Do you gain weight when...

• ...You're on your period? This seems like such a silly question, but I figured with the bloating and stuff...

Well, anyway, I'm getting close to having my period (I can feel the cramps and bloating) and I noticed that my weight rocketed up 4 pounds! I'm really hoping that it's just because of the on-coming period and not me messing something up with my diet and exercise.
  • Yep, it's your period. The day or two before my period and the first 2 days of it I'm always up at least 3 pounds. It's just water weight, you'll bleed it out in a couple of days lol.
  • Yep, completely normal. For me, it's about 2 pounds. I also go up when I ovulate.
  • yep, I've just gained about 2lbs lol D: it's so annoying!
  • Yup. I always go up at least a couple of pounds right before my period. And about a pound or two in the day or two before I ovulate. I always lose it (and usually a little more) in a big woosh right after tho.
  • i gain about 5 pounds then lose it 4 or 5 days later, i know mines coming soon too
  • Oh God yes. I'm taking fertility meds right now and it's even WORSE! I've noticed that drinking stuff with electrolytes (diluted Gatorade, for example) really helps with the bloating.
  • Yep. I've learned not to sweat it. All fluid.
  • Yes, a few pounds extra just before and during the first day or two, then I usually pee like crazy and even end up wish a wooosh drop in my weight in the end or shortly after, many times it sends me to a lower weight point. (thats what I am hoping for right about now lol!) Dont fret!
  • Whew, that's good to know! I was kind of freaking out there. xD I mean, worked so hard to get out of the 200s and suddenly I'm back in them so randomly! Well, I can't wait to get past it again and have my weight go back down.
  • Actually there is good news! Periods may result in weight on the scale but may actually help you create a higher calorie deficit. You actually burn some extra calories (according to one of my bio professors-who knows what he was basing that on though) in the 7 to 10 days before your period and burn a little extra afterward because your body has to use energy to replace the blood you lost (this much I beleive for sure). This is no reason to have tons of extra food, but it makes me feel a little better about the cramps and the grumpies.
  • This hadn't occured to me but I am so glad I saw this. Day 2 of period and up a pound, and I really like this explanation for the pound being there!