Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #1  

Default Fear of Shopping

So I've lost 32 pounds.. its been probably 6 months since I started this weight loss adventure.. and I have not really bought any new clothes. So its been really cold here.. I've been wearing my old clothes.. they are huge on me but for some reason I didnt go shopping.

I figured it out.. I was scared. Sure 32 pounds seems like a lot.. but when you go to that department store and make the connection with an actual size.. its a bit scary. I had no idea what size I would be.. I didnt want to know. So I kept wearing my big clothes and covering up my weight loss.

Well last night.. I conquered my fear. I finally went shopping. I decided to start small since this is not my ultimate weight. I tried on several pairs of jeans. I started out as a 14.... and I tried on the same jeans as I had before and fit into a 10. I was so shocked. So I decided to try another style (tighter fitting) and I was still a 10.

So I thought I'd share with you all.. my small success. I am still worried that 10 wont fit the next week.. but at least its some form of motivation. And it makes me feel so good about the hard work I have done in the past.

So although I do not think I am over my fear.. its a start.

Perhaps others of you have the same fears I do....

-Tanya
Old 11-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #2  

Congratulations! You're right you'll get over. Just keep up your good habits and don't get relaxed now that you lost weight.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:33 PM   #3  
hottie in training

i feel the same way.
i've been a 10 for a while now.
but sometimes (like saturday for example) i try on clothes in the junior section that are 11/12, and they are way too tight.
then i go to another section, and try on 10's, and they fit fine.
it really makes me mad that the clothing producers can't decide on a size & stick with it!

Jenn
Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #4  
Sarcasm Queen

Congrats Tanya!

I noticed that we have the same starting and goal weight. My name is also Tanya by the way, I just thought Sahvara was a cool ID name. I wear a size 14 and I would love to slip (note the word slip) into a size 10. I'm willing to work at with this site and do my darndest to get down to a size 8/9/10 depending on the style. I don't wanna be any smaller than an 8 but that range is cool.

You should go shopping whenever you feel like it. You deserve it! Six months of stark dilligence. You go girl! I hope to be like you someday.

~Sahvara
Old 11-04-2002, 09:23 PM   #5  

Precious One - Thanks I think fear of gaining it all back at least makes me be aware of what I am putting my mouth. Except that its an awful way to live when you are always paranoid about what you eat. I guess I can't win

Monique: Thanks! I am worried now that the next day they might not fit.. or that they are too tight looking (I always wore baggy clothes because I did not like my body). Its reassuring to know that others have the same fears shopping as I do.

Jenn: I really hate how clothing manufactures seem to have different ideas about sizes. Its frustrating!

Sahvara: Thanks! Tanya is a cool name huh? I think ultimately I would love to be an 8.. but I am just going to wait and see. You can reach your goal of a size 10!! If I can do it.. anyone can. Keep up the good work and hope to see you on the boards!

-Tanya
Old 12-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #6  

Congrats! I am so happy for you. I think we all fear things, I still fear that one cookie, wheither within my points or not will make me gain weight. What we know intellectually is not always what we fear. You have come a long way and even if you gain a pound or two you have to tools to be right back on track! Good for you, you deserve a great pat on the back.

Happy Holidays!
Smiles,
Sarah
Old 12-18-2002, 05:37 PM   #7  

Angry congrats...

That's so great about the shopping and the size 10 tonic....
i have lost about 20 or 25lbs or something..and i have not bought any new clothes...i am pretty afraid...i did however *slip* into a pair of pants haven't been able to put on for 3 years...so that is pretty exciting....i don't think i am ready for the shopping thing yet..i am going to just stick with some things that are alittle baggy :P

one_sweetchick
Old 12-18-2002, 06:39 PM   #8  

Thanks one sweet chick and Sparkles.
I actually am getting a bit more comfortable with my new size over time. I actually went shopping again and most pants are a size 8. Its almost a dream come true.
All I can say is,.. although I feared shopping.. now its sorta exciting as I come to terms with my new body and maintaining my weight and what it takes to do so.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

I can't wait for this to be me. i've lost a little more than 20 so far, but i haven't gone shopping yet. i can feel the difference a little bit, but i'd like to wait even longer... why buy clothes now that won't fit in a few months?? hee.

i think i'll go once my current clothes are falling off.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

I can't wait for this to be me. i've lost a little more than 20 so far, but i haven't gone shopping yet. i can feel the difference a little bit, but i'd like to wait even longer... why buy clothes now that won't fit in a few months?? hee.

i think i'll go once my current clothes are falling off.
Closed Thread