3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Cardio anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/226336-cardio-anyone.html)

HappyChick86 02-22-2011 03:17 PM

Cardio anyone?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of cardio they do, level and how long.

I have recently been doing the arc trainer for about 40 min as well as others but for a total of 60 min but i noticed i don't sweat as much. My PT told me he was going to start making me run (blah) well i started to run and I can almost run a whole mile without stopping and then i walk at about a 4.5 incline at 3.5 for an additional mile 1/2 or so which is about 30-40 minutes time total. During that time I have sweat dripping everywhere and my heart rate goes up to where it should be. What I am wondering is, If i am working at a higher level for a little bit less time, will it still be good enough for my workout?

Ashley829 02-22-2011 03:48 PM

I do all different types of cardio.

I will do the elliptical for usually 30-40 minutes with interval training, my running isn't up to par right now, but I can do 1 mile in 9 minutes and at this point I can run a good 2 miles. I was up to 3 miles in about 30 minutes, but then I did P90X and got out of running for 3 months. I really like to run/walk a total of 4 miles a day so I need to get back to that and work on upping it. I like to do zumba as well, I just got it on the wii and it's a good workout and fun. Then sometimes I pick a random cardio workout video from exercise tv! lol

Overall I try to do at least an hour of cardio total. From what I have been told you do 30 minutes to maintain and more time to lose, but I have NO clue if that is true or not. I do know I just like to get in a good hour to hour and half of a total workout, cardio and strength combined.

nixietink 02-22-2011 04:13 PM

I started the Couch to 5k program, so I'm running 4 days a week. The other days, I walk.

I also do the 30 day shred 6 days week right before walking or running. :)

djs06 02-22-2011 04:23 PM

Have you messed with the incline/resistance on the arc trainer? That evil machine makes me sweat like no other. And the resistance is unbelievable!

As for your question about working harder and for less time- that's what I try to abide by. I do 40 minutes 4-5 times a week. That's all I can commit to right now, and my attitude is that I can always bump it up but if I burn out in my first few months, that's going to be a problem. I am all about making the most of my time rather than doing something slightly less intense for longer, but I think you're going to find very varying opinions on that!

HappyChick86 02-23-2011 10:04 AM

Yes dj I have messed with the resistance. I think I am just bored of it which is why I am probably not sweating as much. When I first starting using it, I was sweating like crazy. I have been doing the stair climber lately, I love it and in 20 min I am sweating non stop. Def warms up my body.

bananapancakes 02-23-2011 11:20 AM

Good job on your run! It gets easier, I swear! :) When I first started I was lucky if I could run at 4.5 for a few minutes, no kidding. Right now I'm training for a half marathon so I'm running often, long run on a Monday- up to 10.5 miles now, during the week at this stage I'll do a six mile or so one per week then two shorter runs of four miles or if I'm feeling like it I'll just run longer, I also cross train two days per week for about 40 mins and if I'm feeling energetic I'll do maybe 15 minutes on the stair climber or whatever is free at the time....I just sort of go with how I'm feeling really.

Razorbackbritt 02-23-2011 11:50 AM

I do a Zumba class 3-4 times a week. It starts off fairly easy with a couple warmup songs, then gets intense for 30-40 minutes and then we slow back down to cool down.

I am always super sweaty when I'm done.