Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #16  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
One of the scary but true potential side-effects of overusing aspartame is the connection with a specific type of tumor (pituitary, I believe, if I'm remembering correctly).

These tumors aren't due to the aspartame itself, but to the fact that aspartame in very large quantities can deplete folic acid (other foods can do this too. In fact, many of the foods that are "enriched" with folic acid are also foods that can deplete folic acid - which is why the folic acid is added into these foods). So, if you're not getting enough folic acid (by eating plenty of plant foods), drinking diet sodas and other foods containing aspartame is going to worsen a folic acid deficiency or put you at risk for one (and increase the risk of these tumors).
I believe it. My grandmother was an avid diet coke drinker. Tons of pops a day. Then, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I remember my mother was saying it was because of the diet cokes but I don't know if that was ever doctor agreed on. Either way, a few years after, I started to have massive migranes, dizzy spells and other symptoms as a twelve year old. For some reason, we took out the diet sodas I lived on and they got better.

There are tons of foods that have aspartame in it. I was eating Fiber one cereal and started to have headaches. I never connected the two and one day I happened to look. Bang! Aspartame in it. I've had arguments with people at restaurants because I just want to know what makes this dessert sugar free and they don't know/care. I just know that aspartame does not agree with my body.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I gave up diet drinks of any kind, including diet soda, diet sparkling water, and Crystal Light.

I drink mostly water now, with milk and tea on occasion and liquor for celebrations. At first, switching to water was very difficult. It seemed so plain!

Starting out I would squeeze a wedge of lemon into it but eventually learned to love it just plain.

The artificial sweeteners definitely messed up my taste buds while I was drinking them everyday. Fruit tasted extremely sour to me, even apples and pears. After cutting out the sweeteners I was amazed to taste sweetness in so many things, like oats and almonds and strawberries!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/110

Height: 4ft 11inches

I assure you its not a myth??? like really shes my aunt... :S
candice1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #19  

Height: 5'5

the diet coke / brain tumor thing always reminds me of Michael J. Fox's autobiography. He drank a lot of diet coke and his wife was always complaining that it was going to give him a brain tumor. His actual brain surgeon came to the house for a consultation and when his wife asked him what he wanted to drink he said diet coke. She said as far as he knew it didn't cause brain tumors.

besides, isn't it cell phones that are causing all these brain tumors? I think there are more brain tumors not because we just got better at finding brain tumors.

I used to love diet coke and gave it up for a year or so. It didn't make any difference at all. I did lose my taste for it though. And now I drink diet sprite.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #20  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The coke residue story sounds suspiciously like an urban-legend email that's going around. Personally, I would suggest asking your own doctors or dietitians about this and check out the urban legends websites.
I just find it ironic that of all the much more toxic substances we're living with, that diet soda gets such a bad rap.
Thank you kaplods for your insightful response. ITA.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #21  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

LOL I love how everyone freaks out over Diet Coke. I'll keep drinking my one can to curb my appetite.

I think it's like anything else. YOU might have an averse reaction to it, so YOU shouldn't drink it. Just like anything else you shouldn't consume large amounts of it. I mean, come on, if you're drinking liters and liters of soda a day that's obviously not good, just as too much water is no good either.

Will it make a big difference? Maybe it will, Maybe it won't. The only way to find out is to actually do it.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote