3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Eating healthy on family vacation. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/241879-eating-healthy-family-vacation.html)

danzingurl77 08-28-2011 02:05 PM

Eating healthy on family vacation.

OK- so my in-laws take a family vacation to Lake Powell each year and we have a blast, spending a week on a houseboat and enjoying the lake. HOWEVER- His family definitley doesnt follow a good eating plan... I'm MORE than happy to offer to cook a few meals on the trip, but the family is really picky-- nobody likes veggies, whole wheat anything, and a meal isnt complete without something deep fried, something cheesy, and of course-- dessert. I love the family and don't want to be rude-- but last year I came back from vacation 6 lbs heavier than when I left.. and I honestly did try to keep my portions small (obviously I didnt do so great all the time, its hard to stay on track when your loving mother in law buys you a 2 lb. bag of your favorite peanut M&M's to keep in your room!) I dont want that to happen again. Plus, were on a houseboat so I can't ever escape to get myself food or skip out on family meals... I want to enjoy the vacation and not be the "health food *you know what*", but at the same time I know I'll be stressed out about how much weight I'm going to gain.... any advice? Am I being crazy? sorry that was a little ranty-- Im just pretty stumped on what I can do :'(

my2cats 08-28-2011 02:52 PM

I'm not sure this is very helpful, but whenever I'm in a public situation with people and I can't control the food, I try not to make a big deal out of it, and just eat small portions. (It sounds like you did this.)

I find it actually ends up being counterproductive with a lot of people if you say you're trying not to eat much, especially for 'special events' like vacation, because they'll take that as a challenge to get you to 'let loose and have a little fun'. They mean well typically. So it's almost easier to fly under the radar and just eat bits of this and that.

Only thought is maybe recommending / bringing fixings for some salads and really loading up on that to fill you up, while sampling other things so people aren't offended. If EVERYONE else hates salad this may be a little weird, but if you bring a few different kinds of dressings and then just stick to the healthy ones, surely there is someone else who would try it?

Anyway just some ideas.. it's tough I know! My family can't eat out without going to a basically southern buffet - where who knows what the calories of so many things are. Do your best and recognize that 'life happens'. Don't let it keep you from having fun. :)

Also if you end up with another 2lb bag of M&Ms, I'd recommend bringing them out to share with everybody. Have a few yourself, but just a handful. I could also see myself secretively dumping some in the water but that may be a little extreme. :cough:

djs06 08-28-2011 03:05 PM

You might want to try bringing some healthy snacks a long and eating them before meals to keep your portion sizes as small as you can. As for the snacks, is there any way you can explain to your MIL that you'd rather not have them around, that you really appreciate her goodwill but you're watching your weight and those are a very hard thing for you to resist? Otherwise, I agree with My2Cats, bust them out and share them with everyone during the evening while you're hanging around, or bring a candy bowl and stick them on an end table somewhere.

Just try your best to enjoy the company and have the food be a secondary thing. Easier said than done, I know!

Scarlett 08-28-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2cats (Post 4010435)
I find it actually ends up being counterproductive with a lot of people if you say you're trying not to eat much, especially for 'special events' like vacation, because they'll take that as a challenge to get you to 'let loose and have a little fun'. They mean well typically. So it's almost easier to fly under the radar and just eat bits of this and that.

100% agree. As long as you don't go crazy and find yourself eating without abandon, you'll be fine. Talk alot, move food around on your plate, but don't eat too much.

Also the most important thing is getting right back on track once you get back. Don't let a few minor indulgences snowball. It's never the initial cheat that kills you, it's the cheat that turns into 3 weeks off plan that really hurts.