Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

Default Protein Shakes

Do any of you take protein shakes? i started last week taking Maxi TONE and i am defn toning up.. hmmm no weight loss on scales though..
if you take one when do you take it morning ? after exercise? and how often do you take it?
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I take Reset

Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Me...3&sr=8-1-fkmr1

I like the chocolate, I thought it mixed alot better than the vanilla. The vanilla clumped a bit more. I like that it is low GI (since I'm loosely following South Beach) and not loaded with sugar. It is a little pricy though. It tastes decent, mixes well and I don't have much trouble getting it down.

I try to have 1 protein shake a day, but I'll often go several days without having one. I usually drink it around 8pm, to sort of stabalize my blood sugar and help fight the nightime munchies cravings. Its perfect since we eat dinner around 6 and I go to bed around 12. I don't feel "full" but its enough to feel "not hungry."

I can't say anthing to the "toning up" factor. I'm still too flabby to see the muscle underneath it. I do think it gives me more energy for my running though.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254.8 / 210.2 / 135.0

Height: 5'2

I drink the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Protein (Double Rich Chocolate) with a cup of milk each day. It helps stave off chocolate cravings since I get my fix early in the day. I normally have it with a fruit salad right after TF or Zumba.
jumelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I do one or two a day, normally only one. For me, it depends on if I get up late and didn't have time to consume anything before the gym or if I cooked breakfast. I will have a shake before work out, if I didn't have it before work out and I did muscle strength, I will have one after.

If I chart my calories and am still falling short in calories and protein, I will have a shake. I love my protein shakes. I usually do them with water. Sometimes I blend them with frozen fruit and water for a smoothie.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

God bless you. I don't know how people can do protein shakes with water. The thought of it makes me want to gag. I can barely manage them with milk.

I would like to experiment with almond or soy milk though. The silk unsweetened almond milk has only 35 calories, its loaded with nutrients, 1g protein and only 1g carb. I figure the protein shake is sweet and I could add splenda if I need to. If I can get this down and feel ok afterwards I'll definately make the switch.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #6  
TV Watcher

S/C/G: 232/208/160

Height: 5'6"

I have Elite chocolate mint. It's the sort of thing you have to keep a spoon in for stirring because it will settle, but I love it. I had cookies and cream as my last batch and the flavors are spot-on. It's pretty sweet but with no sugar. only 117 calories makes it great to have before a morning workout. It really gets my day started.
triptriptrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #7  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I use Jay Robb whey protein in vanilla (I also really like the chocolate but the vanilla flavor is more versatile IMO) and I mostly drink it immediately following intense workouts and/or kettlebell sessions.

I've tried several different powders over the past year or so and I really like the Jay Robb because it's thick - I just throw some water, ice, strawberries, chia seeds and Benefiber in the blender and it comes out thick & creamy vs thin & watery.
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254.8 / 210.2 / 135.0

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
God bless you. I don't know how people can do protein shakes with water. The thought of it makes me want to gag. I can barely manage them with milk.

I would like to experiment with almond or soy milk though. The silk unsweetened almond milk has only 35 calories, its loaded with nutrients, 1g protein and only 1g carb. I figure the protein shake is sweet and I could add splenda if I need to. If I can get this down and feel ok afterwards I'll definately make the switch.
I'm thinking of switching to skim milk to save on calories, but I think the main reason why the shake holds me so well is because I'm using 2% milk. I tried it with water once and I don't think I'll ever do it again. I was hungry an hour later lol.
jumelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I just started using a protein powder. It's an Indian brand which basically just copied the formula from other companies (oh India and your subpar copyright and intellectual properly laws!) but I was just thrilled to find something in this country.

I do two scoops (about 230 calories, 40 g protein) with a tiny bit of milk, water, and ice (it actually tastes better than water than milk, go figure). I drink half before a workout and half after. Not sure what's better, I think having half of it before is somehow psychologically appealing to me- that I'm preparing my body and muscles for intense exercise.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10  

Maybe try different flavors? I really love the Extreme Chocolate I have used. My girlfriend said she puts a squirt of low fat hershey syrup in hers? I guess I have grown accustom to the taste, so I look forward to it lol
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #11  

I tried chocolate soy protein with water, that was a little rough lol
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

I just have mine with water, but i am going to try it in a smoothie, i like the fact that it gives me a kick for exercising, don't take it everyday but i recon ill keep it up for a little while see the results if any..
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
(oh India and your subpar copyright and intellectual properly laws!)
Even in the USA food cannot be copyrighted. Anyone can copy an existing formula in creating their own product. They can't copy logos or packaging, but the actual recipe can be a true clone.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-30-2011 at 05:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #14  

Throw some frozen fruit in it, perfect smoothie! I have done ice chips in past, but the frozen fruit is more than enough to give it that cold, smoothie feeling
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Even in the USA food cannot be copyrighted. Anyone can copy an existing formula in creating their own product. They can't copy logos or packaging, but the actual recipe can be a true clone.
I understand- that makes sense. What I'm griping about is more generally how little innovation and R & D is here. My protein powder encounters have been yet another example of continued copying of Western products. I'd love for companies and labs to be investing in creating better products to compete with Western ones. Often they fall woefully short in quality, which can lead to inefficacy, at best, and induce harm to the consumer, at worst. There's a regrettable lack of regulation here.

I know that all the buzz is about how entrepreneurial the country is, but Indians who are actually in the social entrepreneur, science/tech, and business scene here, as well as others who live here, will largely say it's a lot of hype.

Ok sorry, off-topic post over!

PS 3FC just edited out R & D (which I typed originally without spaces), which is why I had to edit this post. Wonder why that happened?

Last edited by indiblue; 05-30-2011 at 10:43 PM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote