Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

Height: 5'4

^^^ That is a great point, but unfortunately, I'm not there yet. If theres any junk in the house there is a risk of me devouring the whole thing, whatever it is.
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabfitmom View Post
^^^ That is a great point, but unfortunately, I'm not there yet. If theres any junk in the house there is a risk of me devouring the whole thing, whatever it is.
TOTALLY!
Do what is right for you, and in the back of our mind, we all know what it is. Before I overeat, I always know that I will. I am only trying this whole "keeping bread in the house" thing because for over a year, I tried keeping it and throwing it away afterwards or just not having it at all...but clearly that didn't work for me because I've been losing and regaining the same weight, and usually with the same food. Even now, I am only trying thi s whole keeping it in the house thing, maybe it won't work IDK, but we shall see. Anyways, try doing whatever you think might work for you!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

It depends. We have plenty of junk food because my boyfriend is a pregnant lady (He'll have ice cream and Pepsi cravings and leave the house at 10PM to go get what he wants). But I don't drink soda much anymore.. and if I do it's not Pepsi. He eats ice cream flavors I don't care for. He eats popcorn, which is good, but it's not a snack that causes me to derail. I'm lucky that all the junk he likes is not the junk I like.

I have a cheat day once a week so I do have MY junk in the house but I tell my boyfriend to put it where I can't see it (So I don't think about it) or reach it (So I feel silly if I pull out a chair to reach the Doritos) or I put it in the freezer so that 1) it keeps (Don't want stale muffins and cinnamon rolls!) 2) it's not edible immediately. If I cave and pull a muffin out of the freezer, I usually come to my senses before it defrosts enough to eat.

If there's something in my house that's really a dangerous trigger food that I can't forget if it's out of sight or that I can't freeze for whatever reason, I WILL throw it out after cheat day. The waste hurts but not as much as undoing some of my progress would hurt.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #19  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I can stay away from store bought junk and homemade bread, but when I make something at home, I can't stay out of the batter/dough. I usually can stay out of the finished product - but the bowl of cookie dough? cake batter? frosting? NOPE!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I have never really had a problem resisting junk food. However, there is really only one thing I can't resist (I always measure out one portion, and go back and measure a second serving) - Hanover jalapeno pretzel pieces. They're salty and spicy, and just what I don't need in my body.

I usually don't buy them, but every once in a while I do and I enjoy every last bite, even if it means I have to plan ahead and cut back 150 calories somewhere else in my day. I will want to eat them as my nightly snack daily until the bag is gone.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

Yeah, I don't have a problem in general keeping junk in the house and keeping myself from inhaling it. As I live overseas, I have an American foods cupboard, so all of my favourite junk foods from home that you can't get in the UK. I ration them carefully because I get them during trips back to the States or people bring/ship them to me.

I don't tend to pig out on junk food loads because I mainly eat for boredom or because something tastes really nice (I'm thinking particularly of cheese here) so junk in the house tends to be safe as I go through phases (which never really last more then a few days) of wanting chocolate, or ice cream or chips. It's really what calls my name on a day as opposed to always having a craving for a certain type of food.

The one thing I can't keep at home is Pringles because I'll finish the can in less then an hour unless I exercise quite a bit of self control and make them last almost a day.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I've learned to stay away from a lot of it, but there are certain trigger foods for me that I just cannot. Certain types of cookies and Turkey Hill peanut butter cup ice cream are two of these things. They just don't stay where they are for more than a few hours. Literally.

I used to have a huge problem with cheese. HUGE. I could eat the entire block in one sitting. However, since I made it one of my go-to snacks and cut up the hunk into one ounce servings, I've actually been able to control it completely. I think it's probably because I know that I'll eat some as a snack every day.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #23  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Some foods that used to be triggers for binges (peanut butter, chocolate protein bars, cookies, etc) can now happily exist in my house.

I have one roommate who is naturally thin, French, and an intuitive eater. Yesterday he was talking about how he had a huge lunch so he was still not hungry at 9 PM. I think he is a good influence on me eating-wise. He buys packs of cookies and has one a day for a couple weeks, or has one big bar of chocolate that lasts a week.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #24  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I just can't do it. The only "junk" I have in my house are 100 calorie packs I don't have enough stuff in my house to do any real damage (with the exception of cheese and peanut butter) but I find its at work that I have to be really mindful of myself. I work in a bakery :/ Life's cruel joke.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Depends on the type of food. Chips and peanut butter (marginally on-plan if I track it) I don't like to have around often because I tend to overeat. Sweets, baked goods, desserts, etc. are no problem because I just don't eat them period!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #26  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

yes. after a few years, i've finally been able to keep treats around the house and eat them in smaller portions, i even keep some in my purse! it took a lot of practice saying "no", but i think it is a part of having sustainable weight loss- learning how to not overeat.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #27  

I can't do it. I just binged on the bread. But, hey I tried. I'm not throwing in the towel on my diet. I just have to cut the bread out.
So anyways, hey now I know what works and what doesn't. I'm tearing up for some reason, but I'm determined to not let this break me down like it did in the past, because this is why we don't regain the same weight-because we do something differently this time.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 206.8/168.9/115

Height: 5' 5"

for me, it depends on my mood. completely! I have control when I'm feeling ok, but if I'm not controlling my stress level, I crave CARBS (mostly chocolate, chips, baked stuff). So I've found from years of gaining and relosing the same 40lbs that I need to take care of myself physically, emotionally, and mentally if I want my body to reflect how good I feel.
WannabeNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #29  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I can ignore almost anything (most of the time) except for chips. They are my kryptonite. If they are in the house I MUST eat them. Also Ritz crackers. I always mean to eat just one serving and then I realize I've eaten a whole sleeve.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

Height: 5'4

*sigh* After eating nearly half the loaf of banana bread, I've had to throw the rest out. I just can't have it in the house anymore. I was trying to save the rest in the freezer so my bf could have it when he came back into town, but I just can't. It's been sabatoging me since the day I made it. This week has been pretty bad food wise and it's all because of the damn bread.

On the bright side, at least I know *exactly* what my issue is. Clearly, I cannot have sweets or any kind of 'bad' food in the house and expect to not eat it. Before the bread, I was doing well. I know that I won't go to the store and buy anything unhealthy for myself or go fet fast food. But if it makes its way into my house somehow, then its a problem. I'm depressed about how I did with food this week but tomorrow is a new day and I won't let this slip up beat me.
I threw the bread in the nasty outside garbage so there is no chance of me fishing it out.
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote