Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Scared of the results?!

So, this may sound weird, but I am almost scared of what will happen after I lose weight. I can't even imagine myself "skinny" at this point. What I'm really scared of is that I won't be able to see the results. I have read about many people still seeing themselves as "fat" even after they've lost the weight. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and see myself as skinny and fit. I am sure this sounds like a stupid fear.
armygirl808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #2  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

It's an understandable fear. I have periods of days, hours, even minutes--where sometimes I feel very overweight still, and others where I feel slim. It depends. I just have to keep in mind that I've gone from morbidly obese to now about 19 pounds overweight with the 90 pounds I've lost so far. I'm still working on my mindset, but I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER--and that's on a daily basis! I'm no longer out of breath on stairs, I can play with my kids to my heart's content without tiring, and I just plain have more energy for everything from housework to homework. You can do this, and your body will thank you for it!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Thanks! I guess you're right. Ultimately I am doing this for my body, and the NSV are what will really make me realize it I hope.
armygirl808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #4  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Absolutely. I'd also suggest keeping track of your measurements in addition to your weight. A few friends have also just decided to work on weight loss, and both of them are a few inches taller than me. We did our measurements together after a workout session the other day, and though we're all within a few pounds of each other AND they're taller, and this is the most either of them has ever weighed--I'm the smallest of the three of us due to working out. That was a great boost for my self-esteem, I gotta say. I was always their fat friend, and now to be physically smaller than them is crazy to me. I still have a ways to go, but that's one of those NSVs that helps me realize how far I've come.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You know it's weird. I can wear a size 1, I can even wear size 14 girl's clothes...but I still see myself as fat. My brain hasn't quite completely caught up with my body.

I don't think it helps that I have extra skin on my stomach, but even then you'd think I'd realize it since I am wearing such small sizes!

I don't really have any suggestions to help you during your journey because I've done everything--pictures, measurements, etc.--and I STILL feel this way.

I notice other differences that keep me going, such as having more energy and just feeling awesome, but it's still difficult
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #6  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

It's a logical fear, I often worry about this as well. I am within 15lbs of my goal weight and I am still having problems with my self-image, I can't see the changes that everyone else seems to be able to. It really bothers me, some days it gets to me more then others though. Like every one else I have "thin" days, fat days, and everything in between.

I think you have to give yourself time to adjust to your new body, and it might take awhile before your brain completely catches up. You have to learn to love yourself, flaws and all. Its this part I am struggling most with.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm also concerned about this.

Right now, wearing a snug size 16, I think a size 12 would be a great improvement. But I wore a 10/12 for several years, and felt fat then!

I'm telling myself the magic will happen at a size 6, something I've never worn as a late teen or adult.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #8  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I've found taking my measurements and regular progress pictures help a lot. It really can be hard to see the difference in the mirror at times. It can even be exasperated if you're wearing the same clothes as before because baggy clothes can hide a lot of the weight loss.

So every 10lbs I take progress photos wearing the same outfit (a stretchy workout outfit so it'll last awhile still) and that's really helped me to see where I'm losing and the difference! Full length mirrors help too. We don't have one at home but there's one in the bathroom at work so I'll really look at myself at times and try to pay attention to where I've lost to update the image I have in my head.

Body image issues after significant weight loss are certainly real because it does take time for your head to catch up. But it does happen eventually! I no longer feel like I did in the 200's. I'd say my head is now just 10-20lbs off.

Size inflation doesn't help matters either because you might have a perfect size in mind that you always wanted to be and once you get there you realize that it's bigger than you thought! I was a size 8 back in high school when I weighed 140lbs... this time I started wearing size 8 at 175lbs! Quite a difference. Now I'm into 6's and even though the number is smaller than I ever wore before, I know the feeling is not where I want to be at. It was a bit upsetting when I realized that I no longer had that number to shoot for and I had to figure out a different goal. I still don't know what size I want to end up being because it's hard for me to judge. I'm guessing I'll end up as a 2? Maybe 4, depending on where I lose the weight and how much further I decide to go.

The whole journey is a crazy one but I have to say I do feel a lot better without that extra weight. I have more energy and it's helped give me the confidence to change other areas of my life that needed changing.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote