Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/Ticker!/135

Height: 5'6

Default What is going on with me?

Well, for starters, the first four weeks of doing this I dropped nearly 10 pounds. Then, once I hit that 10 pound mark it was here for maybe, oh, two seconds, and the scale started to go back up. This week I have really buckled down. My eating habits before were sporadic, and some days I'd have well over my limit of 1400, and some days I wouldn't get enough- less than 1000. I wasn't doing my exercise regularly, but still, those pounds came off. Now that I've been doing things right this week (minus one slip up of one day I went over my 1400 limit by about 400 calories with a few glasses of wine) I've been eating the right calorie amounts (not too much OR too little), and I've walked 6 miles this week with a plan to do four more... but I can't shake this weight. Yesterday I weighed in at 224, and today I'm at 222.4.. I've been fluctuating between these two numbers even though I'm doing everything right... what gives? I'm starting to get discouraged, but trying to fight through it, so I came here for some advice from you guys...

BTW, my 1400 calorie limit is from My Fitness Pal- do you guys think I should cut back to 1200 anyway?
SWhite0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I actually think you should be eating more than 1400! How did you get those numbers in MyFitness pal?

I didn't really hit the sub 1400 level until I was past my first 30 pounds lost (and I was in the 160s then) but I probably could have eaten more to get all the way down to where I am now. As it is I lose quickly on 1400 and I'm a lot lighter than you (and shorter!)

You haven't really been at this long, so I suggest you don't start cutting calories right away (and like I said, you might want to consider eating more than 1400 anyway). If you're exercising consistently now your weight gain is likely water weight! Make sure you are drinking enough water before, during and after your workouts I think the reason I have very rarely seen the scale tick up after my workouts is because I drink so much water!

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/Ticker!/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I actually think you should be eating more than 1400! How did you get those numbers in MyFitness pal?

I didn't really hit the sub 1400 level until I was past my first 30 pounds lost (and I was in the 160s then) but I probably could have eaten more to get all the way down to where I am now. As it is I lose quickly on 1400 and I'm a lot lighter than you (and shorter!)

You haven't really been at this long, so I suggest you don't start cutting calories right away (and like I said, you might want to consider eating more than 1400 anyway). If you're exercising consistently now your weight gain is likely water weight! Make sure you are drinking enough water before, during and after your workouts I think the reason I have very rarely seen the scale tick up after my workouts is because I drink so much water!
I will definitely try to up my water intake. I use the My Fitness Pal iPhone app, it may be because I am wanting to lose 2 pounds per week? I'm not sure...
SWhite0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Well, all I can say is don't be in a rush! You don't want to restrict yourself too much that you wind up going on a binge. If you find that 1400 is an alright level for you, then keep it, but I wouldn't start cutting calories only after a month.

I didn't really count calories religiously when I first started, but by my estimate I was probably eating around 1600 to lose my first 30 pounds and I probably could have eaten even more if I wanted.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/144/120

Post What IS going on with me?:NEW GIRL

Hi ladies, my name is francine and i just joined! I am now starting to get the swing of things on how this website works and i think it is great; knowing that there are other women like myself working to a better well being. I've been worried about my weight and size since the summer before my junior year in high school. I've turned to drugs, overeating and purging, but once i stopped purging or stopped taking drugs i quickly made it back to my original weight of 150. Depression and feelings of guilt are not foreign feelings to me. Sometimes after a big meal i do find myself feeling guilty. So then i start exercising and dieting. But once i have been dieting for a day or two i find myself craving sweets and i start grabbing whatever is in my kitchen pantry. From fiber one bars to walnuts that are made for salad toppers. I just start eating whatever is available until i feel satisfied, or when i feel stomach pain. I believe i might have bullimia nervosa, but my mom just thinks i overeat because im bored and have nothing better to do. I question my weight and body shape too frequently and i would just love to be content with myself. So i have turn to this to help me get to where i want to be. I am excited to meet you all and join this journey to a better self. GOODLUCK ladies, and nice to meet you all! xoxo
francine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I completely agree with sontaikle, I think it's very important to realise how many calories your body needs to get your metabolism burning so you lose weight - which in most cases is more than we expect! How much you exercise factors into it too. When I was training for a 10k I was running 3 times a week and cross training twice a week - I ate around 2000 calories and I've never lost so much weight at once in my life.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #7  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWhite0513 View Post
Well, for starters, the first four weeks of doing this I dropped nearly 10 pounds. Then, once I hit that 10 pound mark it was here for maybe, oh, two seconds, and the scale started to go back up. This week I have really buckled down. My eating habits before were sporadic, and some days I'd have well over my limit of 1400, and some days I wouldn't get enough- less than 1000. I wasn't doing my exercise regularly, but still, those pounds came off. Now that I've been doing things right this week (minus one slip up of one day I went over my 1400 limit by about 400 calories with a few glasses of wine) I've been eating the right calorie amounts (not too much OR too little), and I've walked 6 miles this week with a plan to do four more... but I can't shake this weight. Yesterday I weighed in at 224, and today I'm at 222.4.. I've been fluctuating between these two numbers even though I'm doing everything right... what gives? I'm starting to get discouraged, but trying to fight through it, so I came here for some advice from you guys...

BTW, my 1400 calorie limit is from My Fitness Pal- do you guys think I should cut back to 1200 anyway?
Best realization I ever came to(it's hard but true) You didn't put the weight on in a month or 2 how can you expect it to come off that fast? It's going to take time, I have struggled with my weight since I was 5. I have been on all kinds of diets and fluctuation is something that just happens. At the beginning your body is losing the water weight, which is why it comes off fast after that comes the stubborn fat burning. My best advice is just to stick with what you are eating, and to change up your excerise routine. You've heard the saying "familiarity breeds contempt" same thing goes for your body, if it get used to the routine it won't respong in the way that you want it to, it can be as simple as added an incline to the treadmill. I've found the hardest thing it to keep in the fat burning zone of the elliptical, you naturally want to go fast, but as we know from the story of the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there, it will get better.
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote