3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   What gym do you go to? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/202128-what-gym-do-you-go.html)

garstar 05-17-2010 11:18 PM

What gym do you go to?

I go to Snapright now. Not a HUGE fan, but it works and it's affordable - I pay about 40$ a month I think. I want something more, with fitness classes, nutritional coaches if I wanted, etc. etc.

I'm looking at lifetime right now because a friend goes there and then we could go together.

Anyone go there?

Where do you go - and how do you like it - and how much do you pay for what kind of program?

I figure you all would be the best critiques, thanks in advance!

duckyyellowfeet 05-17-2010 11:46 PM

I just use my school's gym. We just built it and since my school fees went up, darn it, I'm gonna make it worth it!

Its fine, much better than the old one that didn't have A/C...or much of anything. I like that each of the machines has its own TV. I just wish we had more classes, outside of the normal physical education classes

Cglasscock1 05-17-2010 11:51 PM

I go to Riviera Fitness ... a fitness chain here in Florida. I paid $200 for an annual membership for the second year. It is nice gym but not super fancy (no juice bars, etc.) and it is close to my home (very important for me).

junebug41 05-18-2010 12:05 AM

I go to my community rec center, which is pretty new. I like that it has a pool and water park and really nice equipment, although I wish it had more elipticals. It also has a huge indoor track and it's a very family atmosphere. I don't like that the steam room and saunas are co-ed. It works for our lifestyle in the burbs. We pay $50 for a family membership.

sgregg 05-18-2010 12:11 AM

I go to Anytime Fitness. I pay $54/month for me and my hubby. I love that each cardio machine has it's own tv and that I can go to any location in any city. There are 2 locations in my nearest city. One is fairly new, and they are still working on their aerobics area, but the one on the other side of town do have classes. Also, they have a little area that my son can hang out in if I need to take him.

jaimie1980 05-18-2010 12:18 AM

I also go to Anytime, love it! 29.99 with a corporate discount! And its like three blocks away!

Iconised Ghost 05-18-2010 12:25 AM

I go to Les Mills and I love it, but its freaking expensive!

VernDern 05-18-2010 01:45 AM

We just joined 24 hour fitness...I like it pretty well. We go to a newer location so its a bit nicer (and cleaner) than some of the older ones. We pay 29 a month each and am able to all locations.

We ended up choosing 24 because we work out really late, they have alot of classes, and they also have pools which we really enjoy.
If it wasn't for LA Fitness not being open 24 hrs we probably would have joined there though.

Cherry in STL 05-18-2010 01:56 AM

I started at Curves in June of last year, and thankfully my membership is almost up. I really don't feel like I get my $37/month worth there. Just one thing to do: the circuit. And the music they play is lame. You can't listen to your own music because then you won't hear the voice over telling you to change stations. It did get me to start exercising and I lost about 10 pounds just from going 3 times a week, so I am thankful for that. I have been working out in our apartment complex gym which is pretty nice, there's a tanning bed and indoor pool with hot tub in the gym building. I may consider a 24 hour type place soon because I want to be able to exercise when the mood strikes, and often that is after hours.

Feral 05-18-2010 07:29 AM

I go to Planet Fitness. It's $10, no contract but the only thing I wish we had was some kind of classes. Although I know that would cost more. I thought about joining Gold's across the street from work, but then I figured I wouldn't want to drive 30 minutes to the gym on the weekends.

My PF is also 24 hours (not that I go at odd hours but it's nice to have the option!).

stella1609 05-18-2010 08:12 AM

I go to Gold's. It's about $35 a month, and they have tons of classes. I wish the pool was a little bigger and that we had individual TVs instead of the big ones, but there are TONS of options for cardio and strength machines and I never have to wait for someone to finish up.

saef 05-18-2010 08:21 AM

I go to a small private gym that is not part of a chain. It's very elegant & spa-like, as it should be, since I pay $85 per month. But that's all-inclusive -- I get to take all the classes that I want, for free, such as Pilates, yoga, spinning, Zumba (if I wanted to, which I don't) & etc.

My company also has a gym on-site, down in the basement level near our cafeteria. Some days, if I don't have a class scheduled, I head down there right after work. That's free. As it should be, since I give this company a good portion of my life, sometimes at very odd hours on my laptop from home & even while on vacation. The gym is really there to keep us captive longer. (And probably to reduce their insurance premiums.)

stellarosa27 05-18-2010 08:27 AM

I go to Fitness First. I have a 1 year, 1 location contract, so I pay about $21 a month. Its not bad, people are there to work out and not socialize, so I like it.

I used to belong to an independent gym that had all the Les Mills classes and that was $47 a month, but soooo worth it. I'd still be going there if I didn't move 45 minutes away.

abluvion 05-18-2010 08:41 AM

I'm moving in a week and trying to find a gym in my new city - it's proving difficult! There's a Curves - but as I've heard Curves is kind of a waste of money. There's some little hole in the wall gym run by a former boxing champ and his website looks like it came straight outta 1995 - sketch. I can get on base to use the base gym with my boyfriend but only with my boyfriend - so I can't work out on my own schedule, just his. I have no idea what to do! Reading all these reviews is making me jealous :)

StephanieM 05-18-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherry in STL (Post 3296131)
I started at Curves in June of last year, and thankfully my membership is almost up. I really don't feel like I get my $37/month worth there. Just one thing to do: the circuit. And the music they play is lame. You can't listen to your own music because then you won't hear the voice over telling you to change stations.

Amen!

That's why I couldn't stand going to Curves anymore, it was good to get started and get more exercise but there's no versatility.

I just signed up at Dynamic Fitness, I think it's a local business that used to be called Lady DynaFit (or it's from the same people at least). It's 39 a month for me, no contract. If I took a contract it would have been lower but I didn't see the value in it.

There's three different areas that have five treadmills, five ellipticals, and five steppers each with three tv's infront of them. I can plug in my headphones and watch tv, or switch it to radio which is nice. I really like it there :)