Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Body Fat Percentage Question

HI everyone!

Ok sooooo I have been going to a nutritionist to help keep me on track and to keep track of my measurements and weight. He has one of those $3,000 scales that tell you your body fat percentage, and how much weight is fat, muscle and bone. Its really interesting!

Anyways, I had done a program with him that was a "no sugar" based diet and lost a lot of weight fast and inches as well! Well I got off the program and have been dreading to go back and see him and see the inches back up and my weight as well.

My weight went up 5 pounds (not too bad, was expecting to have gained it all back considering the way I eat). My measurements went up a little but nothing too shocking. But ironically my body fat percentage went from 26% to 25.5%. It went down! How is this possible? How have I gained fat and inches but my body fat percentage went down?? I have been exercising 30 min of cardio about 5 days a week ever since I got off the program and started eating bad again. Even if that is what has contributed to my BF% going down, how is it possible my measurements have gone up at the same time? Someone please explain this mystery to me
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Well, for one thing I'm not sure how accurate the scale is, even if it is a $3000 one. I mean, we are talking about a difference of 0.5% here, is that significant or just measurement error?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #3  
Four Leaf Clover

S/C/G: 224/210.5/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

If you are working out and gaining muscle, you could also be retaining more water than before. If you're not losing fat, but you have gained both muscle and water, your measurements would have gone up. They both take up space and increase weight. More mass with the same amount of fat is a lower percentage of fat and a higher weight.
fourleaf is offline   Reply With Quote