TOM and Feeling Very Bad

• Oh folks, I am currently on my TOM and the scale has jumped up. Unfortunately, I am on the third day and it still isn't going down. I've realized tihs 184 is real and that means I've gained five pounds in about two weeks. Its really depressing. I just feel completely disgusting and just like there's no hope in continuing. I know this isn't the case but I think I'm just in a funk. I used to be a D1 athlete and because I graduated, I am no longer spending summers in training. My food intake has always been problematic and I'm currently working on a paradigm shift in the way I think. Truthfully, its weird because I know a lot about nutrition but I'm not sure how to put it into practice. either that, or I straight up lack will power. How did you ladies start back up? Truthfully, I'm clueless. I feel depressed about the weight; however, I'd rather catch it now and reverse the trend then go back up to my start weight. This is clownshoes.
  • I gain about 8 lbs with TOM every month, and it doesn't generally start disappearing until day 5-6. I also learned recently that a minor injury, even sunburn can cause water retention (after I saw a significant gain after a sunburn, even though my calories had been quite low).

The weight is ALWAYS going to fluctuate, ups and downs. So the only failure is giving up.

I failed at weight loss for 35 years because I so often felt "Its really depressing. I just feel completely disgusting and just like there's no hope in continuing," and so I wouldn't. I'd give up and regain it all, then start again, feel hopeless again and start the same cycle over and over and over and over again.

For me, what really helped is realizing how few people succeed in the way I was expecting myself to succeed, and that just staying "in the game" was an accomplishment in itself.
  • Hey just wanted to say i know how depressing it is gaining weight. I don't know what Tom is maybe cause I'm new to the forum but I can tell you what helps me get back on track after messing up. I continue eating how I was except I cut out all drinks except water and no sweets or fried foods but I stay with carve for awhile and work in a consistent workout routein. Then the next week or two I cut back on carve and load up on proteins and veggies. It's a process of trial and error but you have to keep the big goal in mind!
  • Quote: For me, what really helped is realizing how few people succeed in the way I was expecting myself to succeed, and that just staying "in the game" was an accomplishment in itself.
    Wow, this is so true!

Not giving up is very important. No one is perfect and everyone messes up occasionally. You just have to remember why you're doing this and that some loss is better than no loss, and even if you gain some of it back--at least you still have some weight loss! The key point is not giving up!
  • I understand compltely how you feel! It's TOM for me currently and I saw a 8lb gain over night!! It was realy depressing at first but I figured out it was just water and started drinking my lemon juice mixture and now 2 days later I'm back at 201!
    Lemon juice is a diurectic and it helped me shed the water my body was holding onto! Just make sure to stay hydrated!
  • I never know when I'm going to lose the water weight, since i've been dieting its been all over the place. last month I didn't lose it until 4 days after my period ended, other months I lose it on day6, or day5, 1 day after. So I wouldn't worry about it x
  • TOM = time of the month simple

I gained like 5 or more pounds from my last tom and didnt lose it till my last day of my TOM don't sweat it, it will come off