Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #16  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I made a rule for myself this year, once a week is suffiant enough to "eat out". Usually the set day is a saturday. I'm learning to order my meal and asking for a box to put the other half away. I'm still trying on working on not having pop with my meal and only water. But I think I'll eventually get to that point! It's just the start, nothing is perfect.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #17  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paja View Post
I'm glad to hear it went well! I think a lot of people would be surprised by how often I eat in restaurants even while I'm losing weight (usually once a week, if not more). All of the advice above leads to making smart choices, and sometimes it's okay not to make smart choices too. The world doesn't end.
I eat out often too. I think sometimes that we're made to feel as if when losing weight we should lock ourselves away from the world in order to ensure that we reach our goals.

Not so! I think it's perfectly reasonable to eat out on the weekends (especially us, in our 20s) for several meals if you're careful. I did it really often losing weight and I still do it now. I stay within my calories on the weekends but I make sure to eat very healthy during the week and make the best choices I can on the weekends.

I've seen so many people look at me funny because I'll still go to a fast food joint and eat pizza. I love pizza far too much to give it up! I'm also a sucker for Wendy's chicken nuggets! Do I always make the best choices? Nope, but I figure if there are thin people who can eat at fast food places all the time then I can eat there once a week if I want to!

I don't drink, so I guess that makes it a little easier to stay within a reasonable amount of calories. I abstain because I hate the taste...I'm sure if I liked drinking that I would find a way to fit it in

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5ft 7in

I actually settled with what was apparently a side dish. It was smaller in size because of it and that really helped. I go out a lot because my friends and boyfriend love to eat out. Now it's just to fact of figuring it all out before I go from here on =)
Nocturneluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #19  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

We always go out for sushi! The sashimi is just fish, low fat and very high in protein. I fill up on that first then munch a bit here and there on certain things I want (it's usually not much after I eat the sashimi cause it's really filling!) and it's never hurt me yet!

ETA: We always eat out once a week too. Weekends are my time with the kids and my GF and I ain't spending it in the kitchen! Mostly we do sushi but if not I do make the healthier choice and watch portion size. The key for me is to STOP WHEN I FEEL SATISFIED, not full or stuffed, but just until the hunger goes away. Then I package the rest and take it home. I can't give up my weekends, I stll party too every now and then and I'm still losing. I figured once we hit goal we have to learn to eat out and live life anyways, might as well start now!

Oh if you wanna drink, Skinny Girl Sangria or Margaritas!!! LOW CAL BABY!

Last edited by InsideMe; 01-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #20  

Since I eat lower carb, I try to stick to a place that I can get meat and vegetables. I ask them not to bring bread so that I'm not tempted by the smell. I'm not a big salad eater, but when I'll sometimes get a salad but with the dressing on the side.

Or just eat less of your meal and take home the rest. That's a hard one for me.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 156/155/140

Height: 5'5"

My Fiance and I usually split a meal because portions are SO huge nowadays. It also saves us money, and this forces him to order healthy foods
Pinkberrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #22  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Be careful with the light menus, some entrees can still have 600 calories! If you still want to go out with friends, you can, but it depends on the restaurant. A safe bet is always to order steamed vegetables, no butter or oil, and a grilled chicken breast, no butter or oil. And a side salad to start with no dressing (unless it's balsamic vinegar because even light dressings are loaded with calories or fat). Even a baked potato is good but add your own butter. But like I said, it depends on where you go, because a pizza place or an Italian place won't have stuff like that. You can always eat before and just order a salad when you go. e
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #23  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox View Post
1. Remember that you don't have to be perfect. Nobody is. One "bad" choice (or one "bad" meal) isn't going to magically cause you to regain 30 lbs. It would take a lot of "bad" choices to do that. Try to make decisions that are in keeping with your long-term goals, but if you make a decision that isn't in keeping with your long-term goals, accept the results of your actions, use it as a learning experience, and move on. Unless you never, ever intend to eat food that you don't have control over (e.g., restaurant food) again, you'll be doing yourself a favor by practicing dealing with unknown quantities, temptation, and choice as you lose. It will give you the knowledge and flexibility to handle eating out, and flexible people don't crack (although sometimes they bend).

2. Go in with a plan if you can. Look at the nutritional information for the restaurant (if it's available) and pick something that seems to fit reasonably well with your plan. Better yet, pick restaurants that have healthy options that you like when you can. If you can't choose the restaurant or access nutritional info, just do you best to estimate how much you're eating.

4. Know what an appropriate portion size is and be aware of how much you're eating. If you know the place you're going serves enormous portions ask for a 1/2 portion. If you are served more than you want to eat, separate the extra portion from what you want by moving it to the side of the plate or a to-go box (which you could "forget" to take with you if you wanted to).

5. Ask that sauces/dressing be served on the side - this can cut down on calories since most people eat less of them that way.

6. Look for items that are prepared in a way that won't add a lot of calories. If the menu isn't clear or if you want more information about the use of butter or salt or whatever, ask your server.

7. Don't forget about the little stuff. A salad can be a healthy, low-cal meal, but if it's stuffed with bready bits, meat, cheese, and drenched in dressing, it might have just as many calories as a regular entree. If you can fit something like that into your plan and you want it, then get it. Just know what you're eating.

8. Don't forget about drinks. Many types of beverages, including soda and alcohol, have a lot of calories. If it's important to you to have a caloric beverage, plan for it. If it's not, consider ordering water, hot tea, or another low-cal beverage.

8. Make the meal about the people you're eating with, not the food. It might help you eat less than you would have otherwise, make the experience more relaxing and enjoyable for you, and make the experience more enjoyable for the other diners. Eating with somebody who's agonizing about every last calorie is annoying.

9. If you see a temporary gain from eating out, remember that it's probably mostly or entirely water weight, and that if you return to your normal, sensible diet it will disappear within a week.
This. What a great post! I would also like to add another point

10. (to make it all even, hah!) Personally I've taught myself to slow down when I'm eating. If I eat slower then I tend to feel fuller earlier before I've even finished the meal. I had a bad habit of seeing a giant portion in front of me and feeling the need to finish it all so I would cram it in my face before my body had time to think! But if I slow down and really chew the food (with company it's easier because you might be talking as well) and if I feel full - I stop. I find I tend to leave a lot of the sides this way (like fries).

I also want to say sontaikle is absolutely right, we should eat out and enjoy ourselves! I think I've made good progress and I still eat out when the opportunity arises. I eat what I want but I make sure not to eat 3 courses and only stick to one soda and drink water a lot during the meal too. But sometimes I do feel cheeky and get a desert - it happens!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #24  

I'm okay on drinking just water. I don't really remember the last time I drank soda. . . maybe ginger ale when I had a stomach ache but that's about it on carbonated drinks haha. I love water or pomegranate juice too. I drink those the most out of anything else in my house. Water is my best friend XD I chiseled that into my head when I started my diet last year.

As for other things. I like the idea about the ordering one entree and splitting it but my boyfriend is a black hole so I don't think he will really share hahaha. But I'll keep all tips in mind.

I also have to learn to eat slower. I love chowing down.
I can't seem to understand to take it slow when i'm eating and thus i'm done quicker. It's bad
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #25  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturneluna View Post
I'm okay on drinking just water. I don't really remember the last time I drank soda. . . maybe ginger ale when I had a stomach ache but that's about it on carbonated drinks haha. I love water or pomegranate juice too. I drink those the most out of anything else in my house. Water is my best friend XD I chiseled that into my head when I started my diet last year.

As for other things. I like the idea about the ordering one entree and splitting it but my boyfriend is a black hole so I don't think he will really share hahaha. But I'll keep all tips in mind.

I also have to learn to eat slower. I love chowing down.
I can't seem to understand to take it slow when i'm eating and thus i'm done quicker. It's bad
Lol i know how it is having a black hole for a significant other. I could never share an entree with my fiancée so what I do is split my meal in half and put it in a take out box BEFORE I even eat! That way it's out of sight and you can enjoy your meal without the rest of your meal staring at you.

Another plus is that you get another meal out of it and save some money!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If I can't look up the nutritional information (I usually can't because I avoid chain restaurants), I just go with my cooking know-how. Since I can't count very accurately, I try to eat out only a few times a month.

American or Italian restaurants, I typically go with a grilled/seared protein (shrimp, fish, chicken) and ask for double vegetables instead of my carb side or a salad with dressing, cheese, nuts on the side. I never eat the whole thing - it's usually 2-4 meals for me.

-If it's Japanese, I'll go with miso soup and one roll of sashimi (usually salmon), brown rice if it's an option.

-Takeout Chinese I order steamed veggie and protein without salt/sugar and I drizzle the sauce they serve with it on my meal so I can control the amount. I eyeball 1/2 cup of rice to eat.

-If I'm eating Ethiopian, Pakistani, Northern or Southern Indian, or anything else where I'm not as familiar with the cooking and/or know there are are hidden butters/creams/oils I just try to make sure I have a lot of calories to spare, and eat small amounts.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #27  

I'm keeping my diet low of breads and pastas (which are my comfort foods) and i'm staying low on sugar and salt just because of the fear of my genes. Diabetes and high blood pressure runs in my family.
So thus, eating out can be hard but I keep to what I think is best to go with now. I don't want to end up with either of those things and this is a new life i'm trying to make.. but I still want to enjoy my life haha