Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #1  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Cool Nursing Students??

Hey all... I feel like I have been MIA for a weeks....

I am excited to have started Nursing school...(3rd week) but it is consuming almost all of my time and energy! What I have left I try to give to my Fiance... It seems WW and exercise has taken a back seat... I have gained .2, lost .4 and maintained the last 3 weeks... I just don't even seem to have any success trying to plan better!

I think part of it is there is not consistency of when classes are or how much we need to prepare for the next day. it just depends! Plus we have 1-2 tests a week all of which need to be passed or they will put you on probation for the program... Part of it is that this is an accelerated program so our classes are shortened- we have the same responsibilities but just about half the time to do it... What the full time group does over a week we do in 2 days sort of thing....

I am just stressed to the max!!! Any thoughts on how to get a handle on the stress and get back at my eating habits? I honestly have less than an hour per day to do this... That includes cooking! I just can't seem to find time to do things like cleaning my house, playing with my dogs, talking to my fiance, cooking dinner(some nights I get this in). I have gotten my exercise habit scheduled in now... I just get up really early to go to gym with my fiance- But it gets canceled easily- like it did today for instance because I got up at 5am to study more for an exam at 8 am. (Yesterday we had class at 1 pm- you see the times are all over the place)....

My WW leader told me not to stress about WW because that is only adding to my stress level which is already high... She said once I get in it further I will be able to get a routine down... It just doesn't seem to be coming to me yet- the elusive routine! We start clinicals next week so that should be fun!

I feel better just talking about it... Let me know if you have suggestions... I hope to be back later today to check them out! Wish me luck on my test!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/119

Height: 5ft2

hey there
congratulations on starting your nurse training. im a nurse in the uk so im sure the training is hugely different. but i agree with your ww leader .. in time you'll adjust to your new routine and find is easier to prepare foods etc.
i worked a seperate job at the same time as doing my nurse training and thought i never had a spare minute but after a couple of months i got used to my hectic schedule and found time for other stuff too.

good luck withyour plan and of course your nurse training... hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoyed mine x

Last edited by clarelou; 09-30-2009 at 06:59 AM.
clarelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #3  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

I don't have any answers, as I'm in the same boat (just started nursing school, work full time, and have no idea how I'm going to schedule in time to exercise). So I'll eagerly await any answers as well!

Good luck in school!
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm not in nursing school, but I did just go back for my Master's in Health Science while working full time (so I'm IN the nursing building ).

For snacks I've just been packing lunches/dinners and bringing them with me. I have lots of fruits/veggies cut up in ziploc bags and I also bring Luna or Gnu bars with me - they're under 200 calories and have lots of fiber.
The food thing takes up time to prepare, but if you have a free hour or two on the weekend, that's really all it takes to just portion stuff out in baggies, then on your way to school you can just grab what you need.
My suggestion for dinners is to also do the same thing - spend time cooking on the weekends and just freeze stuff, that way when you get home all you have to do is defrost/heat and you have a healthy dinner and you have time for your fiance, studying, etc.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #5  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I'm a pre-nursing student that works full time. I am so NOT looking forward to A&P next semester. I agree with what Stella said. I had a hard time last semester because I was working full time and would leave from work. go to school until 9:30 at night and then have a45 minute drive home. I wouldn't even eat dinner until 10:30 some nights and then go to bed.

Part of it is getting acclimated to your new routine. That's normal. The other part is MAKING time. Weight loss is a COMMITMENT as other people on the board have said. Sometimes that means eating at your desk so that you can take a 30 minute walk at work. Sometimes that means getting up or staying up an extra 30 minutes so you can fit certain things in. Another huge part is PLANNING! I have learned that planning is the most important thing that can make or break you. Often times at night I don't feel like making lunch for the next day. I don't have time to do it in the morning. Weekend planning can be a LIFE SAVER. You aready know your meals for the week and they're either simple to put together or already cooked and in the fridge (or freezer).

Fiber One bars were a LIFE SAVER for me. Eating one slowly and drinking a whole bottle of water with it really filled me up and was a good crutch between lunch and dinner on late nights.

Don't worry dear, you'll make it.

Congrats on making it into nursing school! You can do this!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #6  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

If you could make some meals on Sunday, it helps. Packing high quality nutrition foods is a must--veggies, fruits, nuts(12 almonds for a snack) walnuts, cheerios if you need a crunch, etc helps you stay on track. Buying a thermal lunchbox and putting chicken breast, or a protein shake....helps.

Think of your exercise time as "you" time. It is the best way of handling the stress of it all. It helps you perform better in school as well. Action typically comes before the motivation. Make it a must. Who cares if you feel like it, just DO it. By mid-term and finals, you'll need all the exercise you can get. Think of it as a healthy coping mechanism. You could walk with your fiance and dog in the morning. Finding time to clean usually falls by the wayside. Having your fiance's help is extremely important.

Preplanning and making your meals ahead, being consistent in your exercise routine, drinking lots of water, and having those snacks ready when you need them will help you achieve your WL goals--focus on the habits, you'll lose weight naturally...one less pressure. Best of luck for a successful semester or quarter. You can do it.

Last edited by better health3; 09-30-2009 at 11:59 AM.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #7  

Multitasking also works. The other day I was reading my OB textbook while biking away on the stationary bike. However, now I like gym time to be "me time" so I'm less inclined to bring the textbook with me. I usually pack lunch the night before because clinicals start really early. And if it's something that keeps better if I prepare in the morning...I wake up a lil earlier. I'm running out of lunch packing ideas though...does anyone have any suggestions? I've been packing day by day but if you wanted to make most of it during the weekend to freeze, what kids of things are good?

But I get the stress. I only went to the gym a handful of times last school year because it started to get so intense. Anatomy lecture + lab was my life for a whole quarter and then things just got worse with pharm and patho. But I realize now that we just really have to find some way to get some exercise in because our health depends on it.

Day 1 of ICU clinical tomorrow, I'm so nervous/scared x_x
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #8  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

My roomie used to prep all her week's meals on Sundays. Some ideas:

-hard boil 10 eggs. store with shell on. grab 2 in the AM for on the go breakfast
-prep a big pot of soup and store individual portions in freezer. remove the night before to thaw.
-wash/chop raw veggies and lettuce to pack in lunches
-roast a small chicken. pack individual portions in ziplocks. (i love cold leftovers, but can also be reheated)
-canned veggies. I don't even pack a fork for green beans.
-prepare a veggie/meat casserole and store individual portions in freezer. remove the night before to thaw.
-canned tuna or salmon for a great salad topper.
-cottage cheese (very filling bc slow digesting)
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:29 PM   #9  
banned

Becoming a nurse is incredibly challenging. With a rigorous curriculum, students often find themselves with little time for hobbies or socializing with friends, dissertation proposal writing services can be a great help in managing the workload and achieving academic success. By delegating some of the work to experts, nursing students can free up some time for themselves and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Last edited by Tara Shoemaker; 04-11-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Tara Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:42 AM   #10  

Excellent!
EliFritsch is offline   Reply With Quote