Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #16  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

I also have a wrist tattoo (my only tattoo), but its something that I thought about for years and share the same tatoo with my sisters. I didn't know wrist tattoos were a fad either...

I dont regret mine, I actually forget I have it most times. Mine is on the inside of my inner wrist, which i think if you are going to get it there that is the place to get it. They are super easy to cover if needed with cute braclets and bangles as well if you have an event.

I say if its really meaningful and you would still want to see it on you when your 75 go right ahead and do it.

Also it wasn't too painful, just a feeling like your being stung by a bee with a little electricity going through it, (OK that might sound painful to some people :P )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1229080954.jpg (22.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Essa415; 07-06-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #17  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I do that! If I have an event to go to where I think people might discriminate against me because of my tattoos, I just wear bangles.

My MIL (ugh) was horrified that I didn't want them to cover them up for my wedding.

Hahaa.

Last edited by kateleestar; 06-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #18  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I have many, many tattoos and generally have to cover them up for work. I'm a pediatric clinical pharmacist and it can make parents uncomfortable (but kids usually love them since they're bright and colorful).

The ones on my arms/wrists get covered by my white coat and I have a massive collection of fun bracelets.

The wrist didn't really seem any worse than getting a tattoo anywhere else for me. However, I bleed a lot from tattoos and that one was the worst. You're also moving that area constantly, therefore scabbing can be an issue and you have to be careful about not pulling the ink out.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #19  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I think as far as the pain thing is concerned.. it varies from person to person. The one one my right wrist was slightly uncomfortable. My left I barely felt. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that I'm right handed or not.

I have heard some people that it didn't bother and others that said it was very painful.

The funny thing about tattoos is depending on where you get it, it may be the worst at the time, but then you'll get another and it blows it out of the water.

I have one on each wrist, on top of my foot, lower back, just below my neck, left shoulder, one on my chest over my heart and one across my chest (as you can see in my pic)... that one was DEF the worst by far. There is nothing quite like getting tatted over your sternum!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #20  
Getting healthy!

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many responses. Thanks for your input, guys.

I'm not too worried about it being a fad, or it being out of style or anything, but I don't really follow any trends (I'm sure I break them, all the time). I'm more of a tom-boyish girl, that does whatever makes me happy. And I liked the idea of having a wrist tattoo, as a constant reminder to myself. I actually didn't know it was a popular thing right now.

However, I do agree with most of you in that I should probably think on it for a long time, just to make extra sure. I think I'll think about it for at least half a year, to a year. I was kind of getting ready to jump the gun and just go get it, but I think it's a great idea to stop and think about it for a while .(seeing as I've only had this idea for a tattoo in my head for a couple of weeks now.)

On a side note; I'm not actually a doctor or anything. Paramedic was something of a nickname I got due to my caring nature. It was once my dream to be one, but I can't stand the sight of blood. Haha, sorry about the confusion.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #21  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Since when are wrist tattoos are a fad? I thought the last tattoo fad was the 'tramp stamp' haha.

I have 6 tattoos, I love them all. I work in a job that could care less if I get tattooed, but one day I might not be in a job like this. I got two lotuses tattooed on my forearms as a treat to myself for all the changes I made in my life. I like that it's on my forearms as if it needed to be covered, I could do so with three quarter sleeved shirts.

I would wait to get it until you are absolutely sure! And you may want to reconsider the placement as well. It took me many years to get the courage to just tattoo my forearms, haha. I also have the back of my legs tattooed, my ankle and the back of my neck. I plan on getting leg sleeves one day because it's not a very visible area.

I'll tell you one thing, that is one of the easiest areas to get tattooed, It feels so soft and gentle. At least that's what I thought Anything over bone seems to rattle me.

And one day, I plan on getting a tattoo on my lower back. I actually drew the picture for it over 6 years ago, and I'm not doing it because of some fad, but it's part of my future plan for how I want my body to look
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #22  

I think it looks neat! I love that spot for a tattoo -- though I do not have one myself. I've gone the piercings route so far because I am a very fickle person. But I have 9 piercings and have not taken a single one out so far...

Anyway, I think you should draw it on your wrist every day for a month and see how you start to feel about it as time wears on. If you have a bit of hesitation, try a new design or a new location and repeat the process. Good luck!
Lilstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
Honestly I can't understand why anyone would want to put markings on their body. Why be a walking billboard.
Oh wow...blast from the past!!! I didn't know anybody actually had that impression about tattoos anymore. I thought that went out in the 90s. Seriously, tattoos are widely accepted now. I work for the Sheriff's Department and there is NO policy against visible tattoos (however there is one against visible body piercings INCLUDING wearing clear retainers).

And, I should add, our sheriff is in his 70s!!!

Last edited by Natasha1534; 06-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #24  
Happy in LA!

S/C/G: 244/224/170

Height: 5'7

Paramedic tattoos can be beautiful and very meaningful things. If it's something you can see yourself having be a part of your body for the rest of your life, literally, looking down at it when you're 85 saying "that's pretty cool" I say go for it! Just make sure you maintain it and get it touched up every 5-6 years. Good luck! Hope you get a design you can live with forever (or easily cover with something even awesomer)

calisa86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

All I have to say is make sure it means something! I got 3 tattoos 16 years ago at the age of 16! I had just gotten a fake id and the first thing I wanted was tattoos. I picked my first one off of a wall and it is on the back of my calf, big black and red! It means nothing to me and I want it gone! It's not feminine looking by any means, which was cool back in the day because I was a hard core trench coat mafia wanna be drug addict. Or something like that. I was lost to say the least!

As for the pain, I've had one laser treatment so far on this tat to remove it. And the technician scared the crap out of me!!! I seriously thought I would not be able to tolerate the treatment just by how she described it and told me of other horror stories. I endured it no problem, yes it hurt like ****, yes it felt like my skin was smoldering off, but she didn't have to stop, not once. So don't let the fear of sensitivity scare you out of it.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #26  
Getting healthy!

Thanks for the continued input.

@Natasha

No offense to the poster, but I thought said post was a little silly as well... I can understand disliking tattoos that are completely meaningless to the person who gets them, but most people these days take time to think about what they want permanently put on their body (usually, anyway).

Anyway, I've also considered making the tattoo a fair amount smaller, as well. The original design wasn't too big to begin with, but it was still fairly noticeable. Maybe something around this size would be more suitable? I could still see it whenever I wanted and it would still be a reminder to myself, but it's not too noticeable. I don't know, I'm still pretty torn. That means more thinking time!

Last edited by Paramedic; 07-01-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #27  
is super awesome.

Here's my wrist tattoo. It's just a bit smaller than a dime. I've had them for 6.. or so years. I got one on each wrist. I lovelovelove them.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #28  

Hate mine 16 years later. Big mistake!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #29  
is super awesome.

I've had my oldest one for 11 and I don't regret it at all. In fact, I don't regret any of them. Nor do I regret my 21 piercings. That does seem like a lot, but it's normal looking, I tell you!

Every single one of my tattoos mean something. The song lyric about forgetting pain after my mother's family abandoned my dad and I after she died. The cross for everyone having their own cross to bear, no matter what it is. The little hawaii that I got on Oahu on my honeymoon. The little star on my ankle with the halo above it, with my mom's birth date and death date. I have 8 total. All of them are near and dear to me, and they were all planned out, and I've never had a second thought about any of them. <3.

They make me happy every time I look at them. Sigh. Now I'm all warm and fuzzy!!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #30  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
Honestly I can't understand why anyone would want to put markings on their body. Why be a walking billboard.
I LOVE my tattoos. The one on my wrist, an equal sign, is essentially supposed to be a billboard (stands for equality, obviously). It means a lot to me (my best friend and my cousin are gay, and equal rights for them and the rest of the LGBT community are extremely important to me), and I want people to see it.

IMG_3475.JPG

Paramedic, Sorry in advance for this LONG response, but body art and tattoo discrimination are something I care a lot about.

I think you are very wise to give yourself time to think about it, but once you decide it's what YOU want, I wouldn't worry about the pain. Mine didn't hurt much more than my ankle one, and tattoo pain is a very different type of pain. You're watching art be put on your body, so any pain you might feel is overshadowed by the excitement. (Obviously there are places on your body where they undeniably HURT, but I don't know of anyone for whom the pain wasn't worth it).

As for the future, wrist tattoos are actually a lot less conspicuous than you might think, especially if you get it on the opposite wrist from the hand you write with. A watch, bracelet or some concealer could easily hide yours. I genuinely doubt I will ever want to hide mine because of my attachment to its meaning, but if I did want to, I could easily.

Fun fact about tattoo regret from a recent Harris poll: only 17% of tattooed people regret their tattoos. 63% of those people regret them because of some reason that could have been prevented (the artist did a bad job, they were drunk and got something they didn't want, they got someone's name, it got infected, it was a rash decision).

So essentially 6/100 people who think about their designs in advance (to avoid changing your mind later and avoid getting a design you don't really want), get it done by a quality artist (to prevent unclear lines, bad coloring, etc.) and take proper care after (to prevent infection, scarring, fading) will end up regretting their tattoos. And on top of all of that, more Republicans and/or southerners regret their tattoos than Democrats and/or northerners.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote