Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #1  
Don't ever give up!

S/C/G: 307/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Question Hey guys im confused on something...

Okay, so according to the formula on About.com The amount of calories i can eat per day and MAINTAIN my weight is 2565.24. So obviously, I have to eat less than that to lose weight. But how many calories do I need to eat less per day to lose 1-2 lbs per week?

According to the Calorie Calculator on this SITE (im guessing this is what it means) I should start eating 1538 calories per day for a week and then every week eat 10 calories less per day to lose approx 2 lbs per week(50 lbs in 6 months.) (EXAMPLE: week 1 eat 1538 calories everyday: week 2 eat 1528 calories everyday: week 3 eat 1518 calories everyday... etc... eat 10 calories less per day every week.)

Are you confused yet?? lol I AM! Can someone please explain this to me? I mean is this right or am I misunderstanding the calculations?
lusciousskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/136/125

Height: 5'4''

You need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound. So, to lose 2 pounds a week, you need a deficit of 7,000 calories. You can do this through diet or exercise or, ideally, both.

So using the number you found, you need to eat 2565 calories a day to stay at your current weight. That's 17,955 calories a week to maintain your weight. A deficit of 7,000 will then take you to 10,955 calories a week, or 1565 calories a day (just to show you how they got the numbers you found).

I personally wouldn't stress too much about dropping your calorie intake by 10 calories a day or whatever that plan is. That is a truly minuscule amount - you can burn that many by doing jumping jacks for a minute. Rather, why not try eating 1565 calories a day and seeing how your weight loss goes? If, after you've lost a significant amount of weight, you're no longer losing at that calorie level, you can adjust downward. Just my two cents! Good luck!
zestfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #3  
Don't ever give up!

Okay so then I am understanding it right! woohoooo!!!!! lol thanks so much! The way you explained it help me understand it alot better. YOU ROCK!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with ErinZest. Check out dailyplate to track your calories, weight (will adjust your daily calorie target as you lose), exercise, and more. I wouldn't worry about dropping that 10 calories a day, just put activity level as "sedentary" when calculating your goal and it will give you the low ball amount. At your weight and height, the weight should come off really quickly if you stay on plan. (At 206, I was losing half a pound a day. Now I don't lose a lot).
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #5  
Don't ever give up!

thanks! that site is awesome i hope i can average .5 lbs per day
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #6  

Height: 5'0"

I just saw the Dr. yesterday and she told me good advice when trying to lose weight is to track what you eat for 3 days NOT on a diet, just a typical day. Then calculate the calories and cut it by 1,000 to lose about 2 lbs a week.
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote