3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Counting calories-- do you look at fat grams too? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/229349-counting-calories-do-you-look-fat-grams-too.html)

xLindsay46 03-30-2011 05:00 PM

Counting calories-- do you look at fat grams too?

I see people talking about counting calories, but is that all that they count and go by? What about the grams of fat? I guess I'm just not exactly sure how it works. Anyone care to explain? :)

ERHR 03-30-2011 05:08 PM

Personally I keep track of calories, fat, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugar, and protein. What you keep track of depends on what your dietary goals are. I'm trying to limit sugar and net carbs so want my fat and protein up pretty high. Calories come along for the ride and I have a range I try to hit each day, but the carbs are more important to me. Certainly if you are only trying to control your calories that's all you need to track, unless you become interested in how your macronutrient ratios or sodium intake or whatever affect your loss or how you feel.

xLindsay46 03-30-2011 05:18 PM

Thanks for your response. I also have a couple more questions, but didn't want to start multiple threads at once, so I'll ask them here.

Anyone doing the Weight Watchers online plan? How exactly does it work? And is it worth it?

Also, I've seen a couple of you post about taking your multi-vitamins-- this may be a stupid question, but does that play a part in weight loss?

Fit4Lyfe 03-30-2011 05:37 PM

Hey...welcome!!! Okay, as far as CC'ing goes, I look at: calories, fat, carbs, protein, sugar and sodium because all of these things play a big part in how I personally feel. If you want more info on Calorie Counting, head over to the Calorie Counting forum, those ladies are helpful and awesome (and alot of them have lost weight and kept it off! Great motivation!)

As far as multi-vitamins go, I take one in the morning and it's primarily for iron, I'm extremely low on iron, and it makes me feel sluggish and tired, but my multi-vit helps...it doesn't do much for my weight loss, but that's just me

And for WW, IDK anything about that, but we have a whole WW forum you can pop into they are super helpful as well

HTH and hooray on joining us!!!

beerab 03-30-2011 06:21 PM

I look at it ALL.

Calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, and sodium.

I try to get 30% 35% 35% for carbs, fat, and protein. :) Fiber I try to get at least 25 grams a day, and sodium under 2300 mg a day.

Took me a long time to get it down but overall I get those numbers in :)

Multi-vitamins are definitely important while losing weight- my doctor said some people also lose vitamin levels while losing weight so you should take something daily while losing weight. And also the vitamins help your body out in case you aren't getting enough of something :) I noticed a HUGE difference in energy when I added a daily multivitamin.

Iconised Ghost 03-31-2011 03:32 AM

I ONLY look at calories specifically because otherwise i think my brain would explode. But if I come across a new food and I dont know how "good" it is, then I'll look at fat etc to see what it actually is

xLindsay46 03-31-2011 09:51 PM

How do I know what multi vitamins I should take? Is that something that my doctor would have to suggest? Or would any multi vitamin work?

milliej 03-31-2011 10:30 PM

Yeah you could ask your doctor. My doctor always asks me if I take one but not what type. I take a Multi plus energy. Which just a bost of B12.

If you have never taken a multi before I would make sure you take it with food, it can upset your tummy a little.

SMSDREAMER2007 03-31-2011 11:49 PM

Multi-vitamins in general typically have the same vitamins in them just in different amounts or one with have vitamin c with rose hips in it and one will have plain vitamin c. Personally I take a pre- natal, I also have PCOS though so I need all the help I cant get wiht my skin/hair/nails. My nails grow longer, my hair is growing faster and my skin has cleared a bit since taking it regularly. I also need folic acid which is provided in my pre-natal. My suggestion is go to the vitamin aisle and compare the one a days ot the centrum to the pre-natals and read the labels, each one has pro's and cons in the end it might just be best to try one out and see how it does for you, if it makes you sick or is hard to get used to, try a different one with different doses of vitamins.

LandonsBaby 04-01-2011 11:13 AM

I look at calories and carbs.

MusicalJess 04-01-2011 11:16 AM

I just look at calories. I know I should probably keep track of other things too but I simply can't keep track of everything all at once.

Lnm130 04-01-2011 11:42 AM

I use another website that tracks my calories, carbs, sodium, protien, and fiber.

milliej 04-01-2011 11:46 AM

I think if I tracked everything i would get fustrated. I look at lables but I don't track everything, just calories and fat. I mostly focus on calories in vs calries out.

bellastarr 04-01-2011 06:30 PM

i don't. i know i'm eating healthy and most of the food isn't very high in fat. don't be afraid of fat, we need it in our diets.