Old 05-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/175/No idea

Height: 6'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleujean View Post
I understand completely. I also wonder if once you start exercising/dieting and start seeing results, if you can ever be 'satisfied'.

Lurker, I'm 6'3" as well and about 177 now and understand your dilemma exactly. I am a perfect size 10, which, for 6'3" is pretty small but I still look like a cow. I am skinnyfat too and have been trying to rectify the issue but it's slow going. What is your end goal/objective?

I don't really have an end goal. I'm aware that it's getting down to the point where I could possibly end up losing too much, and I want to stay healthy. I'm thinking 165-160 may be the cutoff.

I haven't actively been cutting calories or really "trying" to lose weight, aside from eating healthy and exercising, so I think I may alter some of my exercises. My main routine centers around 20-30 minutes of weight training with mat exercises and another 30 on my exercise bike. The weather is nicer now so I think I'm going to start running each night I can and maybe I can tone those areas to some degree.

As to whether or not you can feel satisfied, I don't think it's really a body image problem with this thread, at least with my case. I look fantastic - just as long as my clothes are on .

-L89
Lurker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #17  

Well I felt good yesterday when I went to visit my family. My sister was whispering to her boyfriend that I look like a stick, and that she can tell that I've been working out. It would have been nice for her to tell me that herself, but it was nice to overhear. I can't remember the last time someone called me a 'stick' not since I was 15 I don't think. It's good to know my belly isn't as noticeable as I thought. I was going to go to the gym today to work out, but of course it's pouring. I can't wait until I drive so that I can just drive to the gym. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.
Ashley868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

Ever since I can remember I've had that little pouch of fat on my lower tummy. When I was like 110 in high school it was still there.

Whenever I'm stressing over it (aka now, summertime) I always think about getting lipo there. I want to go to a consultation just to see what the doc would say.

I'm going to start planks though, I always forget about those!
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #19  

^Do those work? I do a lot of sit ups and crunches and cardio. Planks have always been something I don't like, but I will suffer through them if they shrink my belly. I've been wanting to do the weights as well at the gym, but because it's been raining all week I haven't made it. I don't drive. So tomorrow I will be able to go though, it's going to be nice all week. So now I can make up for a week of laziness.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #20  

Height: 5'2

Well firstly congratz on getting to a size 6, wow dats great work. I think you should work on toning up, so more strength training so as to firm up your tummy. Keep up the great work.
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #21  
メーガン - 明願 - 명원

S/C/G: 212/157/152/maintaining

Height: 5'10"

I'm a size 10 and am maintaining at that size, and I definitely still have a pooch. Jeans flatten it out and I look thinner; skirts don't and I look okayish. But I think I could starve myself and still have it; that's just where I store my bodyfat. So I think if I really want to get rid of it, I'll have to tone my tummy with exercises, not lose more weight. I got over it though, so I haven't really worked on it yet.. ( ̄_ ̄ i)
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #22  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I would have to see actual pictures but I suspect a large part of the problem is we are our own worst critics and we have an unrealistic idea of what we can accomplish.

Not everyone can be a swimsuit or underwear model and even those ladies only look that good after professional hair/makeup and most importantly .. touchup.

Fitness competitors look the way they do on a specific day for a competition or a photo shoot and not year round. They manipulate water balance in the days leading up and their diet is ultra restrictive for weeks if not months before THE DAY. Then of course they have spent many hours in the tanning booth as well ... and many have had some sugical enhancements performed as well.

Having said all of that - I understand the feeling - as I'm certainly at a healthy weight myself but I'm trying to shed the fat covering up my abs - but unfortunately for me genetically that is going to be the last bit of fat to go - so I'll be at this for months and if I do reach that goal my face will likely be so thin I can be a skeleton for Halloweeen without a mask.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 168/133/126

Height: 5' 9"

Planks, like crunches etc will help tone up the muscles for sure but sadly a belly pooch can just be a genetic thing. Even when I was 105lb at 5' 9" I still had a little pooch.

It sucks but it's just my bodyshape
RummyMcGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #24  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I would definitely start incorporating some more core strengthing exercises into your work out routine. Our core muscles are so important. Try Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack. Its a great video.

Also, I am 5'4 and now a size 6. I don't really have belly issues, but I do still think my arms and thighs are too big. (I will never have tiny arms (genetics) but I have been doing p90x to help firm them up. I can now see definition in my shoulders and my triceps are getting firmer.) But I think I'm still seeing them as they were when I was a 14/16. I think our minds play tricks on us. When I feel like my arms look too big in a tank top, I just remind myself that I'm a size 6, they can't be as big as I feel like they are. And when I see my reflection or a picture of me I'm always surprised at how small I look.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I would have to see actual pictures but I suspect a large part of the problem is we are our own worst critics and we have an unrealistic idea of what we can accomplish.
^ Agreed! It's not about a spot here or there that we don't like, it's about the whole and our own confidence and happiness. Not everyone can have a model's body, but that doesn't mean we don't look just as good or better than a model!

I bet you look amazing and that exercise in addition to feeding your body healthy foods will give a marked improvement on your overall look without you even noticing. Enjoy yourself!

(btw, I learned a lot about what other people see by starting to trust my DH when he complimented me. He doesn't see what I see at all! And I bet you anything that goes for everyone else too)
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #26  

Well I put a picture in the one sticky post, but I've attached the pictures here too. I had to take it with my webcam because I don't know where the cord for my camera is. You can see the belly in the pictures though. I took those for another website because you need before/after photos. So those are my before photos. I am hoping to post after photos with out the belly sticking out.

But about the genetics and belly thing. I never used to have a belly before I gained weight, and I was this size before. I've heard the belly is the hardest to get rid of those. I've also heard cardio and core exercises help though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture0269.jpg (16.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Picture0270.jpg (16.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Picture0271.jpg (16.1 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Ashley868; 05-04-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 203/123/124

Height: 5'6"

Does your belly only stick out like that when you bend over?
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #28  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
But about the genetics and belly thing. I never used to have a belly before I gained weight, and I was this size before. I've heard the belly is the hardest to get rid of those. I've also heard cardio and core exercises help though.
Yep - you have a little bell! . Bad news is that from how things are looking it appears your belly will be really tough to get ride of without surgury. The good news is that it will get smaller over time as you continue to lose. Other good news is that appears to be your only "problem" area.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to spot reduce. Certainly strengthening the muscles underneath will help "tone" the area.

If it makes you feel any better - I didn't have a belly either before I gained weight and now it is the last area of fat to go away.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #29  

No it kind of sticks out when I don't either. I'd have to find the cord for my camera to be sure though. That sucks though, lol. I don't want to have surgury. I heard you can't 'spot reduce' either. You have to lose weight all over your body. I'm just going to continue to work out, and hope that it goes away. Obesity does run in my family though unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Yep - you have a little bell! . Bad news is that from how things are looking it appears your belly will be really tough to get ride of without surgury. The good news is that it will get smaller over time as you continue to lose.
Okay, I agreed with your first post, but not this one. Btw, I'll give you a bit of a pointer when talking to women about their bodies -- sometimes brutal honesty is not the route to take. I don't know about Ashley, but I personally would not want to hear that I couldn't do something without resorting to surgery. Especially when it really isn't a sure thing at all! (this suggestion is not up for debate btw. )

To Ashley, you're young!!! That makes a world of difference when it comes to the changes we can do with our bodies! Again, exercise that includes weight/resistance training and feeding your body healthy nutritious foods is THE ONLY WAY to achieve what you are looking for. Sure it takes time and a lot of effort. Because if it was really that easy, everyone would have the perfect body. The lucky few exist that do not have to work at getting what looks like a perfect body -- but it won't be perfect forever.

And regardless, as long as you're healthy in every way that you have control over, then you'll feel good and look good! If I was to indulge in every food I wanted to, I'd feel good at the time but that's it. When I work out consistently and eat right, then.... I feel good, I have energy, I look good, I have more confidence, the list goes on.

And also, a bending over pic of a belly is not a pic to centre yours or anyone elses opinion on. That is not how you present yourself in regular every day life... and if you do, then you really need to see a chiropractor.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote