitnesspal (the app for my phone truly is amazing), and counting calories. I just started some yoga, and stretches. Yesterday, Saturday, was my 3rd official day in and it was HARD. I felt like giving in ALL DAY, but i didnt. I made it through and i am so proud! So you can do this!

Lets do this together I make a point of being on myfitnesspal every day, i started a blog i try to write for every day, and I try to come on here every day. When im feeling down, i read peoples goals, their success stories. It is so inspiring. Im here for you! WE CAN DO THIS
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #6  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Congratulations on deciding to start. Begin by figuring out your daily maintenance calories, including whatever exercise you decide to do. Then eat less calories daily for whatever pace you'd like to try to lose weight. Many people recommend a 500-1000 daily deficit as a reasonably safe range. Good luck.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Welcome! You can do it, of course you can!

Ease yourself into it. I wouldn't worry too much about a workout programme at first. You don't need equipment. Go for a brisk 10 minute walk everyday for a start. That's not much time but anything extra is a start. I don't live near a gym or anything and the only equipment I have is a yoga mat and a skipping rope. I even walk/run while watching tv (that's the only time I watch tv) and do jumping jacks and lots of stretches/squats etc. I find if you don't push it too hard at the start it's easier. You'll build it up overtime. A lot of people over do it and get worn out. This is going to be a long journey and it's about changing your habits for life.

For food I find that when I'm craving something unhealthy that I just keep telling myself what it's doing for me. And what is it doing for me? Very brief satisfaction and then guilt and then more weight? I'd rather eat something nice and healthy instead now.

Another thing is when you're eating just eat. Don't watch tv or do anything else while you're eating. If you are eating snacks once again don't do it while you're doing something else. Only concentrate on your eating. It can be boring but then you're completely aware of how much you're eating.

Good luck and keep posting here, it's great for encouragement
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Congratulations for taking the first step!

Eat whole foods as much as possible, the less processed it is the better for you. Start easy, do 5 push ups (on knees, wall, or whatever you can) and 10 cruches every day for a week. Then the next week add squats or something else. I have a kettlebell and love using it and feeling myself get stronger.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #9  

Hi everyone, thanks for the support and well wishes. I've started this week to kind of control my portions, but it's definitely been rough with the stress of deciding on which job I want to take (or hold out for different one) and everyone asking me out to eat. I know it's going to be a long, difficult road but I hope I can at least get started out right.
Psychotica DeLuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Hi! I'm new as well. I decided for my new years resolution that it was time to finally make that change too.

You mentioned that you're not really sure where to start. I definitely had the same problem so I chose a diet to get on (South Beach for me). I need the restrictions and having to say no to specific things; otherwise, I'll give myself the leeway to eat and go overboard.

South Beach is good too because you can lose a lot of weight quickly, in the beginning. This can be a good motivator to continue and skip to the diet.

You don't have to exercise on it either so this is maybe something to consider for your situation
slicedbreadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #11  

I am not new to this site, but I am committing this time! I am also a geek/gamer. I have Dance Central and Zumba for the Kinect that I am going to make myself use! My weight has gotten out of control. Highest ever. Also, I have gained around 30 lbs in a matter of just a few months. I think due to medication, which I am getting off immediately after I saw the last ten come on in two weeks. I am trying to eat better and control portions. Today, I bought a lot of vegetables and low calories items. I am hoping that I can stick to this eating plan. I am really starting to feel the effects of gaining so much weight. I wish you the best of luck!
katenicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #12  
Awesome

S/C/G: see ticker

Hey, welcome to everyone new!

Psychotica, I've always secretly wanted to cosplay. I've done a few costumes that didn't take a lot of effort, but was always secretly really envious of these two gorgeous roommates I had my first year out of college who could throw together a beautiful costume in no time and won a lot of awards at conventions. I know enough about sewing to get by, but I'm thinking of taking classes at a local community college to improve my skills. It's only about $50 for once-weekly classes for half a semester!

My advice to you: when you work out, do some strength training, even at this early stage. People with muscle can carry a lot more weight without looking it, and women with developed muscles have smaller waists and better proportions than their non-lifting counterparts. There are plenty of ultra-skinny women out there who are still unhappy with their bodies because they find themselves too "jiggly." Muscle is the anti-jiggle.
bopbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

I can completely relate to you. I'm 22 and I am too big for my liking, I dip my toes into the whole gaming world because my BF is a HxC gamer and I don't know if you feel this way, but it completely makes me insecure. There's not that many gamer chicks and the ones I do see/hear about are skinny and "hot" and I feel like I can't compete with that at all.

The first thing I started doing when I wanted to lose weight is write down EVERYTHING you eat, and start going for smaller portions of not so healthy food. I didn't exercises at all and just with those two things I dropped 10lbs in one month. Yes it was really hard but this won't be easy, a daily minute to minute battle I hate that my BF can eat a whole big bag of Lays or Hot Cheetos and play games all day and he hardly gains any weight at all :/ if I did that I would gain 15-20lbs a month. Just take baby steps and whenever you feel discouraged then come on here, I've gotten tons of support just alone from reading through posts and I've been keeping on track for almost 2 months now when before I would give up 1 week in lol
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #14  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

welcome! im so glad your here.
my first step was staying within 2000 calories. then i baby stepped from there! message me if you want any tips. I find calorie counting to be the beat plan cuz you can still have pizza, and a burger. just not as much. then ive been adding baby steps of healthier and healthier food.

Honestly if there is one piece of advice i could tell you it would be Baby Steps.
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/185.2/155

Height: 5'10"

Welcome!!! Deciding to make the change is the best first step that you can make!! It's a long process, but the best advice I can give you is to not allow yourself to get discouraged. If you have a bad meal/day/weekend you just have to shrug it off and start over again. Each week watching the scale go down makes it worth all of the carrot sticks!

As far as the plan I follow; I've always had my best success on weight watchers. I've tried to go it myself but I have never had the dedication to stick to it without the accountability of weight watchers. It's expensive, but to me it's worth it. That said; there are tons of people on this site who have done it themselves and had amazing success. No matter how you do it, you should certainly journal your food. There's something about seeing what you're eating in black and white that can really open your eyes to how much you're ingesting.

Finally, it's very tough, but I recommend cutting out the fast food. As a McDonald's lover, I have a hard time with this one. It's so easy to just go through a drive thru for dinner, but its never worth how I feel afterward. Personally, I can't do it in moderation so I cut it out altogether. If you're able to eat fast food only once every two to three months, that's great! I just don't have that kind of resolve. Once the greasy food gets into my system I can't get it out!!!

Good luck!!!!
ohlauren is offline   Reply With Quote