Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #16  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Has he tried wellbutrin (zyban) to quit? I know people who have had a lot of success with it, and one of wellbutrin's side effects is weightloss. It actually has helped me a great deal with binge eating and I've lost nearly 100 lbs since I started taking it. Obviously, the weight loss isn't all from Wellbutrin, but it's helped a lot. I sympathize - my husband is a smoker, too.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #17  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I smoked all through losing weight. My (stupid) rationale was that I NEEDED some sort of crutch. I couldn't wrap my head around giving up my two biggest vices, overeating and smoking.

I had to be comfortable with maintenance and losing to let go of the security blanket. The biggest motivators in quitting smoking was: my DH and the fact that I took up running. Suddenly, being able to run and climb mountains became more important than smoking. I just didn't like being a smoker anymore.

It's really a mental block that he hasn't found a way to get over yet. And frankly, I can't believe his doctor told him to start again!! Outrageous!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Eclipse...the doctor told him he shouldn't try the Zyban/Wellbutrin. He's already on Paxil for depression/anxiety, and would have to be weaned off of those before starting the Zyban and the Dr. said that was a process that would take a long time and maybe be pointless if the Zyban didn't work. That was actually why he went to the doctor....

Junebug...luckily he still hates the smoking. The doctor DID tell him to start exercising, though. Working on that one...

Last edited by MindiV; 10-15-2010 at 01:01 PM.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #19  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

~sigh~ I have been on my hubby's case to quit. It makes me so angry b/c he has quit over and over (for like a year at a time) and never has withdrawls. He stopped this weekend and actually had withdrawls earlier this week. I have no words of advise - just wanted to offer my sympathy. I DID get him to switch to "American Spirits" which are 100% tobacco. Obviously - still a cancer risk and all that, but I figure, at least they don't have floor cleaner and whatever else in them like other cigs.

And his Dr telling him smoking wasn't as bad as gaining all his weight back: When I was PG, I gained a bunch of weight one month. I explained to my Dr that it was all the donuts, mini PB cups and bagels that I had been eating. She told me that SMOKING would be LESS harmful that what I was doing. that smaked a bit of sense in me to eat better.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #20  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

As a smoker who has been losing weight for the past two months, let me just say, no one WANTS to smoke.

Just like no one WANTS To be overweight or overeat.

I know I have GOT TO quit smoking. And I'm going to, after I can get my weight under control. One thing at a time.

The thing that is REALLY helping to motivate me (because smoking too is ALL IN YOUR MIND, no amount of patches can overpower what is in your MIND) is the fact that my endurance is not where it could be if I didn't smoke. I feel gross and weezy after running sometimes instead of how I feel if I don't smoke for a few hours.

I don't know if he is a runner, but if so, maybe you could talk to him on that level.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #21  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I smoked all through losing weight. My (stupid) rationale was that I NEEDED some sort of crutch. I couldn't wrap my head around giving up my two biggest vices, overeating and smoking.

I had to be comfortable with maintenance and losing to let go of the security blanket. The biggest motivators in quitting smoking was: my DH and the fact that I took up running. Suddenly, being able to run and climb mountains became more important than smoking. I just didn't like being a smoker anymore.

It's really a mental block that he hasn't found a way to get over yet. And frankly, I can't believe his doctor told him to start again!! Outrageous!
Wish I would have saw this before I posted. This really made me smile. I'm hoping I can get to your level someday SOON! =) Thanks for posting!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

He's been talking about going to the track and walking/jogging and/or running the bleachers on Saturdays or Sundays, just hasn't actually done it yet.

I'm trying to be supportive, but at the same time let him make the decisions for himself. I don't want to be the one "at fault" for making him feel so bad, if that makes any sense. It's hard enough being the one he takes it out on when he has withdrawal symptoms - and believe me, when he has them it's BAD. Nearly left to spend the night at his sister's house last night his attitude was so bad.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #23  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Smile

I know what you're going through

First the bad news and you probably don't want to hear this - but your doctor is 100% right about the smoking verses weight gain. Dr. Mercola has something to say about this.
Ditto for the Zyban/Wellbutrin (my husband got suicidal on Zyban)

Smoking is better for your DH then gaining back his weight.

Now to the good news.

It is possible to quit smoking. I know because I used to smoke. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 30 years.

Every time your hubby quits the odds are greater that he will stay off them for good. He sounds like he has the desire to quit (unlike my DH) and that's half the battle.

I don't have a perfect marriage - but I do have a strong one - over 22 years.

What I do in my marriage is pay his life insurance premium without fail, and I don't allow my husband to smoke in the house or in my presence.
He knows how strongly I feel about this issue, and I have told him that if he smokes in the house or in my presence I'm moving out.
And I mean it.

For me, his smoking is about a lack of respect for my feelings and fears. He knows that I can't change him or what he does, but I'll be damned if he'll throw the smoking issue in my face! I also almost never kiss him - very sad

But the fact is, he has picked smoking over me and that was a hard thing for me to admit to myself.

Smoking is just like any other addiction (mine is food). It is possible to control addictions. And unlike a food addiction, a smoker NEVER has to smoke again - never. For us food addicts we walk the tiger at every meal.

Your husband can do it if he wants too bad enough. And you can find a way to live with him happily in spite of it.
Good luck.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #24  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizstyling View Post
Wish I would have saw this before I posted. This really made me smile. I'm hoping I can get to your level someday SOON! =) Thanks for posting!
Aww, thanks I'm not condoning smoking, but it really is hard when you're changing your lifestyle. It was just too much for me. Smoking is terrible and I knew that, but I had to go at my own pace. Some people just give it all up. I hung on for a little longer, but I had to mentally let go, first. You'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
He's been talking about going to the track and walking/jogging and/or running the bleachers on Saturdays or Sundays, just hasn't actually done it yet.

I'm trying to be supportive, but at the same time let him make the decisions for himself. I don't want to be the one "at fault" for making him feel so bad, if that makes any sense. It's hard enough being the one he takes it out on when he has withdrawal symptoms - and believe me, when he has them it's BAD. Nearly left to spend the night at his sister's house last night his attitude was so bad.
Well hopefully he will see that the running will be impacted by the smoking. He just has to make that connection that running feels better than smoking does. I think it's a step in the right direction!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

I have used the E-ciggarettes, they worked well for the quitiing smoking. It was the depression that made me cave again. I went to the doc and she gave me wellbutrin to help with the quitting and the depression that comes from loosing the smokes.

I have my e-ciggarettes all charged and ready to go. They are an expensive start up but worth it IMO, also the menthol works better for me, they seem stronger and make it feel like your smoking cause there is a flavor.
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote