Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Saying No to the Boss

So, I'm kind of stuck. My boss has the bad habit of ordering food for the entire office pretty frequently. The problem is, she really won't take no for an answer. A couple of weeks ago she was ordering Domino's and asked me what I wanted. I showed her the (much healthier) lunch I had brought from home and politely declined...so naturally, she took that as her cue to try to persuade me to eat pizza instead. Ultimately, when she realized I wasn't going to say yes, she said, "fine, I'm going to order you one anyway." Sure enough, 45 minutes later there was a piping hot pizza sitting right next to me on my desk.

What's the best way to navigate this situation? I don't really want to tell her I'm trying to watch what I eat-- she's both overweight and VERY short-tempered, and I'm worried she would somehow get offended and angry--but I also don't want to ingest a million extra calories just because I don't know how to get her to back off. Any ideas?
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

After you've told your boss that you're already set for lunch, can you take your meal and leave your desk before the food arrives, enjoy your lunch offsite, then come back to the cold pizza or whatever? Are there any physical facility folks working/cleaning who would enjoy that food or who could take it home to their family?

Don't be afraid to say that you're working to improve your health and making choices that support that. Sometimes we just have to say, "No can do!" and back it up by our actions. Long explanations not needed You can't control how she reacts, obviously, but you do control what you eat. Good job to not let this continue!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

My boss is also a food pusher, and there have been situations where she's ordered pizza for everyone and I'll sit in the conference room and eat what I've brought for myself.

I understand why it would be hard to say "no, I'm trying to eat healthy," especially to someone superior who you've said is overweight/short tempered.

You could lie and just say you're lactose intolerant, or something to that effect. People seem to respond better when they think its a medical issue.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

I would tell her that you're eating what you're eating based on doctors orders. If she pushes to find out why, say something about how you don't feel comfortable talking about the details and throw the term "HIPPA-violation" in and I bet she'll leave you alone.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #5  

There's always a chance she realizes what you're trying to do and, out of jealousy, is trying to sabotage you as a higher up. I like the suggestion to say it's doctor's orders because legally she shouldn't be able to do anything else.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

A HIPPA violation is when your doctor or medical practice violates your rights as a patient (for example, when a doctor or nurse discloses medical information about you to someone in your family or someone unrelated without your written consent). That said, it is still illegal for an employer to require that you disclose private medical information, but that pertains to Americans with Disabilities Act. I just want to make sure you don't say something off and end up irritating your boss.

I think it is perfectly fine to say that you're eating your own lunch for health-related reasons. I also agree that it is good to eat your lunch out of the office. You could also accept her offer of food and then "save it for later" and throw it away when you leave work.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/176/150

Height: 5'7"

Tell her you've got (some ridiculously complex health issue/disease) and if you eat fatty foods, you'll just die. And it will raise your insurance rates.
That should do it.
fresno26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

It is hard- but just keep re-affirming to her you can't eat that stuff and if you have to- toss it.

I agree to try to give it away- that's what I do with stuff I don't want I work with a lot of guys who are always willing to take food off my hands Those skinny punks!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Consistency is key, i think. If every time she pushes food on you, you say "no thanks!" and eat what you've brought...hopefully, one day, she realizes she is just wasting money. If she doesn't, I think if you take her aside and just say "i don't really want to get into it, but I have a lot of reasons why I need to eat the food I'm bringing and they aren't all just for weight loss. I would be really grateful if you stopped buying me food, as grateful as I am for the gesture" should settle it
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #10  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

All of the responses about medical issues made me laugh

Thanks for all the feedback! Unfortunately, I can't go eat elsewhere (my boss is a grinch and doesn't give lunch breaks, so I eat at my desk) but I CAN probably pawn the food off on other people--there's plenty of police officers and construction workers nearby.

Hopefully a combination of me not eating the food and her thinking I'll drop dead the moment I touch cheese will help put an end to this, hahaha.
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #11  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinwaterglobe View Post
A HIPPA violation is when your doctor or medical practice violates your rights as a patient (for example, when a doctor or nurse discloses medical information about you to someone in your family or someone unrelated without your written consent). That said, it is still illegal for an employer to require that you disclose private medical information, but that pertains to Americans with Disabilities Act. I just want to make sure you don't say something off and end up irritating your boss.
You're right, but HIPAA violation sounds so ominous :lol. In any case, publicly questioning an employee about their health is a big no-no.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #12  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

We have a really cool delivery service around here that makes delicious gourmet salads and delivers! Great options, orders can be made online. Maybe you can suggest some alternative takeout places??

Otherwise, there's also that sporadic lactose intolerance you have that gives you explosive... you know
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I will admit my first thought was to tell her you have a medically restricted diet as well. And I would make it broad and vague so you can turn down all types of food, sweets, pizza, doughnuts, Anything! lol
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaygroundLove View Post
All of the responses about medical issues made me laugh

Thanks for all the feedback! Unfortunately, I can't go eat elsewhere (my boss is a grinch and doesn't give lunch breaks, so I eat at my desk) but I CAN probably pawn the food off on other people--there's plenty of police officers and construction workers nearby.

Hopefully a combination of me not eating the food and her thinking I'll drop dead the moment I touch cheese will help put an end to this, hahaha.
You don't get a break????? How CRAZY and um..against labour standards! I thought working in daycare/preschool was bad..we only get 30 min lunch break and no 15 min breaks.

I find that some people who are overweight will try to push eating on to others just so that they don't feel as guilty themselves for their own poor eating habits.

I am with Duckyyellowfeet! Totally agree with her!

Or.....you could say that eating greasy food is making you extremely gassy :P and your doctor said the best thing to do is stay clear of it! bahahahaha
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #15  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

All I can say is, she bought you a whole pizza?? WTF haha
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote