Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #1  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Default Silly things about diets you have heard or seen

I was bored at work today, and I got to thinking about all the crazy things I've heard or seen people do to lose weight. I'm also guilty of some of these things! Hehe

I'm sure we've all been there before, tried something crazy, or seen someone do something that makes you think 'how does that make sense?' I have to laugh when I think about the weird ideas I used to have haha.

Here's some of mine:

-I saw a girl at my work eat a fully stacked sub while telling her friend her plan to lose weight, then said 'I can't have any carbs after 1 pm, so I have to eat them all now!' With a large coke too!

-Friends that have smoked before a work out thinking by tiring their lungs they will have a better work out overall.

-A girl that drank coffee and ate brocolli only, another who ate little cans of salmon all the time (she told me she makes up diets all the time and tries them, and doesn't understand why she's gained 20 lbs)

What have you seen?
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Everytime I hear someone saying they havent lost weight or have gained because they have gained muscle! No no no, if you are a woman it is unlikely you will gain significant amounts of muscle, to the point you see it on the scale, without losing a significant amount of fat, and its extremely unlikely you would lose fat at the exact rate needed to perfectly balance out your "muscle gain" Its sad, but true
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

WOW Stephanie...those are crazy. The sub lady? I don't think carbs can tell time! LOL

I have heard of those soup diets, all you eat is soup and you're supposed to lose like 14 pounds in a week or something.

I worked with a girl once that would barely eat and then take those appetite suppressors. I think she literally was eating like 800 calories a day if that. It was crazy. I guess that was her "diet." The thing was she was already thin to begin with!

I personally don't believe in restricting any one food group from your diet, I think that's a recipe for disaster! Everything in moderation, cut the calories and exercise.
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Yeeears ago my sister went on a "baby food diet." All she ate was baby food. I can't believe my mother allowed this.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
Everytime I hear someone saying they havent lost weight or have gained because they have gained muscle! No no no, if you are a woman it is unlikely you will gain significant amounts of muscle, to the point you see it on the scale, without losing a significant amount of fat, and its extremely unlikely you would lose fat at the exact rate needed to perfectly balance out your "muscle gain" Its sad, but true
This drives me nuts!! It's been a pet peeve of mine forever. Glad to know it bothers someone else too, LOL!

And it's especially annoying when people are like, oh I walk for 10 minutes a day, 2 days a week. I must be gaining muscle. UH, no. That's not how it works.

Last edited by tiffany0809; 10-14-2010 at 08:37 PM.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

When I worked at a coffee shop, I had a guy come in and dump about half a bottle of honey into his cup of coffee WHILE telling me all about how he was diabetic and couldn't have any sugar...
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Diet ads in Japan advertise "after" BMIs of 16. When is that EVER okay?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

In 2006 I spent about 2-3 months basically living on coffee, eggs on toast and cigarettes. It wasn't done as an intentional diet, and I did eat some other things some time (thing...duck curry and venison, I was living with my uncle who is a hunter), but I ended up losing something crazy like 40 pounds in those few short months. The funny thing is I didn't even realise I was losing weight until my clothes started falling off!

Of course I'd never do anything like that again intentionally, but I still have a little half-scared giggle when I remember what I used to survive on for those few months! I was not in a good place mentally at all.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I love the comment about carbs not being able to tell time! Haha

I can't believe that, 16 bmi? I would like to just be 25!

Thanks for contributing guys Sometimes I feel like the only sane person when I hear people talking about how they lose weight. I hate when women say that heavy weights make them 'bulky'. It's a pet peeve of mine, especially since I've seen how weight lifting has made me smaller.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post

-A girl that drank coffee and ate brocolli only, another who ate little cans of salmon all the time (she told me she makes up diets all the time and tries them, and doesn't understand why she's gained 20 lbs)
LMAO at that part.......................hahahhahah
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #11  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

This is a scary diet I've seen...

A girl I know only eats raw foods and even then small amounts. So breakfast is half an apple, lunch is a handful of carrots, some plain lettuce and maybe a cherry tomato or two, and dinner is the other half of the apple with some other side veggie. It is in no way healthy. She calls it her "vegan diet," so zero dairy products. She also cut out all carbs.

Sad thing is, her mother totally supports/enforces it. I once saw the girl (who's about 17) eating some potato chips (natural ones) and her mother jumped all over her. The girl said it was vegan, and her mom laughed at her and said it wasn't healthy. The mom then proceeded to take the chips from her daughter, and while eating them told the girl that she shouldn't be eating things like chips.

It horrified me. That poor girl. Her mom has her eating almost nothing and exercising a lot, and she does organized sports. The only regular foods they keep in the house are her mother's and can't be touched.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 10-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Raw food diets can be very diverse and nutritious, when done correctly. It sounds like the girl you know just isn't aware of how to live a balanced and healthy raw vegan lifestyle.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #13  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwildflower View Post
Raw food diets can be very diverse and nutritious, when done correctly. It sounds like the girl you know just isn't aware of how to live a balanced and healthy raw vegan lifestyle.
Sounds like the girl is getting some confusing messages regarding what she "can" and "cannot" eat and what is healthy
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #14  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

Silliest thing I've ever heard? "I'll start/start again tomorrow". How many times have people said this? They want to start a diet, so they pig out the day before...or they have one slip-up while already on a diet, and then decide to continue on like that for the rest of the day.

I'm as guilty of both of these as any. But really, how silly is it if you think about it? Ok, I screwed up so now I'm gonna continue sabotaging myself just for the **** of it... how does that make sense???

And yes, I get the psychology of it -I've done it so many times I can't even count. But I always wonder why. NOW is always the best time, right?

Last edited by singforthedayx; 10-15-2010 at 08:07 AM.
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

This lady I used to work with said she was going to get a lapband to lose weight. She had just missed the cut off for the minimum weight she needed to be to get the band, so she put on the ten lbs she needed. (She wasn't really that big) Anyway, after her surgery, a few months went by and we all started to notice that she wasn't losing any weight. Of course every office has that loud, just doesn't care what people think, and called her out on her lack of weight loss. As it turns out, she had her you know what made smaller! And the weight gain happened b/c she was nervous about getting THAT kind of surgery. Said she hoped her husband would "like" her more. I realize that this story is off topic, but it amazes me how some people are so funny!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote