Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

Default Debunked!!!

What are some of the things you have learned while on your weightloss journey?

I, for one, have learned that 1200 calories is NOT a good idea when you are working out and trying to lose weight.

That eating less DOES NOT mean losing more weight quicker.

That muscle strength building IS ok for women and helps with weight loss journeys.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #2  

Also, eating healthy, doesn't mean eating bland nasty foods!!

I have egg sandwiches for breakfast
Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

That "diet", "light", "fat-free", "sugar-free" foods are NOT healthier and are not necessarily better for your diet. The light/fat-free foods have often been loaded with increased sugar or sodium to make up for removed fat, cancer-causing artificial sweeteners or other artificial, fake filler ingredients and preservatives. I've learned that I'd way rather budget some calories for some creamy, rich greek yogurt or a tablespoon of all-natural full-fat mayo in which the only ingredients are eggs, vinegar and canola oil than have nasty unhealthy fat-free mayo or nasty "diet" yoplait that has that chemically aftertaste. Fat is not your enemy!

Btw, 1100-1200 actually works perfectly for me, although I am a bit below your height and weight. For me the magic number I can't go below is 1000 calories. For me though anywhere between 1100-1200, assuming all of those calories are coming from whole, natural fibre-rich and/or protein-rich foods and not processed stuff, is just enough to give me tons of energy for exercise and keep me feeling full while still losing fast. I have tried higher numbers like 1400 and 1500 and I didn't lose much of anything, even with increased exercise.

Last edited by alicia89; 05-30-2011 at 10:40 PM.
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #4  

When I lose more, I am sure I will have to re calulate my caloric intake. And you are right, most of those "fat-free" are still proessed foods, which are not good.

You know what is weird, I have a hard time filling my calorie intake! Now, I could fill it with jumk, but I have learned healthier food tends to be lower in calories, making me eat even more!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #5  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

What a great idea for a thread =) Can't wait to read others, here are mine:

I have learned that drinking skim milk after a work out instead of a protein shake helps you gain more lean muscle and lose fat quicker. (oh how I love my studies!) - This one has helped me MAJORLY!

I have learned that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TONING!! The whole "I just want to get toned" ...no, you just want to lose fat so we can see your muscle. Work out, do cardio, do strength training and you'll get the "Toned" look. Tone is just being able to see your muscles because the fat is gone. This was taken from an article on toning and firming that REALLY helped me see things clearly and understand my body so much better!

"Ok here it is….drum role…there is no such thing as toning and firming. Yes, you read that correctly. The term “toning and firming” is an industry marketing term designed to sell you product, diets, supplements, and programs. It has no actually basis in reality.

How can that be you ask? I will tell you. Your body has no idea or specific mechanism for “toning and firming.” You can gain or lose fat and you can gain or lose muscle. That's it. Those are essentially your choices based on biological reality. Now, if you lose some fat and gain some muscle, you will be more “toned” in appearance and “firm” to the touch, but the body does not know from toning and firming, and that's a fact.

Thus, your goal should be to lose fat (not just weight!) and gain muscle."

Just like you can't tone and firm, you also can't spot tone. Even though it was a hard pill to swallow, I'm glad I finally did!

I have learned that I am blessed! When starting my work out regimen I immediately began with strength training, therefore helping to KEEP my muscle instead of losing it, which in turn helps me burn more calories through out the day! - So in short, strength training is just as important as cardio. With that said, I also LOVE feeling and seeing my muscle, just as much if not more than I like seeing the weight fall off lol.

For more info on that, read this: http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/the...t/443268231941

I have learned NOT to sugarcoat things. So many times now my friends have asked me for advice and sometimes they will say things like "Oh you didn't lose this week? You must be gaining muscle" No...you don't gain muscle in a day or two days or a week or really even a month! It's virtually impossible for that to be true. Males should expect no more than 1-2lbs of muscle mass per month and women no more than ½ to 1lb per month. And that is with A LOT LOT LOT of strength training. I'd rather have people be straight with me than feed me bologna. (never was a fan of bologna sandwiches!)

Lastly, I have learned that we are ALL different. Some things can be proven to be fact through studies etc. But when it comes to programs such as Nutrisystem, WW, counting calories, life steps in. It is all about preference. What may work for me, may not work for the next person, because at the end of the day we have to be able to make it LIVEABLE!

If it's not something you can live with doing for the rest of your life, there's no point!

Also, we ALL look diff at diff weights, if someone else is 5'4 and weighs the same as me, I try not to judge myself if they look "thinner" or "more muscular" or whatever...our body types are ALL different! What inspires me is the LOOK OF HEALTHINESS!

Last edited by Krizstyling; 05-31-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #6  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Yes, yes, yes to everything y'all have said!

Also, I've learned that losing weight is WORK. There is no magic pill or really easy solution! But having a slim, athletic body is worth the work.

That "fat" is NOT a feeling and that if you don't love yourself BEFORE you start losing, being thin won't magically make you happy.

That exercise doesn't have to be miserable! In fact, even though it's work, weight loss can be fun.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

1. You do the diet that works for you at that moment of your life. My eating habits have evolved over this past year and I've had to learn to adjust and to where I am with weight loss and what I need at this moment.

2. Weight lifting is fun and can really help the way you look at your body weight. A HUGE difference!

3. Buying bras sucks during weight loss

4. Keep your goals fluids and be happy with ANY weight loss no matter how slow.

4. Measurements, measurements, measurements.

5. Always take before pictures, you'll appreciate it down the road

6. Buying quality foods makes a world of difference. I'm a total food snob now.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #8  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Weight loss has to be fast. I was never happy with the thought of my weight loss taking over a few weeks to achieve let alone over a year so instead I just stayed the same

Losing weight has to leave you feeling deprived 24/7 to be working

I could suffer through a few weeks of being hungry lose all my weight and go back to the way I used to eat.

I will never find exercise enjoyable, people who do enjoy exercising are obsessive health freaks

boy I had a whacked out perception of weight loss (I'm still learning)

Last edited by supergir111; 05-31-2011 at 10:45 AM.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

I have learned that even if the scale isn't budging, to MEASURE yourself regularly. Sometimes you see changes on the measuring tape way before you see changes on the scale.

I have learned that you can eat 1400 calories of McDonalds and not lose a pound (sometimes gaining!), but 1400 calories of clean eating melts the weight off.

I have learned that if you just simply keep going back to the gym day after day, it actually DOES turn into a happy habit. I look forward to my gym time now - its one of my favorite ways to clear my head! Endorphins FTW!

I have learned that low-carb doesn't work for me!

I have learned to ditch any diet plan that adds vegetables onto the "no no" list.

I have learned that you cannot spot train weight loss. You can do crunches until you are blue in the face, but you won't see any muscle build until you get your overall fat % down!
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #10  

krizstyling, I could have written that myself. These are excellent points that need to be perpetuated on forums like this!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4''

When I get cravings, it is usually my body telling me its hungry even if I don't feel hungry

A midmorning snack helps me stay alert when I used to feel so sleep around noon

Every body is different, and what works for some doesn't work for others

Losing water weight at the beginning is exciting, but that quickly ends and you have to keep motivated losing lesser amounts

Constipation can cause me to magically gain a pound in weight
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #12  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
krizstyling, I could have written that myself. These are excellent points that need to be perpetuated on forums like this!
Thanks lady!!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #13  

I didn't know about the Slim milk!! I will have to try that!! Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

That it is not instant, persistance pays off. slow off slow on..

Started in January and have kept a notebook of daily food exercise general mood/bloat/energy etc and this little notebook is excellent to look back on when you've had a bad loss or a good loss so as to know what worked that week..

Cannot eat chicken as it makes me sleepy ( bizzare but again thanks to my notebook)

Exercise Exercise Exercise gives more energy more agility and better mentality

also healthy food help with all of the above to..

i think i might also try the slim milk idea
curlysue82 is offline   Reply With Quote