Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #76  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Shauna~ It's never too late!!! One of my biggest dreams is to bring music to the masses. Anyone with enough desire and determination can learn to play. Firmly believe this.

~~~
153.6 this morning and I've been eating a lot of crap (muffins + icing) and not exercising. I don't think I'll be able to lose and still eat crap for much longer, but will enjoy the sweet while I can. Brought a hummus and quinoa bread sandwich for lunch. Not sure if that'll be enough to hold me, but let's hope.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #77  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies, it's late so I'm super tired and will reply to personals in the morning.

Today was a sad morning, because I found out my boyfriends dog had to be put to sleep. Sure, he wasn't my dog, but I've known him for years and I adored him so much.

I'll miss him <3.

Yesterday I got seriously sick so I couldn't do my workout. After all that positive talk! I didn't throw up, but man did I feel like I needed to! I ended up napping then had to trundle into work =(. Today I felt much better and for the first time in over a week I did my Insanity workout. IT SUCKED. I was so drained, probably dehydrated from crying but oh welly, I did it! So I'm proud of that.

Kept on top of my water consumption today, and hoping tomorrow I'll kick *** again with Insanity. Hope you're all doing good! Halloween soon! Any one got any plans?
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #78  

SO sad about your bf's dog, Rie. He looks like such a cuddle bear, too. Good for you just getting out there and doing your Insanity workout anyway. As a good friend once said "It's not the exercise itself so much as the will to do it that counts."

~~~
Am DONE with eating for the night. Having some Roastaroma tea w. almond milk and stevia to hold me over. I'm starting that slow march of doom toward TOM and I've been drinking more caffeine lately and boy can I feel it. Yurgh.
Ah, well... Numbers on the scale may appear larger than they are in real life. Remain calm and eat smart.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Hey, did y'all see the article on yahoo about the man who is going from fit to fat and back to fit??!! It sounds interesting...
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...rpose-2583990/

Alexis, you are definitely right about learning at no matter what age! Maybe one day I will find the time to learn something like that. I should put that on my bucket list! Haha!

I'm supposed to be daily weighing in, but I have NOT been staying on plan...ugh! It's all my fault, but I wanted to keep coming here so I'm always thinking about it. I did somewhat of a workout in this morning. All the treadmills at the gym were full so I went to a park instead. It is TOTALLY different running outside than on a treadmill. I actually hated it. So, if the gym is going to be busy every time I go, then I'm probably going to join a different one. It's kinda useless being a member of a gym that I'm not going to use. Yes, I could use the different machines, but I can't do my C25K on the different machines. Oh well, I'll figure something out. I'm NOT giving up though.

Riestrella - So sorry to hear about your BF's dog. He does look big and comfy! When I get my own house with lots of land, I am getting a big dog...I love them! Glad you are feeling a little better and was able to get that workout in. Just keep it up and you will get back in the routine in no time!!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #80  

Shauna~ I firmly believe that coming in here is the first step... Even if you're not doing anything right now, eventually the enthusiasm will rub off on you. Awareness is the first step.

~~~
Grey and raining out today... I personally love the rain, but it does make me want to curl up with a good book rather than getting out there and working it. I wore flat shoes so hopefully I can walk around more. Plans to run to Costco and grab a salad, then have a skype convo w. my bff who just moved to Italy to study for a year.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I have come back to life!
Sorry for the prolonged absence but school got really rough. I had papers due Monday and Tuesday and then I had a ton of reading to do. On top of all that I am the Graduate Assistant for the department chair in my program and we are planning a really large event for this Friday, so I had stress planning all that. On top of that I am the president for our Graduate Student Organization and so I have had to plan and facilitate a few meetings and activities. I will much better after Friday when this event is over because I have been stressed!
Besides that though, I told myself I would not mess up my weekend with bad food and drinking so I only had a few light beers Friday night with my husband. On top of that, I introduced my husband to the food diary app I use on my phone and he started tracking his calories (he only had like 5 extra lbs on him, but he freaks out over it) and that helped because he wanted to eat healthier to not go over his calories so I didn't pig out with him and it was awesome. I went to the gym on Friday and Saturday and did my yoga for weight loss DVD on Sunday and on Monday even though I was stressed I went to the gym and rode articles on the bike, so I was proud that I didn't give up and let myself slide.
When I weighed myself on Thursday I was at 152.4 and then when I weighed myself on Monday I was at 152.6, which I was happy about because it was TOM and all that other stuff and I didn't gain. Then I drank my water all up on Monday and Tuesday to kick that water weight, stuck to my diet really well, and weighed in this morning at 150.8. I am .8 lbs away from 50 lbs total weight loss since I started trying! I want that .8 and I wanna see 149 so bad, I have not been there since probably junior high!! Gotta keep pushing!
Anyway sorry for the long post

Alexis- Hey so I tried not eating after 8 on weeknights and I failed, but mostly because I have night classes that last til 9 and they give us a small break around 8 to eat dinner, so I decided my goal will be not eating after I eat my dinner during that break. On weekends I should go for 9 though, I am going to try it this coming weekend.
-I am a PhD student in a program called Childhood Studies by the way.
-Great job with your weekend away staying on track, that takes strength!
- I liked you action plan for eating that you laid out about taking time between bites. I should try that. I have stopped eating in front of the TV and have starting having a big glass of water before my meals.

Munster- Awesome job on the insanity!! Way to go! I googled that, it looked intense so you must be pretty amazing! Keep up the awesome work, I am contemplating trying insanity just from reading how you ladies all talk about it.

Sgregg- I am feeling you with this school and hard to eat and drink when you are in a classroom. I hate that I am trying to drink tons of water to kick off my waterweight from TOM and I have 1.5 hr classes that I spend half of the time thinking about how I have to go to the potty. Not good for learning.
-I also take my work to the gym with me, but the only place I can really read is on the bike. I have tried elliptical and reading but it was too hard...
- I know what you are saying with becoming a snack monster from stress... I had all this stuff this week and I needed a coffee and the Starbucks on my campus has that beautiful display of pastries and I had pretty much no food with me, so I comprimised and decided to do a reduced fat coffee cake, even though I know it has a billion grams of sugar, and just eat half of it very slowly. And it worked, I enjoyed it but ate it slowly and intentionally enough to realize I didn't even want the whole thing.
- I am sorry to hear that people are taking your machines at the gym. I get so frustrated when something changes my plans, and it is definitely not the same running outside... keep up the good work though and don't be afraid of that scale. Down some water and think about your goals!

Rie- I am soo, sooo, sooo sorry to hear about your boyfriend's dog. I love dogs, I would be crushed. My heart goes out to you.
- Keep up that insanity! You can do it! Imagine how great it is going to feel when you are done and you can say you finished it all!
-Good luck being on the pill, I hope that it helps you with your TOM. I tried it and it made me gain weight cause it messed with my hormones and cravings, but you can fight and conquer it because if you can make it through insanity, you can defeat the pill.

~~~Alright ladies, good luck this week. The weather is bad here and it makes me wanna not do anything but I am gonna throw on my rain jacket and go make things happen!~~~
Jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #82  

Jamie~ Welcome back!!! And congrats on almost getting to 50 lbs lost. What an accomplishment. And great job staying on track with the weekend, to you, too. We all know how difficult it is to do that. Wow Ph.D, eh? Impressive!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #83  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hi everyone. Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been having a pretty sh!tty couple of weeks with my weight loss journey. I've had trouble getting back on it, Monday I felt sick, Tuesday I did a workout and Wednesday I didn't have time at all to do it (had an extremely busy day). I also got treated to lunch yesterday and had WAY too much food - ended up feeling full for the rest of the day (and even now!). Good news is is that I've not gained weight, so I'm trying to focus on positive thinking and get psyched to keep going that way instead of feeling all this dread!

Once I start exercising, I love it. I get into it, I sweat, I feel accomplished. But after a stall I find it incredibly difficult to get that motivation back, to get back into that routine. Last night I had a talk with my BF, he's always been so supportive of my weight loss and me as a person, (always said that losing weight was just the cherry on top of an already delicious cake, that kinda thing =p) but recently he's said things in passing like "Can't wait to see you all hot and sexy." He didn't mean I had to be at goal weight/thin for me to be hot and sexy, but I was starting to feel the pressure of it and told him how I felt. He was understanding, reassured me that it wasn't the case, but I told him to lower his standards anyway! I said that this is a journey for me, and yes I'll be thinner when I next see him but I won't be 'thin' and I certainly won't be at my goal - I'll probably be still overweight and he understood.

I think it was partially my fault because I had been overly confident saying all these things like I'll be thin by the time you see me, I'll be healthy etc...so all the pressure was self inflicted but I just felt like I needed to talk to him anyway. To basically lower his expectations of how I'll look! I'd LOVE to be at 150 lbs by February, but 20 lbs in 16 weeks seems like a bit of a pipe dream now. I'm always trying my best, but it's always a slow process otherwise it wouldn't be a healthy one.

So yeah, I'm just sorting out my mind at the moment, then I'm back in the game and going to hit those 160s goshdarnit!

---

Alexis - Thank you for your support, he was a big giant bear! Such a sweet heart too. Try and not let TOM get in your way! How long has your relationship been long distance for?

sgregg - Definitely important not to give up! I'm surprised you hated running outside! It's good to do it though, because if you run an official 5K race (which I recommend, the feeling is awesome!) you'll be doing it outside. I think we're mirroring each other right now, both having a difficult time! But we can do this!!
Yeah, he was a big lovable bear <3. He was such a character, I'm still so sad he's gone. He was an Alaskan Malamute, basically bigger Husky's. He had a fur defect which is why he was so fluffy, but it was adorable. I feel like that picture doesn't capture his size and fluffiness, so here's another one!

Jamie - Dayum girl, you are crazy busy!! Don't know how you cope. But CONGRATS on such an amazing achievement. Hearing that you had a gain, but stuck to your routine and drank loads of water and saw that 2 lb drop is really inspirational to me right now. I just want to lose that one pound!
Thanks for your support, I think it's just tough knowing that I'll never see him ever again but I have lots of happy memories of him so that's what's important.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #84  

Rie~ Well done for being back in the game!!! Getting there is half the battle. I'm not in a long distance relationship, so don't really have much to offer. Maybe just take a break from talking about weight with the bf for awhile. Just don't mention it at all... It's hard to do anything under pressure. Maybe come up with specific other topics to talk about (weather, his job, your job, your favorite places to visit, etc.) and have a great time talking about those things.

~~~
Had a bit of a set back last night. Had over 2500 cals (and I knew it was going to be high, too...) Understandably saw a gain this morning, which was hugely demotivating to me. Am trying to get back on track.

Just went for a long walk on my break and brought a healthy lunch with me. Am aiming to get back on the right track.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 161/145/136

Hi everybody!

I've been lurking for a while, and decided that being an active participant in the chats would help keep me focused. I weighed in at 144.8 this morning, and my goal is 136. I would love to be 140 by thanksgiving!

Alex - I think we have almost the same stats! I also started at 160, and am 5'8". I've noticed that I've been able to lose about a pound a week pretty comfortably, but I imagine it will get tougher the closer I get to goal. I also played cello throughout high school and college, so I love to hear that you play and teach violin. I love sting instruments.

Rie - What an adorable and huge dog! I love malamutes. Sorry you had lose him.

Jamie - Wow, you're busy! I'm also in grad school, (I'll be finishing my masters in December in secondary math education), so I know how long night classes
can derail food plans!

sgreeg - yay for teachers! I'm in my second year as a high school math teacher, so I know about the long hours and early mornings. It is MEA here so all teachers get a 4 day weekend so that we go to state conferences (or in my case, sleep in and pretend to get caught up on my action research while actually posting on 3FC - whoops!)

Can't wait to get to know you guys better! This is the first time I've posted anything about myself on 3fc, so I'm feeling a little creepy. Better just hit submit I guess!
nonniebeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #86  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Alexis - Sweety, I'm sorry, but those topics of conversation were hilariously bad! I've known him for 9 years, I think we're way past the point of talking about the weather =p. And he never brings up my weight so it's purely my own fault. It's fine, I don't talk to him about my weight loss as much as I used to, I was relying on him at one point. Sorry, when I read your post I thought you wrote bf not bff! My bad!

nonnie - Welcome! What are you going to do to lose the weight?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 161/145/136

Rie - My current plan includes to continue working out at least 3 times a week (preferably 4 or 5.) This usually means running, but sometimes elliptical to mix it up. I don't calorie count (I found that weight and food started completely running my life when I did that) so I just work on portion control, and I avoid too many desserts. I calorie counted when I was younger though, so I usually have a pretty good sense for what meals should look like. I've been vegetarian for 14 years, and I try to (with varying success) go easy on animal products in general (but I do love cheese.) I am mostly a whole foods eater (Michael Pollan anyone?) and my partner and I love cooking together (he's also veggie, so that makes it easier.) Following this plan I have been able to lose 17 pounds at a rate of about 1 pound a week, so I am hopeful that the last 8 or so will come off in a similar fashion, but I anticipate the holidays raining on my parade a little. That was maybe a little more info than you were looking for!

I also totally understand where you're coming from - in moments of excitement I'll boast about my progress to my SO, but if I'm not feeling it and he brings it up (even though it is in an encouraging, happy for me manner) I'll get kind of defensive because it it one thing to have your own expectations (and the fear of failure that go with those), but it certainly adds pressure when their are expectations coming from those we love most (even if they are unaware of this added pressure and really have our best interests in mind).

Alex - How did yesterday go for you? I love bringing healthy lunches to work and find that then I just eat what's in front of me, and don't try to amble around looking for junk. Good for you for getting right back on track.
nonniebeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #88  

Rie ~ :P Hey, gimme a break! I'm sitting at a reception desk in a chilly office surrounded by grey walls and drudge. What DO you end up talking about, then? (I'm really asking... when my friend and I skyped when I was teaching abroad we'd talk about the most random stuff: people we knew, my students, her students, intrigues at the office, stuff that goes on during the day... The last time I talked to her, it was about how she had a hard time getting internet installed... What DO people talk about on the phone?)

nonniebeme~ Hello there and welcome! Our stats are similar, only you're closer to where I want to eventually be. I think my lowest was 129 (for about 3 minutes) but I was not my healthiest when I was down there. I think it'd be attainable, it'd just take awhile. I don't calorie count either. I feel like I get obsessed and end up going over anyway. Do you still play cello? Funny, but we're actually looking for a cellist to play with our violin duo for some weddings... *books you a ticket* Sold!

~~~
Not that hungry today, which is nice... Momma made fresh bread last night (didn't get to have it fresh b.c it was past cut-off time) but had some this morning with soft boiled egg. (Soldiers! Yummy!)

Planning on making a sour cream apple pie tonight. Starting that new gig on Monday working with my friend's dad and want to have something good to bring with me. I brought him an apple pie two weeks ago and it was terrible, so I'm hoping to gain back my reputation.

Weekend plans, anyone? I'm still waiting for something to materialize for mine. Might end up being a deep declutter weekend, which would not be a bad thing at all...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hey Hey Ladies

I hope you are all doing well because I am doing fantastic tonight!! I just finished coordinating an event I was in charge of and now it feels good to relax. Whew!

As far as my food has gone the past couple days, I think I have been being really good. I had a few nice beers with my husband on our date night the other night, but I made a fairly healthy meal choice and worked out well that day. Thursday I also ate decently and did a short workout, I could have done better though. Today I did not so good on the diet because I had fatty foods and wine at the event I was at so... I worked out extra hard today, so lets see if the scale punishes me tomorrow.

On a more worrisome note, I set my goal to lose 5 LBS by Halloween and I have only lost two... I am not sure I will make it. Therefore I have decided to kick it up for the week, maybe moving my calorie goal from 1350 to 1200. What do you guys think. Also, I am going to give another try at not eating late at night so lets see. I will keep everyone posted though, but I feel like I will not end up making it (I will need some strong kicks this week to keep me encouraged and on track, I really wanna meet my first 3FC goal!)

~~~Anyway~~~

Rie- The post you left to me last where you started with "dayum girl" gave me a good laugh, thanks
I know what you mean, I feel so accomplished when I sweat it out and feel like I have worked hard. Remember that feeling when you are not feeling like working out and maybe it will help with motivation.
Also, I am really glad that you emphasize that your weight lose is going to be a slow process so that you can make sure it is healthy. I get so sad when I hear people that do crash diets and starve themselves to lose weight in an unhealthy manner, and I have taken 2 years slowly losing my weight but trying to make sure I focused on whole body health. I was so proud when I got my blood panel done and found out my cholesterol levels and all that were in the completely healthy range. Being healthy feels good so keep it up on the good path

Alexis- I am not sure if I think that PhD I impressive, it just signals that I am a glutton for punishment! It is mostly about committment..
Good job on taking lunch break to pack a healthy lunch and take a walk. We all have days that we go way over and it feels bad when punishment comes in the form of pounds gained, but I like to focus on the days I feel proud of myself and good feelings instead of letting one bad day get me down. You do an awesome job, one slip-up doesn't define you!
BTW what is sour cream apple pie?? Sounds interesting.

Nonnie- Hi nonnie welcome! Congrats on almost being done with your Masters!! Way to go! ... I hate night classes for the simple fact that I have to have food but I get ten minutes to scarf down whatever I could manage to pack because I am usually on campus all day and have to pack two meals and snacks, and sometimes that is tough to do... and when people bring "snacks" for the class and set them on the table... I hate it... I mean it is nice but I don't want to stare at a brownie all class when I am hungry and tired, not a good combination! I feel stronger after I am able to resist though..

So you will start teaching soon? Or do you have other plans?

~~ So for my weekend plans, my husband and I are having dinner with another couple tomorrow so I am already feeling nervous about the calories from the drinks and all that so lets hope I can practice some major portion control! I will hit the gym like whoa tomorrow though... the countdown is on til Halloween and I need to kick off 3 lbs! Have a great weekend ladies!!!~~
Jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #90  

Jamie ~ I'm just really secretly jealous of you and your punishment... I've always known that I wanted a Ph.D in something, just haven't decided what. I knew it would have to have a practical bent or I'd go crazy. I went to grad school for playwriting and literary criticism (back when comp lit was cool) but realized that all that schooling wouldn't actually make me any more qualified for anything... so I forced myself to enter the "real world". (Your Childhood Studies program sounds like it directly interacts with the "real world" on a very useful level, btw... Is that accurate? Clinical?) I started in publishing, taught for a bit, and am now getting ready to start a job as an "office infrastructure consultant" for a fireplace company.

Congrats on the event being a success, btw!!!! It's a superhuman feat that you're still standing and managing to post, let alone maintain.

Re: Cals - 1200 does sound like the lower limit for calorie threshold, but if it's in pursuit of a goal, then I guess just try to make sure that you're getting a good bang for your nutritional buck and take care. I'm in the exact same boat for Halloween: wanted to lose 5, am only down 2. There's still time, but man, it's going to take some focus.

And in a completely not helpful answer, here's the recipe for the Sour Cream Apple Pie: (it's amazing. just sayin... maybe save for a post-Halloween celebration? )

1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
1/2 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
3 cups diced apples

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chilled butter, diced
Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Press the pie crust into and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
In a medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and salt. Mix in the sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add apples, and stir to coat. Scrape the mixture into the pie shell.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 30 minutes more.
While the pie is baking, prepare the topping in a medium bowl. Stir together 1/3 cup of flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
After the 30 minute bake time has passed, cover the top of the pie with the crumb topping, and continue to bake for 15 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and apples are tender. Allow the pie to cool, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.

~~~

Stayed in tonight and watched Britcoms w. the momma. Am planning to get out tomorrow if it kills me! Even if just for a solo Barnes and Noble coffee date, I plan to be out among the world at large. A church friend is doing a Zumbathon, but I'm not really that keen and it costs $25. It goes to a charity, but dang, that's kind of a lot of money AND going to be all women (which would be fine, but my goal is to mingle with available gentleman, too...)

Cleaning/Organizing is definitely on the docket for some point this weekend. Am looking forward to getting ready for the holidays, too. WooHoo!!!