Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #16  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

DON'T FEEL LIKE THAT ! Don't worry about them judging you. But if you really don't feel comfortable going, why not buy some workout DVDs you can do at hom? Those are always fun. Keep us updated
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #17  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Honey, I recently ran a 10k where everyone was an athlete and I was second to LAST in the race. But did I care? Nope. Because I'm doing it for ME and not for how I might look to other people. And you know what? When I was running for that finish line and all the in shape people had finished and saw me coming they applauded me and cheered me on. It was the best feeling ever, no one's going to think "Oh wow, she's big, how dare she try and lose weight" they're going to think "GOOD FOR YOU!"
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 193/149/140

Height: 5'8

That's awesome that you are wanting to take the plunge and start working out. I totally can relate to that feeling. I grew up overweight and even though I am no longer that size I still experience those self conscious feelings. Hard to overcome! Honestly, no one will be judging you.

If you don't think you are ready to hit group classes I would love to recommend an at home program. May get your confidence up before going public (:

~Kristen
kristenthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #19  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

I do 4 classes a week. There are all shapes and sizes! and ages and body types and ... Nobody cares how big or small you are we are all in it together and commend anyone for showing up (my classes are all at 6:30 am). Now, you need to make sure you do not stumble upon a "crazy fit" class by which I mean some instructors are known for doing insane classes and attract all the uber fit triathlete types. Avoid those classes until you are ready. Once you start going you will get to know people who will make sure you keep coming!
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #20  

oh yeah i would encourage anybody who wants to exercise to go to the gym and start classes. If you can afford it, get a trainer and be picky about which one works with you and your body type. i wasted alot of time by only doing the machines instead of doing classes. once i got in classes, my body started to change some. then i found one of those 'crazy fit' classes lol and it's unofficially referred to as a bootcamp due to the n a z i exercise instructor. i did lose in that class!!! i would still be going except he had changed the class around that i didnt like and i tore up my knee(( that was a couple of years ago now. i've still exercised but had to do different things. now my leg is alot stronger and my knee doesnt hurt as bad. i dont want to rejoin a gym like i was in. i'm in my doctors gym which is small and different. i kind of miss the bootcamp class environment but i do dvds at home and some different programs at my gym. The regular fitness classes are usually perfect for learning correct form, etc. that you can use at home with dvds.

Last edited by thinner; 08-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

In the classes that require more coordination, everyone is too busy trying to keep up themselves to notice if you're getting it or not. Personally, I'm uncoordinated and find that these classes leave me more frustrated than satisfied. But I don't ever feel like I'm out of place in them. If I stop to assess how well everyong else is doing, I see lots of others (of all sizes) struggle as much as me or moreso.

My class of choice is spin and I recommend it to anyone, especially self-conscious beginners. You control your speed and resistance. No one else can tell what your resistance is, so if you need a break, you can descreetly turn it down. And no complicated dance moves!

ETA- I spin twice a week and work out independently on the other days.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I just recently joined the gym--at over three-hundred pounds, mind!--and had a lot of the same feelings that you did. I feel horribly inadequate, especially at cardio stuff. When I swim laps, everyone goes faster than me. Everyone.
I used to lifegaurd and after 4 years of watching people swim everyday, seriously, speed is not the only way to measure yourself. We used to have these big, buff guys come in. They'd jump in the pool all confident and power down the lane. Then they get out after two laps, exhausted and looking shocked at how hard it was (these guys never come back a second time). Swimming is a lot harder than non-swimming athletes take it to be, especially endurance swims.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

After reading all of your awesome comments.. I decided to go to a fitness class.. I went to one called "Total Body Sculpting" and wow I am super sore. I kept up for the most part the entire class except when it came to abs.... Other people that were in the class for the first time were also having problems keeping up, and they were really fit. The class was made up with mostly older ladies (60 +) and they were all in killer shape. The instructor said a few times "If you have any issues with this position.. do it this way" but I told her I wanted to do it their way so I could challenge myself to get there. I look forward to going to classes next week..especially Zumba! I am hoping I can move tomorrow...
Sinderelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #24  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
After reading all of your awesome comments.. I decided to go to a fitness class.. I went to one called "Total Body Sculpting" and wow I am super sore. I kept up for the most part the entire class except when it came to abs.... Other people that were in the class for the first time were also having problems keeping up, and they were really fit. The class was made up with mostly older ladies (60 +) and they were all in killer shape. The instructor said a few times "If you have any issues with this position.. do it this way" but I told her I wanted to do it their way so I could challenge myself to get there. I look forward to going to classes next week..especially Zumba! I am hoping I can move tomorrow...
Whoo whoo! You ROCK!

tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Definitely you rock!!!! I just did my first gym class this week after looking through the window at them hoping one day I would be brave enough to go. Zumba is coming to my gym. I'm not always that coordinated but I want to give it a try. I want to know how it goes for you!
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #26  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Now keep going! Make it part of your life! I LOVE LOVE Zumba! It's tough at first but once you get the songs after a couple of weeks it's a blast, Do NOT give up because week 1 it's hard to follow!!
Go to as many different classes as you can, they all work different muscles.
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #27  

Zumba is something I am excited to try! I am hoping I can move my body a little more by tomorrow.. I want to try the Pilates class and Zumba tomorrow morning.. and I'd like to maybe hit the body sculpting class again tomorrow night.. I can barely move right now BUT that tells me I definitely worked those muscles!

QUESTION:

How often would you recommend going to the gym? I want to go as much as my body allows it since I am out of work right now.. but I don't know if that would be helping or hurting me!

Last edited by Sinderelly; 08-28-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Question regarding the gym
Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #28  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
QUESTION:

How often would you recommend going to the gym? I want to go as much as my body allows it since I am out of work right now.. but I don't know if that would be helping or hurting me!
You want to go to 3 classes tomorrow?! Dang, girl! Sounds like something I'd do . I'd probably do Zumba and pick either pilates or body sculpting- it sounds like the former is more cardio and the latter two are more resistance trainng.

Seriously though, I'd be careful of over-doing it, especially when you are first starting out. Listen to your body- if you are super sore, I'd take a rest day or do something at the gym that isn't going to make you more sore, like low-impact cardio (walking, swimming, stationary bike, etc.). You should be fine working up to going to the gym 6 days a week (if your goal is to go as much as possible), but you still need to figure out how to let your muscles recover. Your body builds muscle during that recovery, so you want to take it! Plus, you won't get as good of a workout in if you're constantly sore.

If you're doing resistance training, put at least a day between sessions- I don't know a ton about Pilates, but with all the body weight stuff, I'm sure that would count as resistance training just as much as the body sculpting class. I work gym classes into my routine, but I use them primarily for cardio. Even then, I still space them out from they days I lift weights. Maybe try to alternate between cardio-based classes and the ones involving resistance training. As much fun as the classes are, it's not worth burning out or risking injury. You have to find the right balance for you.

It's so cool to see you so excited about the exercise classes! Have fun at Zumba!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuende View Post
You want to go to 3 classes tomorrow?! Dang, girl! Sounds like something I'd do . I'd probably do Zumba and pick either pilates or body sculpting- it sounds like the former is more cardio and the latter two are more resistance trainng.

Seriously though, I'd be careful of over-doing it, especially when you are first starting out. Listen to your body- if you are super sore, I'd take a rest day or do something at the gym that isn't going to make you more sore, like low-impact cardio (walking, swimming, stationary bike, etc.). You should be fine working up to going to the gym 6 days a week (if your goal is to go as much as possible), but you still need to figure out how to let your muscles recover. Your body builds muscle during that recovery, so you want to take it! Plus, you won't get as good of a workout in if you're constantly sore.

If you're doing resistance training, put at least a day between sessions- I don't know a ton about Pilates, but with all the body weight stuff, I'm sure that would count as resistance training just as much as the body sculpting class. I work gym classes into my routine, but I use them primarily for cardio. Even then, I still space them out from they days I lift weights. Maybe try to alternate between cardio-based classes and the ones involving resistance training. As much fun as the classes are, it's not worth burning out or risking injury. You have to find the right balance for you.

It's so cool to see you so excited about the exercise classes! Have fun at Zumba!
Thank you for this good advice! I am going to hold off on the pilates class and the other body sculpting class until I am a little less sore, and probably just do Zumba tomorrow for Cardio. Even though I am super sore.. I went to the gym tonight and worked on Abs (Since my abs feel just fine today! haha) and did about 45 minutes of Cardio.. So tomorrow I will probably focus on Cardio if I am still sore and just ease myself into more classes.. UNLESS my soreness is down..then I will do the body sculpting class tomorrow night. I want RESULTS.. le sigh. I am so impatient.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #30  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Definitely start out slower at first-- I wouldn't do over one class per day no matter how you think you feel. It's better to start slow than to burn out fast. You need a rest day for muscles to recover in between resistance type workouts, and at first, even cardio classes will be taxing on your muscles. If you injure yourself by starting too fast, it will only slow you down in the long run.

It's great that you face your fears, though-- the tough part is over now that you've actually been!
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote