Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #1  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Ideas for "School Lunches"

Hi everybody!

I need some help. I teach Pre-K and I eat lunch in the classroom with the kids every day. I'm getting so sick of my staples and it's getting hard to stay motivated. I'm looking for interesting ideas for lunches. I do have access to a microwave, refrigerator, and a freezer.

The problem is, I'm SUPER picky. I don't like salad. I don't like uncooked vegetables. I'm afraid to try hummus. I don't like white creamy foods like vanilla yogurt or sour cream or cream cheese....It gets hard for me to think of new things when I'm so picky, but I don't know what else to do. I can't help that there are certain things that I just don't like.

I have been bringing granola bars, baked chips, sometimes some fruit like mandarin oranges or a banana, something "fun" like a small bag of fruit snacks, and then either a smart ones, lean cuisine, or a healthy choice, or a sandwich and some soup (without as much stuff on the side because I've got the soup). Sometimes I bring baby bell cheese or weight watchers cheese. I just went to the grocery store and I got some frozen breaded chicken breast tenders, and I'm baking some right now so I can bring them tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. They were much bigger then I was expecting though and I think that maybe even one will be too much.

It's just so hard to avoid all of that junk that my kids in my class get in their lunches (oatmeal cream pies are my weakness), and it gets even harder when I'm getting so sick of what I'm eating. ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I really like wheat thins, especially the new sundried tomato basil flavor. I eat them with laughing cow cheese -- 185 calories.

I also like BLTs, but I sub mayo (which I hate) for marzetti's ranch veggie dip (like 10 calories to spread on the bread).

Another thing I sometimes eat is mozzarella tomato basil sandwiches, but make sure to keep the tomato separate until you eat it.

I am a teacher, too, and on days I skip lunch I eat a special k meal replacement bar in chocolatey chip. I eat the 180 calorie version (since it is for a meal), but they make "snack" sizes that are 90 calories. That might curb your sweet tooth!
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #3  
Pinkie Pie Pony

S/C/G: 194/180.2/125

Height: 5'5

Lettuce and tomato sandwiches- depending on your bread choices 130-200 cals
Those little tuna packs around 80 or 90 cals.
Special K bars a good idea
Slim fast bars
Basically any of the diet bars lol
Ramen noodles with just soy sauce in them.
Steamer veggies- the ones you can just toss in the microwave.
Fruit of course.
If you have time you could make things the night before and then just reheat in the microwave.
The slim fast site has a ton of different suggestions for snacks that are all around 100 cals.
Goody3shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.6/226.8/150

Height: 5'3

I know you're picky so this may not be your cup of tea, but I really love canned chili for lunch! I go to Safeway generally, and they have the Eating Right brand that has healthy chili and it's AWESOME! I love it. Also, I am a huge fan of those Cafe Steamers. I know they are another frozen meal, but they don't taste like it. Also, I've tried Yoplait Delights just recently, and they are pretty good if you don't yogurt other colors than white. And if anything, the Yoplait Whips are really good because they don't even taste like yogurt. (Sometimes I get into phases where I hate yogurt, but I can always eat the whips.) And I generally have a 100 calorie pack. I know it can get hard when you have a whole box of the packs because you want to eat them all, but when you make sure to only bring them for lunch, they are low in calories/weight watcher points (my program) and they are perfectly portion controlled.

Also, someone mentioned Wheat Thins, which reminded me of a snack/meal I eat which tastes soooo good! You put some reduced fat Triscuts on a plate, cover them in low fat cheese (generally shredded) and throw it in the microwave. When you take it out, throw some salsa on it and you have a healthy version of nachos!

Hope any of my ideas helped!
LogRollMagerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

If you prefer most things cooked, maybe more leftovers from dinners?

Because of my own busy life with school and work I make many foods with the intention of leftovers - meats, stews, and bring portions to be re-heated wherever I am. (Sometimes I eat 3 meals away from home!)

I often empty some frozen veggies in a separate container to microwave with my lunch/dinner.

Other things:
Those mini-cans of tuna on crackers or vegetables
Hard-boiled eggs
Oatmeal packets

Good luck!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #6  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinwaterglobe View Post

I also like BLTs, but I sub mayo (which I hate) for marzetti's ranch veggie dip (like 10 calories to spread on the bread).

Another thing I sometimes eat is mozzarella tomato basil sandwiches, but make sure to keep the tomato separate until you eat it.
Another teacher here! I LOVE tomato and mozzarella sandwiches, so I really like this suggestion. Also, I sometimes sub out bread and just have sliced tomato and mozzarella with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. You can add cucumber too, and a little vinegar.

BLTs rule. Simply stated.

I'm Italian so some of my suggestions might seem weird, but cold, cooked spinach and red-wine vinegar is AWESOME. I eat it twice a week and it's a great, cool, salad. And you can add stuff to it like chicken or anything.

Tuna on crackers, I like because I need crunch in my diet. I'm the weird one who mixes pistachios into tuna... or celery for a more "normal" thing!

Also, I totally here you on the "don't eat what the kids eat." I'm at the high school level and everything is either chicken nuggets or BBQ pork subs or cheesy mac. Lucky them!

And, if I have time, I'll make whole wheat English muffin pizza to bring. Fresh mozzarella, basil, a little ham and micro it! Bam! Pizza. Good stuff.

Edit: I have to add, I was scared of humus too. Then I tried it. It is AWESOME. There are all sorts you can eat, especially if you check out Whole Foods or such. I have had their garlic lemon humus, red pepper humus, black olive and cracked pepper humus, garden veggie humus... pretty much whatever you can think of, they have! And it's really good. I eat it on celery or carrots. Awesome. Don't be scared, it's really good!

Last edited by Thousandsunny; 05-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandsunny View Post
Another teacher here! I LOVE tomato and mozzarella sandwiches, so I really like this suggestion. Also, I sometimes sub out bread and just have sliced tomato and mozzarella with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. You can add cucumber too, and a little vinegar.

I'm Italian so some of my suggestions might seem weird, but cold, cooked spinach and red-wine vinegar is AWESOME. I eat it twice a week and it's a great, cool, salad. And you can add stuff to it like chicken or anything.
All of this. I'm italian too and I eat that salad at least twice a week too. I usually add Roma tomatoes and cucumbers. So tasty.

I'm not a teacher, but I pack for work everyday. My standby's are:

Progresso low sodium soup-in-a-can.. The whole can is sometimes 160 cals, hello!
Laughing Cow cheese wedges
Pretzel sticks (Walmart Great Value brand is 40 sticks for 100 cals, and MMMM with the LC wedge!)
10-cal Jello cups
String cheese
Chips & salsa
Baked Lays (mmm, sour cream and cheddar, )
I love fruit & veggies, though.... Today I packed a banana and an orange, and I'll likely have at least 4 servings of veggies at home later. It's a problem, lol.
I use the sandwich thins and use pb and SF jelly on them, YUM... or even pb and some banana slices.
I love tuna with some olive oil mayo, a bunch of oregano and some celery & onion.. On wheat things, usually.. or cucumbers, depending on if I have them.

I have more ideas, I'll have to check my shopping list!

I bring random foods to eat all day long... I guess I'm a snacker. I've already had my breakfast here, but I still have my soup, pretzels, LC wedge, string cheese and jello to go... And I'll have only had, maybe 650 cals by the time I get home.

Yey.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I pretty much do the same thing almost every day, and I work at a school (though not a teacher).
Snack: fruit
Lunch: soup
Snack: carrots and hummus

You may want to try making your own hummus just to see if you like it. It can't hurt to try, right?

Other snacks I like and pack for my daughter are popcorn, wasa with cheese, cherry/grape tomatoes, Greek yogurt with a bit of honey, dried fruit, and nuts.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I'm just going to say what is normally in my lunch bag of food for the day and you can consider what are options for you. (because you're very right... you are picky!)

- fruit (changing it up: pear, apple, banana, orange) x2
- Sandwich wrap (turkey slices/ham/tuna, miracle whip, lettuce, mustard on 6" wrap)
- pre-maid ziploc of veggies (baby carrots, celery, grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 oz raw almonds (from bulk barn so they're fresh)
- 3 oz. greek natural yogurt (don't like normal flavoured yogurt - too sweet)
- leftovers from night before
- home made soup/lasagna/shepard's pie/chili
- taco salad

GL!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #10  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I definitely like the chili idea. I guess I should have mentioned i'm allergic to eggs and to shellfish/tuna/most seafood. I generally just stay away from seafood because I don't know if i'll have a reaction or not.

does anyone know of a way to steam broccoli in the microwave? I absolutely love steamed broccoli, but I don't like it when it's steamed and then reheated.

also, is there anythimg else to eat hummus with? I really dislike cellery and carrots. Lol.

I guess part of my problem is that I don't think of things like fruit salad or soup as a meal. I think of those as a side to go with something else. Maybe I need to stop thinking about what the main course is and start thinking only about the total amount of calories. Idk.

also, does anyone have any good, low cal fruit salad recipies? I love fruit....lol. I'd choose fruit over vegetables any day.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

It's easy to steam broccoli in the microwave. Put in a dish, add a tiny bit of water, cover with saran wrap, microwave on high until it's done. (sorry I can't say how long.... I normally use the "sensor cook" and every microwave is different)

hummus and pita bread. The one and only way in my books. Just have to watch on the portion sizes.

And for fruit, I would always choose a fresh whole fruit or cut up by itself rather than fruit salad with the unnecessary extra sugars etc. No help there

Last edited by prepping; 05-04-2011 at 04:24 PM.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

Hey DivineFi! I'm a teacher too - I totally hear ya on the lunch thing! The problem with me is that most times, there's some Tex-Mex option in my lunch line at school and I'm a sucker for that stuff. :/

My best suggestion was chili. I also love to roast veggies ahead of time and reheat those. It goes great with chicken that's been reheated too!

Also - I've got a great low fat chicken tortilla soup recipe that is spectacular left-over!

Another suggestion is to bring some left-over egg bake casserole if you're OK with doing the breakfast for lunch thing....

And almonds. They are my go-to mid-morning snack.
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Bell pepper strips with hummus. YUM. I also use hummus as the condiment for my wraps/sandwiches.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/162/140-130

Height: 5'6"

Default hi

When i was active duty in the Navy and out on patrol my options were either snack foods or Subway...I love subway but it gets expensive too. So i would get like a sandwich container and put a piece of already baked chicken in there with anytype of frozen veggies and season to taste. When it came time to eat I would throw it in the microwave and it always tasted good to me. I love brussel sprouts and a dash of garlic salt . It always satisfied me to get through the rest of shift and its super healthy! Hope I helped
hesmyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Also, you can buy ziplock steamer bags to steam your broccoli (or pretty much any other veggies for that matter).

You can also eat hummus with pretzels (or pretzel chips!) Also, I must suggest that if you don't have a whole foods and can only buy commercial brand hummus, then you should buy Sabra. It is not the least expensive, but I've found it to be the best. I swear I lick the container clean every time! I love the garlic one.

As for other lunch ideas, I don't have any ideas that are too unique.
- I love making a soup or stew in large quantities to bring for lunch. I don't mind eating something like that a few days in a row.
- I'm usually really rushed in the morning and most often I just eat 3 or 4 pieces of fruit. Sometimes lunch doesn't have to be conventional.
- Also, since you like cooked foods, just experiment with making different dinners and make extra for lunch leftovers. This would be much better for you than eating the frozen meals you have been eating (so much sodium!) Some good ideas include steak stirfry with brown rice and peas or chicken pad thai with rice noodles and sugar snap peas.
- Also, everyone mentioned tuna, which you are allergic to... so you could experiment making your own chicken salads, either with fresh baked chicken or swanson canned chicken breast.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know! Good luck!
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote