Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #1  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

Default Motivation, Such an Aggrivation

I am completely lacking in motivation. I am a college senior in the middle of finals week. Now let me define a word for you, "senior-itis" is a disease that all seniors get because they know school is ending soon FOR GOOD. Usually I pig out during finals week to help me study but this year finals week has been especially emotionally draining because I know I am so close to the end of college. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and am looking forward to graduate school. I just can't stand all the stupid classes I am required to take by my school - I feel so under challenged and unexcited by these unstimulating courses that I am just pigging out to get myself to focus on work. Ironically, while I am complaining about my work now, I am even more freaked out about when it ends. What do you do when your life, which has been guided by teachers for the past 22 years, suddenly becomes empty and it is up to me to fill it with a job and purpose. For the past 22 years my only purpose had been to get A's in school. What now? I am terrified I won't be qualified for any job. I am just so afraid of the future and that is also contributing to my eating
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hey there =)

Forget motivation. Try commitment.

I know it seems like a strange detail, but it's not. It's actually very important.

Motivation happens on a whim. We can't always decide to be motivated. But, we can decide to be committed every day.

Instead of waiting until you "feel" like doing something (motivation) how about this very night you decide there's something this week that you can commit to. Like those snacks you're grazing on... maybe you can plan to take one break while working and have a meal instead. Or perhaps you can make sure what you're having is healthier for you...like cut up veggies.

It's scary going out into the real world. It's an ice bath, and everyone has to go through it. You'll be fine. You'll learn new things. You'll adapt.

In the meantime, the extra eating is probably adding to your stress since you're also looking to take off a few pounds. Find something that de-stresses you that isn't food.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

The year after I finished my masters degree was the best year ever - weight loss wise. You spend all day applying for jobs, getting rejected, you don't have much to do all day and your friends are suddenly scattered across the country. I felt that what I ate was pretty much the only thing I had control of, so I focused a lot of effort into that!
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote