Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #1  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

Unhappy Frustrated. Advice on Nutritionist?

I've been VERY motivated this time around with my weight loss. But here's the thing, I'm not losing weight! WTH?! I do cardio and weight training at least 4 or 5 times a week and am very aware of eating healthy foods in smaller portions. I've also stopped BC because it was an issue with my weight in the past. Before I started working out I ate what I wanted and spent most of my days in front of the TV, so I've made a decent change in my lifestyle. Where are my results after almost 8 weeks? My positive attitude is starting to dwindle.

Does anyone have experience or advice on nutritionist?

If you've had one, would you know if most insurances will cover it if your primary doctor recommends one ?

Help would be lovely ladies. - Skye
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

Skye, it sounds like you're doing it all right! The best way possible. Do you count the calories of the food you're eating?

I'm not a nutritionist but I would think the problem is, you're eating more than you think or you're not eating enough.

I would definitely say with as much and as long as you've been working out, you must have put on some muscle mass. It is probably canceling out, on the scale, the fat mass that you are losing.

But it's critical for your long term success that you build that muscle mass. I'm your same height, and my current weight is a little below your goal weight, and you know what? I still have an overweight body fat percentage! It's because I have so little muscle mass, that I need to GAIN 8 lbs of muscle mass to have a healthy body composition.

I wish I had been strong enough to do what you're doing, you're doing so well, you probably just need to make sure you're eating in the correct range.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #3  
Find Joy in the Journey

Chickpea, may I ask how you lost your weight?

Also, I use DailyBurn.com to keep track of my calories and I average 1500 a day. I read somewhere that I should be eating 1200 to maintain my current weight and cut that by 500 to lose weight. But wouldn't that mean I'd be eating next to nothing? I already eat so little.

I know I've gained muscle mass too, which I am very happy about, but if I'm not losing pounds shouldn't I recognize a change in the way my clothes fit? Unfortunately I don't. I feel like such a Debbie Downer today

Last edited by eyks; 06-04-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

I don't mind sharing. I do a meal replacement plan, Medifast. It's low calorie and lower carb. On average I eat between 800-1000 calories a day. Exercise is encouraged on the plan, but in a limited capacity because of the restricted calorie level.

I'm so glad I did it because for me, it was the right choice at the right time. I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, slowly bringing back normal foods into my life and learning how to eat healthily.

I think the most important thing I've learned is that "what" I eat is directly related to "how much" I eat. Lean protein and healthy carbs from veggies. I hardly ate that before my program. Now I eat them every day and I know I have to eat them every day in order to maintain my weight.

The girls that count calories here will be more helpful with resources about where you should have you calories in order to lose weight while working out. Good luck, you have so many of the puzzle pieces in place, you just need to figure out how to place this last one.

Last edited by chickapea; 06-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/168/120

Height: 5'5

http://caloriecount.about.com/

This website helps me a lot because it also has a food browser. When you click on the food tab and click on food browser it list all types of foods even from restaurants and fast food places. It also is a great site for everything.

For example at the end of the day when you click on the finished meals for the day on your calorie counter, it will show you what vitamins or whatever else you are lacking in order to lose the weight. It has everything...just check it out.
Kruez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181.6/179.6/140

Height: 5'5"

I would recommend visiting your doctor - you can talk to him/her about what a healthy weight is for you and how to get there. And, you can find out if there is something medically wrong that's getting in the way of losing weight.

I saw a nutritionist a long time ago and it was awesome but expensive. I believe insurance only covers if you need to go for a medical reason like diabetes.
KateMG83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #7  
Find Joy in the Journey

Thanks for the advice so far ladies!

So, I found out that since my hubby is military I should be able to see a nutritionist for free! YAY!

Also, I've decided to kick up my workouts. On Spin days I'll head over to the treadmill and do my sprints/walking too. I'm just praying I don't burn myself out. Doctors appt will be my next move.

For those that have seen a nutritionist, what will they do with me besides creating an eating plan? What should I expect?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Hey Skye. My hubs is also military. I went to see the nutritionist on post and they were very nice and didn't really give me a plan, but educated me on what would be better for me because of PCOS. They took a very big interest in what I was eating before so I would bring the food journal with as well. Also do you have a wellness center where you are at? They have the smoking cessation classes and all that. They may also have someone who will give you a personalized workout based on your goals. It is kind of like a personal trainer except they aren't with you all the time and they use fitlinxx at their gym. The person will take you through the stations of weights and set up the stations to your height, leg length, arm length, all that and the computer also helps to show you how far to extend and remembers your weight level. At the end of the workout it will tell you how many pounds lifted. I like it a lot. I also know that if you are at an army post the personal trainers should be free. If an AF wife you should have access to the health and wellness center at the gym as well. They can test your metabolic rate and body mass. All that fun stuff.

Sorry to ramble.
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #9  
Find Joy in the Journey

Thanks a bunch Lackie. That's some good info. The hubby is Navy. But I think we have a wellness center on base. I'll have to ask the gym about that. I know the AF base has a nutritionist/wellness center for sure, so I should be covered.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

You're Welcome!
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Keep in mind that being shorter and going for a lower weigh you won't need as many calories as someone taller than you! You will be eating a low number of calories, and it may not seem like a lot of food - but it's what your body needs to fuel itself, and nothing excess you know?
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote