Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

You really can't spot reduce unfortunately.

However, I will say this - your "problem" (if I can call it that?) is not that you have "super fat" parts of your body - it's that you lack overall lean muscle mass which can give the appearance of having a higher body fat at a 'normal' body weight.

I am the same height/weight as you (forgive me, my ticker is a little off- I am 134 right now) and I do look a lot leaner - I have been doing weightlifting for 8 years. When I started weightlifting around age 19, I had the exact same height/weight then - but the same body shape as you.

Food for thought. Stop dieting - start lifting. At 115lbs, you will almost certainly look similar in body shape, only "smaller", rather than leaner. You look great, please don't be so hard on yourself.

If you don't mind me sharing, here was my goal photo thread so you can see. This is at 5'5 and 133lbs.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...st-partum.html
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #17  
blah

S/C/G: 145/131.8/115

Height: 5'4"

Wow that's a huge difference. So are you saying I should do weights instead of cardio or a combo of both? Should I lose some more weight first before I start weights? You're right about me having no muscle mass, I'm piss weak. How heavy should I start?

Last edited by unpretty; 12-02-2011 at 02:35 AM.
unpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #18  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpretty View Post
Wow that's a huge difference. So are you saying I should do weights instead of cardio or a combo of both? Should I lose some more weight first before I start weights? You're right about me having no muscle mass, I'm piss weak. How heavy should I start?
I'm another lifter here and also can attest to the difference in body composition (although I'm heavier than you both and am still losing too). I started lifting just under 200lbs and it's made a HUGE difference even at my highest weights. You can definitely start now. Losing weight and lifting don't have to be mutually exclusive (although you might decide you don't need to lose weight, which is also ok too) and there are many of on here who have started lifting from the beginning or close to it.

As for cardio, it's up to it. I still do cardio quite a bit too but I also have some injuries that make it difficult to lift as much as I'd like at the moment. Ideally if my body would let me I'd be lifting about 3x a week and doing cardio 3x a week (not necessarily on the same days...). Check out HIIT too, which is a great way to do cardio.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #19  

Quote:
It's really up to you. I think a bit of both weights & cardio would suit you fine (I didn't really do any cardio). No, don't lose more weight before you start training. Remember that lean mass burns more calories than fat so the sooner you build muscle, the faster you will lose. You could stay at 135 for 2 years and look completely different than now with resistance training.

I will recommend "New Rules of Lifting for Women" to you (a book), it's a great guide for women who are new to strength training and have some fears in the gym. Once you progress, you may want to look into Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (barbell training). I also recommend getting a few sessions with a trainer to help you break your fear of free weights (which I saw in the WT section).
^
I really don't recommend going into the gym and just doing 'whatever' you think, like a few curls of this, a few squats of that. If you don't know how to weigh train effectively then you won't get anywhere near the results that you could get if you did a professional routine.

"Heavy is relative" - generally people start out lifting #lbs that they can lift for 8-15ish reps (sometimes 4-6, sometimes 15-20, but 8-12 or 12-15 is about average for a beginner). So if you can't lift 5lbs for more than 12 reps, that's a good weight. If you can do it 25 reps, then it's too light and time to up the weight.

You may find that 5-10lbs is as much as you can do, and that's fine. I started lifting 75lb deadlifts, now up to 200lbs. As you can see, 'heavy' changes over time!

I didn't get to my current figure by doing anything but lifting hard heavy weights. Fear will hold you back. Wanting to lose more weight before training will only hold you back. This is of course, very common for women starting - I know I wasted a few years with the same mindset when I could have rapidly progressed instead. Good luck!!!

Last edited by sacha; 12-02-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #20  
blah

Thanks so much just to clarify, when you say "12-15 lbs is about average for a beginner" do you mean 12-15 per dumbbell or in total?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #21  
blah

also, do muscles use extra calories to heal/grow after workouts?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #22  

Quote:
Thanks so much just to clarify, when you say "12-15 lbs is about average for a beginner" do you mean 12-15 per dumbbell or in total?
Sorry, I meant 12-15 *reps* is about an average rep range for a beginner. As for actual weights in dumbbells, it's completely relative. Most women start out using 5-10lb weights and move on from there. Some can start higher, some need to start lower.

Yes, muscles use extra calories - which is why when people want to really build muscle, they eat above maintenance. There is only so much muscle a beginner can grow when eating to lose weight (and if they aren't a beginner, it's often impossible)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I started with 3lb weights, moved up to 5, then 7.5. My arms just shrunk amazingly. I used to hate my arms and now I love them (and I'm only halfway to goal!). The workout I use is, no joke, from Cosmo magazine. I also lift weights at the gym but the Cosmo workout was something I could do easily in my room. I can't find an online copy of the exact workout, but it was something like this one. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/worko...-moves/?page=5
Good luck!
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #24  

Default fat arms

me too... i would look 20 lbs thinner if not for my arms... I used to help my dad in the store lift boxes and compete moving boxes of plaintains when I was a young girl...I used my upper body a lot trying to show off my stength and built my arms shoulders chest and well...i got boxer arms..before they were popular..thank you Lela Ali....but I did get them cut in my 30s and 40s ..now at 59 they have cellulite and are huge...huge triceps..because of menopause...and I got lipo at 50 and the fat of course went to my arms when I gained weight...Im only 5.2 and a half. so ...it's stressful..but oh well
fitadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #25  
GoGetter :)

S/C/G: 243/229/215

This is just a factor of genetics. Some of us put fat around our legs, calves, face etc. You're going to have to continue to do what you're doing and make progress in the fat loss arena! What tactics are you using right now?
MarlieMe is offline   Reply With Quote