Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.4/247.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Default 20-Somethings Moms!

Hey there! I was just wondering how many young moms we have here on 3FC. Looking for support!

Momming is what I do most at the moment (and maybe best!)... I stay at home and take care of the kiddos when we have them, and since it's so sporadic at the moment, it's not easy for me to find a job, which leaves me as a professional babysitter.

Between DH and I suppose we have 3 kids! I'm a step mama (Mama Bee) to J (3) and T (1)... DH and I are having our first child together due this October. T will turn 2 the day before Baby Bee's due date. That's a lot of little babies underfoot at once!

I hung around 3FC quite a bit when I was in college until my final semester got super busy, but I love it here! Very motivational! I'm glad I lost a good amount of weight before getting married and pregnant. I haven't been around much at all this year due to the preggo-ness, but I'm in need of motivation to stay on track for these last couple of months keeping myself close to maintaining my weight by very selective eating and walking, and then after I have brought my little girl into the world we'll get back on the bandwagon. I miss running and dancing!
Mama Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #2  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Hi Bee!
Momming is also what I do at the moment, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! Haha, my kiddos make me laugh all day and they are so amazingly precious! I have 2 a DD who is 7 months old and a DS who is almost 4 years old. I am now done having kids (no more preggos for me) but CONGRATS on your preggoness lol! I remember how it was such a bummer not to run with #2 as long as I did with #1, I was only able to run to about 5 months with DD where I did it to 8 months with DS! It will get better very quickly after I promise! Great job on maintaining and being very good, I was the same way...my husband actually called me the "preggo ****", now I know that might sound bad but it was because I was so insane about correct diet and exercise while I was pregnant and wouldn't "eat for two" or binge out on ice cream and cookies lol! It made life so much easier afterwards, so awesome job! Currently getting the rest of the baby weight (plus stress weight after having the baby) off for me, but only have about half to go and I will be so happy when I get there. Keep working while preggo and you will feel great afterwards!
munstermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #3  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Oops I accidentally forgot to edit that word and the site did it for me, it wasn't b!tch just to let you know lol! Anyway it was more a long the lines of a super regimented person haha...congrats again .
munstermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Hello Mama Bee! I'm also a 20-somethings Mom. I have a DS that's 6 and just started first grade and then a DD that's almost 4 months.
With DS I gained about 35 lbs during the pregnancy and with DD I only gained about 18. Since I'm already overweight, my body already had plenty of fat storage so I guess that's why my weight gain wasn't that bad with DD. Also, I stayed away from sweets and ate a lot of veggies. I just craved them though (which is very weird for me, by the way).

Congrats on your pregnancy!! Do you know what you are having yet?
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #5  

We're having a little girl.

I came back to 3FC because I feel like I've been gaining TOO much weight with this pregnancy, and need some motivation to continue the healthy eating and daily exercise. I was doing okay in the beginning as far as eating, mostly because most food made me nauseated, but I also kept up with running until about 5 months. The past 2 months it started to be painful though, so I've cut back to walking... which I've done pretty good on. The problem has been in food choices I think. It's so hot and I'm so tired and just want to make something simple that I won't have to listen to my husband complain about (he hates veggies and most things that are good for him).

I sent DH shopping today... eeeek... I did him a list. He has a real sweet tooth and I'm hoping he doesn't cave in. The list was actually rather large because we have no food in the house, so hopefully the fact that he has to spend so much to fill the list will be motivational for him to not buy things like doughnuts and ice cream. I told him we don't have room in the freezer for ice cream, which he always seems to pick up. Thankfully I've been more along the lines of craving broccoli and apples lately.

Anyway, so these last couple months of growing baby I need to make sure I'm eating healthy and not gaining excess. I'm 32 weeks... and up 30 pounds. Although, I have maintained my weight the last couple of weeks by simply being more careful about eating junk and walking.

Are you moms staying at home or working?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #6  

I stay at home right now, but I'll be back to college in 2 weeks. I'm working on my elem. ed degree and this is my senior year! Woohoo! I'm so ready to be done with all this and finally getting out into the real world with a real career! Anyway, I think as long as you are walking and making good food choices you should be fine. Don't worry too much about it. Are you planning on breastfeeding after baby is born? If so, that will get rid of A LOT of your preggo weight since what you are gaining is fat storage for milk anyway.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #7  

Oh, and I just want to say that I just adore my sweet baby girl! You will just want to eat your's up. LOL!

Last edited by sgregg; 08-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

I am a SAHM to a 2 year old boy and an 11 month old boy. Life is energetic around here! I utilize the YMCA's free childcare in the morning, it's the only way I get my workouts in.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #9  

Between the cost of a gym membership and the 20 mile round trip... ugh... I have to workout at home. Just can't afford it. I really want a treadmill so I can start running again after baby is born and not have to take a newborn out in the stroller when the temps are getting so cold... but we live in a trailer so there's not much room. There are some cheap ones on craigslist though that I have kept my eye one. A lot of people get rid of treadmills!

I do have some great workout DVDs though so that will help! And I'm planning to breastfeed too. I already have milk leaking all over so I'm sure I won't be one of the gals that has trouble with that. Can't wait to spend a bunch of time going on walks and playing with my baby. One of my first memories of my mom are of her pushing me in my stroller down the backroads, looking for berries, and I can do that same thing! My stepkids are great but I don't get to keep them all the time, so it is sad.

I have an appointment at the OB today! I was out of the area and have not had one for 12 weeks... so hopefully everything is still fine!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

We have an 80% scholarship at the Y because we're so poor right now. So, for my membership it costs $9 per month and I just added DH for another $4 per month. It's a 15 mile trip, so travel does add some time to it, but I just look at it as super cheap babysitting and some time to myself.

You're awesome that you can work out at home! I was so faithful about it before I had kids and now they're underfoot all the time and there's always something else I feel like I should be doing so I have 57 interruptions in a 20 minute workout - it renders it pretty ineffective, lol! And, I'm pretty selfish about the hour I get to myself in the afternoons when the kids naps overlap; I spend that time just for myself.

About taking the newborn out in the stroller, I have a Bob Revolution Duallie and they make awesome weather proof covers for them. While I'm freezing my pahookie off, the kids are nice and toasty inside. I think most joggers have some sort of weather shield you can buy.

Good job figuring out what works, that's key!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #11  

I heard that there are financial scholarships available for the Y. My husband will not exercise, so I wouldn't even have to add him to it... lol... but I might check it out, as I do end up in town at least once a week... could be fun to find a fitness class to take and meet some more people there.

I can do workouts at home as long as there is music going... the 3 year old is content to play with his trucks and talk to himself, and the 2 year old will 'work out' with me if I give her some tomato paste cans to use as weights and tell her to dance. Not sure how long she'll keep that up, but it's great! Gonna have to figure something out because I can't put off working out for the next 18 years just because kids are around...

I'll probably have a month here without snow after Baby is born... strollers and other such are not fun to push in the snow and ice. Hoping to get a nice jogging stroller by the time the ice melts next spring. I should hope to be pretty well back in shape by then already too.

Ugh I had that glucose drink at the OBs office today. Immediate headache. x_x That stuff is nasty and I can't handle all that sugar in the morning!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I'm also a 20-something year old mom (but will be aging out of her before too long). I just have the one but she's quite a handful! I work too (she's in preschool) so it keeps me pretty busy. I've also *almost* lost the baby weight now but it took way longer than expect due to lack of motivation and find time to exercise. I'm hoping next time around I'll be better with getting the weight off quicker.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!!

ETA: I used to do the 30 Day Shred during DD's naptime. It's a little over 20 minutes so the time worked well for me. Oh, and I had a great carrier so I could wear DD everywhere I think that also helped to keep my weight in check. Unfortunately, I think nursing just made me hungrier.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 08-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #13  

Oh, I so miss the Y. I used to live in Chattanooga and worked for them so my membership was free...only had to pay for DH. We don't have one anywhere near where I live now...it's sad.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #14  

I really like 30 DS. I have had it for a year or so... I used it several times a week for a couple months before I started my weight lifting/conditioning class at college last fall. Pshew... I was in SHAPE by the end of last fall. I ran a half marathon and could lift a LOT. Then I gained weight in the winter during holidays and then got married and preggo in January. x_X Now I feel like a jellyfish. Can't wait til I can do a HARD workout again... I miss the intensity.

And oh... the good news for today. DH has to get up at 6 on Wednesdays for his networking meeting. I got up with him today (even though I slept horridly, but I know I'll have a chance to take a nap later), and did my 2 mile walk already this morning while it was still nice and cool. There was a lovely rainbow as it was misting slightly. DH should be back soon now, and he was picking up the kiddos so I'll get some more exercise playing with them, and then probably end up napping with them this afternoon... haha... if it's not raining we might go search out the blackberry bushes on the state land later! Sugar plums and cherry season is close to over now... but now are the blueberry, blackberry, raspberry times... and then comes the apples! I think I'll be canning a lot of applesauce this year to have on stock for the kids and baby. They love it! And I just had the idea to save some of those blackberries to mush up in the sauce as well... blackberry applesauce sounds yummy!

Last edited by Mama Bee; 08-10-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #15  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I wonder if all Ys have childcare. My husband's company has an onsite gym that's completely free with free personal training. I went there before my baby. They do have childcare, but it's only for kids out of diapers, so by the time my first (16 mos) is out of them, we'lll probably have another one, so I'm thinking it will be a long time before I'm able to take advantage of that.

We just found out the diaper thing. Before they had said they just had to be walking, and ours is close. So, it's back to the drawing board. I think our plan is for my husband to work out after work (2 am-- he works second shift) and for me to go around 10 am when we get up while he can stay home with our son. I hate taking 2 hours out of the time I get to spend with my husband, but we're going to give it a shot since it's free and then reevaluate.

I'm also going to start with three days a week instead of the five I was doing before, so it shouldn't impact us too much. There's a gym close by with daycare, and it's about $35/month, so I could go in the evenings while he's at work. We've both agreed that $35 is worth our time together if this becomes an issue. I think I'll check out the Y, too. It's further away from us but only by about ten minutes.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote