Old 05-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #1  

Default Do you notice any pattern in how your weight fluctuates?

I will rapidly lose 3-4 lbs in one week, then for 1 week - 10 days, my weight will stay the same or I'll gain a few lbs in water weight. I'll start to get bloated up to a week before my period, stay bloated throughout my period, and then lose several lbs all over again in the space of 1-2 weeks. I never consistently lose weight, like 2 lbs every week. I might lose 5 lbs in one week and not lose anything (or seem as if I've gained weight due to water retention) for almost 3 weeks, then lose 3 more lbs.

It drives me crazy, having my weight seesaw like that, but in the end I do see results. This last month for example I've lost 7 lbs, but it drives me nuts when my weight fluctuates and I feel like I'm losing control.
blancheneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #2  

Yup, I just went up 1 pound today and got a bit bummed, even though that is totally normal and unless I scarfed some burgers while sleeping, I doubt I ate an excess of 3500 cals lol. Some people say that its best to weigh yourself once a week because the weight can go up and down and freak you out. I think everyday is fine if you are cool with seeing your weight fluctuate a bit! I actually weigh myself at the end of the day out of curiousity lol. But yes, on my TOM, I go up 3-5 pounds. The diff btwn the morning weight (on a regular day) and the evening after eating can be anywhere from .5 pounds to 3 pounds. =)

As far as control, idk if this helps but I feel most control by controlling how I react. I think that that sometimes I want to give up because I am not seeing results, but I feel control because despite that I continue on or I find a better strategy.

Last edited by pixelllate; 05-27-2011 at 04:13 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #3  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I am similar in pattern as you. I drop pounds the week after my period, then for 3 weeks I am fairly steady.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214.3/200.4/150

Height: 5'9

I definitely haven't figured out a pattern yet. I weigh almost every day and sometime it fluctuates 1-3lbs, which is normal, and others I gain 5+ lbs!

Last week, I didn't weigh myself for 3 days, and the scale said I lost 11lbs!

Right now I've been between 199-202ish. I'm trying not to let any gains get to me and if I do gain, I just focus even harder on sticking to my healthy lifestyle and hope for improvements the next day.
gnat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #5  
Simplicity

S/C/G: 192/ticker/130

Height: 5"2

For me when I do not workout the scale goes up. I have to do at least 3 days a week in order to be safe
kgsmiles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsmiles3 View Post
For me when I do not workout the scale goes up. I have to do at least 3 days a week in order to be safe
Does this happen to everyone? why? is is because drinks lots of water? i'm, curious because i exercised hard 6 days this week and still the same weight

blancheneige: i am the same it drives me crazy too, cos if its irregular it throws my losing out for about 8 weeks then yo-yo up and down grrrrr
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #7  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

My pattern changes. Sometimes I lose a little every other day and sometimes I stay the same for several days and whoosh over a couple days.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #8  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

Mine is something like : lose, lose, lose a little bit, gain, stay put, gain, lose alot, stay put-- start over. I weigh daily. And sodium is a specific brand of evil, if I want to see a lose, I will have to eat a lot of fiber and limiting the sodium.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #9  

my weight loss is CONSTANTLY two steps forward, one step back. and right before my period, I will gain a couple lbs and it will stick there till the very end, then after my period is done, I will end up weighing 1-2 lbs less than when I started.

I can never let myself get excited when I see a new low on the scale, because I know it will be fleeting, go up again, then plunge back down in a few weeks or so.

Still downward trend if you look at my weight fluctuations over a month though!
Born This Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

My flucuates a lot too. I usually will lose alot for 1-2 weeks then barely any or none at all and back and forth. It's annoying. I seem to lose more weight when I get more sleep...I have noticed that. I'm a mommy so I only get about 5-6 hours a night usually because my husband works 3rd shift. But when he doesn't work and he gets up with the the baby at night and I get around 8-10 hours of sleep I usually see more of a loss. So I always feels like I lose the most on the weekends when he is home and I get sleep! WEIRD
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

M pattern tends to be 4-5 days of staying at almost exactly the same weight or losing and gaining the same 0.20 lbs, and then randomly I'll lose 2 lbs in one day. In my case, I don't think it's really related to sodium because my sodium intake tends to be pretty level and doesn't really change or fluctuate much... my sodium is ALWAYS below 1500 mg, and often below 1000 mg. I do find that exercise is related though. I find that if I do several days of fairly intense cardio and/or strength training, I won't lose any weight, but then as soon as I take a day off from the gym (and do some light exercise like an hour of walking instead), I will lose a bunch. I believe the explanation I've heard offered for this phenomenon is that with a lot of exercise, your muscles are strained and tend to hang on to a lot of water because they are stressed and need to repair/rebuild. It all balances out in the end though, so I'm cool with it, and I know the exercise makes me FEEL amazing, even if doesn't result in instant lbs being taken off.

TOM is usually an automatic 3-4 lbs gain for me, but then I'll lose it again pretty quickly after the first two days of my period (my only heavy flow days).
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/120

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I usually see two or three days of loss (anywhere from .2 to .9 lbs). Then there will be a slight "uptick" in weight (again, anywhere from .2 to .9 lbs). Repeat until TOM when my weight will go up about 2 lbs. in the beginning, and slowly decreases over the week.

In the past couple of days my weight went up sooner than usual, but I also have been staying up much later than usual, waking up later and weighing in later as a result. *shrugs*
chubbypanda is offline   Reply With Quote