Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Question work stress=over indulgent chocolate snacks/binges

Well I started a new job a few months ago, and its all going really well.

Apart from the subsidized canteen. Crisps, chocolate and everything fried and bad on demand for stupidly low prices anyone?!

I've been doing 10hr shifts, 6 days a week for the past month and while the money is very very welcome, I have found myself grabbing chocolate and crisps when I feel tired or stressed with all the hours, in addition to my normal diet meals, I average about 1600 cals. I do odd hours so I never have a break at 'normal' breakfast, lunch and dinner hours. While I'm not eating enough to put weight on, I'm not exercising because I'm so tired, and I'm definitely not losing weight.

Has anyone experienced this and has any helpful advice for me to break this cycle? I WILL NOT let this beat me, I just need a push in the right direction.

Last edited by IsobelRose22; 11-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I would just suggest chewing gum or drinking water whenever you get a snack craving purely from stress and you know you aren't hungry. If you are truly hungry for a snack, maybe keep some healthy food on-hand so you aren't tempted by the cheap treats! Apples, bananas, oranges, small bags of nuts, small bag of cut celery or baby carrots + low cal dressing, healthy granola bars, low cal popcorn, etc don't make much of a mess to eat and keep fairly well.
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Riesz- Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try that, I think for me, its planning ahead and making sure I don't get caught out. By the way, congratulations on your incredible weight loss, its truly inspirational. How have you done it?
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Height: 5'4"

Boiled eggs, kale chips and nuts would all be handier, cheaper, and more energizing than junk food.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #5  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Is your job sedentary, or do you get to move a lot? If you are moving a lot during your shift you're probably burning a fair number of calories. Eating healthier, less salty things might be enough to get the scale moving again.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #6  

What helps for me is that I ask myself, "Eating is a pleasurable experience. So why would I want to do it when I'm feeling crappy in a bad situation?" My boss is called a um..."witch" by everyone and I'm the only one who works under her, so I totally understand the work stress. So then I think, well I'm stressed out, and I'd rather eat good food when I am at home-a good, chill place-rather than in my rather depressing boring workplace lol. Its almost a waste of a treat, because the treat in a bad situation will only alleviate the stress somewhat, but it won't make anything better. If anything, saving 1 snack for home is probably more fun than eating 10 snacks in a workplace, for me at least!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote