Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default IUD Isuues (Kinda TMI)

Hey ladies,
I'm not usually so good at asking the TMI stuff but this has been bothering me. I can't take regular hormonal BC pills because after 10 years on them, they spiked my liver levels to dangerous heights so I had to stop. That was about a year ago and my Gyno suggested an IUD. I can't have Mirena because of the hormones in it so I had a copper IUD called ParaGuard put in. It was **** to get in. It hurt like someone was stabbing me with an ice-pick. It didn't go in right, and it had to come out a week later.

My question: I had bleeding when it went in and bleeding when it came out. It's supposed to go back in August but I don't know if it's worth it. Any of you ladies have an IUD and want to share experiences? I don't know if I want to go through this again but it's really my only BC option. Is it worth it?
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #2  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

I have paraguard because I cannot take hormones at all. I got it after my first baby and loved it...it served its purpose...had it taken out got pregnant right away and just got it put back in a couple days ago after having my second baby. I never had heavy periods anyway so a little more bleeding is worth not getting pregnant in my opinion. So I think it is definitely worth it!
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3  
Don't Stop Believin'

S/C/G: 190.4/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I usually post in the 30 somethings but saw this and decided to join. I, too, have an IUD (Mirena) after deciding that more children are not in my future. It was painful going in but only that first day and I have a high tolerance for pain - took the afternoon off of work. The initial bleeding lasted about 20 days or so and then has gradually gotten lighter - it will be 2 years in November since insertion. I still have PMS but it's much milder and I know when a period should be occuring even though they are practically non-existent now. This is the best part of it. The worst thing about it for me is the acne. I never experienced acne until I got pregnant with my first son in my early twenties and even then it wasn't like this. I was going to have it removed because it bothered me so much but my OB put me on a diuretic to address this and it seems to help. The savings alone from not having to get a monthly prescriptions or feminine hygiene products have made it worth it for me. While I have no experience with the paraguard the peace of mind with an IUD is WONDERFUL!!!
jhawk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #4  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I had cramping (severe) for 3 months straight. I had an ultrasound because I was sure it perforated my uterus, but it was right where it was supposed to be. I read other women had this problem and it went away, so I stuck with it. Finally, I felt normal after several months. TOM was super heavy for the first 6 months with it (like scared to leave the house for even 30 minutes heavy), and then it went back to normal after at least 6 months.

It sounds awful, but I can't tolerate hormones, and we weren't sure if we wanted a 3rd baby or not, but definitely weren't ready for another right then. I got mine removed after my dh had a vasectomy. So anyway, if you're prepared for something like that to happen to you and stick it out, I think it was the best birth control method I ever used (after the adjustment period). I had one for about 2.5 yrs
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Thanks guys, this is good info! I have never had kids so they said it might be one of the issues why the insertion was so tough. They have to dilate me to get it in and it made it super painful but it sounds worth it. I'll give it another go!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I had a really good experience with a copper IUD. But if you're worried there is another option. If you have regular periods you can start tracking your ovulation. There are really only about 7 days out of the month that you can get pregnant. I learned this when I was trying to get pregnant (I too am a 30 something, but was interested in the topic). Now I use nothing because I wasn't aware of the risks of having an IUD and having mine put in wasn't a pleasant experience. I read a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility and there is a website with forums on it as well. The book is mostly for getting pregnant but there is a section on not getting pregnant. Check it out.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #7  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I HATED my IUD. I did not have the copper IUD, I had Mirena inserted after my first son was born. I always felt that I could actually "feel" it in my uterus (although this could have been mental, since I knew it was in there I could "feel" it kind of thing, make sense?) Anyways, after having it in for about 6 weeks, my husband and I were "having a moment" and the IUD just came out! It was soooo insane!! I went to the OB to have it reinserted, but it was just to painful the second time around, so I said forget it.

It sounds like you have a lot of trouble with many forms of BP. I also took the Depo shot, but I gained 70lbs while on it and just all around felt crappy. Have you tried just using a diaphram? They also make a contraceptive call
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #8  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I have one in, the ParaGuard. Breast cancer runs in my family, like a straight line through the women and I'm next like for suuure, so I avoid hormones like the plague.

I won't lie, it hurt like b*&$%. I'm not a wussy about pain either. It started off feeling like period cramps that got worse and worse and worse until I couldn't help but say "ow, ow, ow" and then it was over. The severe pain lasted maybe 2-3 seconds tops. I would do it again because of how brief it was. BUT, they recommend you take an 800 mg motrin beforehand and I didn't have any, so I took it like a champ.

The rest of the day I had pretty bad cramping. I don't usually get cramps so it wasn't my norm, but it wasn't anything horrible. I watched TV all day and popped motins like House. The next day I was fine.

As of now, I get heavier periods, and some light cramping the first day of my period. Overall I really like it. I don't have to do anything except check to make sure it's there. I'd recommend.

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 07-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I have the Paraguard because my body is very sensitive to extra hormones. I have had it for 2 years as of this past May after I had an unexpected pregnancy which threw me for a loop and just when I became excited I miscarried.

Anyways, it was a tad uncomfortable being put it but not unbearable. I think it would have been easier if I had taken Ibuprofen an hour before.

I have always had heavy periods and they are a bit heavier now but not terribly. The one thing I do have now is cramping...sometimes I will cramp so bad it stops me from speaking....not always a bad thing lol

I rarely had cramping or any warning that my period was going to start before the IUD but now I have a couple of days warning due to the cramping. I find that Midol helps a lot and I really love my IUD.

I worked myself up before the insertion because I thought it was going to be much more painful than it was and I am sure I will do the same when it is time to take it out but that is just me.

I love the fact that I don't have to worry about BC and I would recommend it to anyone especially if they are sensitve to extra hormones.

Some people say you gain weight from the IUD but the only thing I noticed was I did get some stomach bloating for a couple of months until my body became used to it.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote