Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #1  
GO CANES!

Talking November Challenge maybe?

Hello! Do you guys remember me? I used to post a little a while ago, then had gone "low carb" , then kind of stopped......being that i'm trying to get serious about this all again, yet october is over, are you all thinkikng of starting a November challenge?
Old 10-25-2002, 06:13 AM   #2  

I would definitely be up to a November challenge!! Let's start it!!!!

Margie
Old 10-25-2002, 02:42 PM   #3  

Hi guys! I'm posting here a little early since I'm starting this new routine (8 minutes in the morning) on Monday.

I hate to give myself weight goals - it can backfire so easily. But… I REALLY want to weight 139 by Thanksgiving. I will be seeing my parents (haven't seen them since last Thanksgiving) and really want to wow them.

I want to wow myself as well. I have been very busy and used many reasons/excuses for not dropping more weight yet. But I know the truth - if I want it bad enough, I can do it.

I also plan to stop worrying about losing weight from Thanksgiving until 2003 - it's just too hard to lose weight during the holidays. I plan to concentrate on maintaining. So, I would like to get the biggest bang for my buck until then, and have my weight under 140.

So, that's kinda my November goal. But as we know, I can't just wish it to be true. So, these goals are to ensure I get there:

1) Follow the 8 minutes in the morning (6x a week)

2) Walk 30-60 minutes a day, 5x a week.

3) Take my vitamin every day.

4) Dink 8+ glasses (16oz.) water during the day, and at least 2 glasses at night. - I usually drink about 8 bottles of water at work. But the weekends are always tough, and I think making myself drink 2 glasses a night will help with the evening munchies.

5) Move! Wiggle in my seat at work, tap my (non-accelerator) foot to the music in the car. I can't think of a specific goal for this, just be more aware of my body and what I am doing to help lose weight.

6) Follow my eating plan with only one meal off a week.

Note: You can eat just about anything using a diet exchange. Example - 2 slices of cheese pizza from Domino's break down into 3 carbs, 1 protein, and 1 fat. (I can have 5 carb, 5 protein, and 3 fat on my 1400 calorie days).

When I started this, I tried very hard to fit pizza, take out, etc. into my daily exchange allowance. But lately that is not the case. I order things with out even thinking about what their exchange value might be. And that's stupid because I really can eat whatever I want with a little planning and portion control.

So, when I say, "Follow my eating plan with only one meal off a week." I am still going to have pizza, and my precious Thursday Boston Market. But I will have only 2 slices of pizza, and order veggie sides with no dessert. Then that one meal off can be something really special.

I'm psyched just re-reading this! November, here I come!
Old 10-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #4  

Can't wait for giving 100% to weight loss in November! I did really well in October, unfortunatly I got a nasty cough this week, so I took the week off from working out. Hopefully sunday will be a good day to start up again.

In october I kept with my 5 a week workouts, drank a lot of water, and did pretty well on meeting calorie levels and calcium, fruit and vegetable levels. I checked the scale, which I hadn't done since august, and it turned out I had lost 3 pounds! So that was encouraging, and once this cough is over I can't wait to do the same thing.

For November, I will continue the workouts, the water, the healthy diet, and try to deal with stress or boredom in other ways than eating. As long as my hands are busy (like writing in a journal, posting here, or whatever) I think I can be successful.

Good luck everyone!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:50 PM   #5  

HERE ARE MY NEW GOALS FOR NOVEMBER:

-CARDIO - 5X A WEEK
- WEIGHT TRAINING /RESISITANCE WORKOUT - 2-3X A WEEK
-DRINK WATER
- FOLLOW POINTS

FRISCO'S MOM - I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH - I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE FAST FOOD PHASE SEVERAL TIMES. A GOOD ALTERNATIVE TO ORDERING PIZZA OUT IS TO BUY THAT PIZZA CRUST IN A CAN AND ROLL IT OUT THIN. THEN YOU CAN THROW A TON OF VEGGIES ON IT AND REDUCED FAT OR FAT FREE CHESE - IT TAKES MY CRAVINGS AWAY AND FILLS ME UP - PLUS YOU GET A LOT!!

JMUKATIE - GREAT JOB LAST MONTH!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID GREAT AND ARE FEELING GREAT! I AM FEELING LIKE THAT TOO! IT IS A NICE CHANGE!! CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS TOO!!

WELL, I STILL HAVE ONE MORE WEEK FOR OCTOBER SO I AM HOPING TO FINISH MY MONTH OUT STRONG! I LOST 2.9 POUNDS AT MY WEIGH IN ON MONDAY AND AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MONDAY'S AS WELL. HOPEFULLY I WILL OBTAIN MY WEIGHT LOSS GOAL THIS MONTH!!

HERE'S TO A GREAT NEW MONTH!!
Old 10-26-2002, 04:51 AM   #6  

I want to join the challenge! I have been slacking and haven't lost any weight in awhile, but I haven't gained any either, so I guess it's not all bad. This challenge is exactly what I need. I have been planning a challenge with my friend, but I don't know if she will follow through, so I'm coming here for support as well. I don't necessarily want to lose a specific number of pounds, I just want to hold myself accountable for the actions that I KNOW will get my body in shape, who cares what number is on the scale. My challenge for November is:

Cardio: 30-60 minutes/day, 5 times/week
Strength: 2 times/week
Stop drinking Diet Coke
Drink More Water
Journal Everyday
Old 10-26-2002, 06:00 AM   #7  

Hi PURFECT!!
Glad you joined in!! I have noticed an unbelievable change in my body from working out these past 6-7 weeks. I have only lost about 8.5 pounds, but I feel and look like I have lost 30! So I think that your goals are great!! Stick to it and you'll be happy!!
Good Luck!
Margie
Old 10-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #8  

Lightbulb november challenge goals

Hey everyone,

This is my first time being in the challenge. In fact I am new to message board. I can't believe how helpful it is..i am just thanking everyone ahead of time...

my goals are to maintain my balanced 6 small meals a day.
I am going to stick to my exercise plan which includes at least 3 cardio days.
I am going to work harder on my abdominals.
I would like to lose 5 lbs this month.
I am not going to binge on my "day off"
I am going to work hard on my upper body.

one_sweetchick

good luck everyone
Old 10-28-2002, 08:20 AM   #9  
GO CANES!

hey girls! ok, here is my plan. i think i'm going to start counting my "points" again for WW, but if i decide not to join again, i am going to still stick to some sort of plan this month. also. need to drink MORE WATER.
also would like 5 days of some sort of exercise. I also want to not be totally obsessive but just try and "do it"
Old 10-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #10  

princess Jihan - I know what you mean about counting those points!!!! Sometimes it is so easy...then there is the hard part of getting back on track!! You can do it!!

Margie
Old 10-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #11  

Hello everyone,
October has been a very good month. qNovember is going to be my improvement month.

Exercise everyday
Drink water on my off days(have no problem at work)
Old 10-31-2002, 03:11 AM   #12  

i would love to join the november challenge!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:20 PM   #13  
hottie in training

Default I'm with you Monique

Monique,
i think you have a great idea for november, focusing on health/fitness, being strong, not just losing pounds.

i am just making a few small goals for november, since it seems like the more goals i make, the more i don't do them! hehheheh

1. Exercise-
go back to the usual 30 min minimum cardio at least 5x a week (sometimes 40 minutes just takes too long)
go back to weight training 3x a week
TRY SPINNING! I know it is a scary prospect, but I am going to at least try it once in November.

2. continue drinking water, cut down on any caffeine drinks-regular soda, coffee, tea. replace w/decaf & water. (i really don't drink that much caffeine anyway, so this should be easy).

3. do something special for myself to relax-visit a friend or have a friend over, get a massage (maybe not a full body-too expensive, but maybe just a neck massage, or foot massage), my starbucks routine (decaf coffee though)

4. get a new pair of running shoes so i don't get any more blisters on my poor feet!

okay, those are my goals.

Jenn
Old 11-01-2002, 07:53 AM   #14  

Whew! Was I tested last night! And I am proud to say I passed with flying colors.

First, I get home (repeat of Tuesday, 10+ hour day) and I have about a ½ hour before I need to be at the sanctuary.

DH sees me making up sandwiches and informs me that there is supposed to be food out there.

Eek. So, I only eat half of what I had planned on. I figured if there was absolutely nothing I could eat out there, I could just wait until I got home to finish dinner.

There was BBQ. I can handle that: a tiny piece of chicken, a small piece of garlic bread (wasn't as good as mine, so wasn't too tempting!), and some green beans.

I leave the mashed potatoes and homemade doughnuts for everyone else. There are also of cupcakes. I LOOOVE cupcakes.

We also have tons of candy for all of our guests. I am so exhausted that I am bumping into people, dropping things, not completing sentences, etc. At the end I take two little bags of candy, thinking the sugar will give me the energy to do some house chores before bed.

But, as I am walking and looking at the candy, I think of how well I've done so far and that the day is almost over. I hand the candy bags to two friends.

DH has had some friends come out to the sanctuary, and he is talking about them coming back to our place. I'm not thrilled, but I am almost never social so I figured I should give these guys a shot.

I picked up 4 cupcakes (3 of them + DH) so I have something to offer them at the house. But once I got home, I realized that DH has decided to for coffee with them. I am in the house alone with 4 cupcakes. Yummy, vanilla with chocolate whipped icing cupcakes.

I threw them, icing first, in the trash.

I can't believe how much will power I found last night, when it has seemed impossible the last week. It is nights like that which I have to keep fresh in my mind when I am struggling.

So, yesterday was another perfect day. I don't think I will have too much problem with today either - it's so easy to want to stay on track when you've gotten your exercise out of the way first thing!

But the weekends are always my downfall. I am mapping out my plan of action so that I get my water, take my vitamin, and eat within my portion allotment.

It sounds like everyone has made some great November goals.

To everyone new, Welcome!

margie1 - you didn't get your massage last month, how come you didn't add it this months goals? You deserve it!

purrfekshun - I slacked off for most of October, so I can appreciate your desire to get back on track. Your goals sound very acheivable and like they will produce results.

one_sweetchick - I have done the Body For Life plan before, and while I like the food mover for it's flexibility, I LOVE the BLF exercise plan!

PreciousOne - I think you have a great idea - just a few goals that you can really concentrate on.

empress(ive) - Please, by all means, join us!

Monique - as you might imagine, (since Richard's plan is an exchange one), I love your goal of eating a more balanced diet. It has really made a good difference in my health.

Jenn - I'm glad you are buying new sneakers! And I would urge you to look around for good deals on massages - I get my full-body massages (1 hour) for $30. That's as much as we might spend going to eat at Chili's - and it definitely is better for my health!

Ok guys, have a great weekend!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:02 AM   #15  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Before I get to my November goals, I'll recap on how I did for October:

October goals:

1) Drink 100 oz water a day - did this probably 5 days/wk

2) Run outside at least 1 day per week to get ready for the Half on November 2 - didn't do this every week (did it the first 2 weeks)

3) keep calorie count to around 800 while at work - keep total calorie count to ~1500 calories/day - (it has been more like 1600-1700 cal/day except for my binge days ~approx. 6 binge days)

4) Weight/resistance training at least 2x/week - nope

5) Abdominal training 4x/week - nope

6) Lose 8 pounds this month/6 inches/3% bodyfat - probably not - will find out on Sunday when I get myself measured again

okay - I really need to decide what I want - do I want it badly enough or not??? Am I ready? I've been thinking really hard about November's goals this week and this is the list I came up with:

But I am ready to start anew - all the Halloween candy is gone, the Half Marathon is tomorrow, and my weigh-in is on Sunday

November Goals:

1) FINISH THE HALF MARATHON WITHOUT WALKING
2) DRINK 100 OZ WATER DAILY
3) CUT BACK ON CHOCOLATE (REPLACE WITH FRUIT)
4) ABDOMINAL TRAINING – 3X WEEK
5) WEIGHT TRAINING – 2 X WEEK
6) PILATES VIDEO – 2 X WEEK
7) LOSE MINIMUM OF 1 INCH IN ALL AREAS
8) EAT SENSIBLY DURING THANKSGIVING BREAK
9) BE IN THE 160'S BY THANKSGIVING

I have given myself more goals, as opposed to less, but I think these are a little bit more reasonable than before - plus, I have made out a weekly chart that will help me see when I am and am not making my goals. My problem has been that I don't review my goals during the month.

Would anyone be interested in a new thread that just posts results of the week in the monthly challenges? I don't know if it would be too redundant, since many people already do that (I'm probably the exception) - I think I just need to get in the habit of actually looking at and reposting my goals and charting my progress (i'm way too analytical)...

Anyway, things are going okay today - ready for the weekend

wish me luck in the Half tomorrow - it's going to be really cold (40's and possibly rainy) - I figure that the faster I run the faster I can get out of there and into some warmth!!

Have a great day everyone!

Emily
Closed Thread