Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #1  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Default College- how do/did you deal with exams?

I got to thinking about this because in another post I just mentioned that this is the last week before my school's "Dead Week", which is the week before exams when no tests are supposed to be given and everyone is studying or partying their brains out.

Obviously, as someone else said, finals make most of us stressed and kind of bingey. How do you deal with the last couple of weeks of the term? I'm still kind of acclimating to the environment even after a year so I'd love to hear how everyone else handles it.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #2  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

The week before my exams is paper week.Fortunately as an English major, my exams are really easy; however, my favorite thing during "dead week" is popcorn. You can eat a whole bunch of it without doing too much damage, (Uh, but everything in moderation, of course) and it's a great study buddy.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 04-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #3  
Samantha417

Cry...

No but really. Finals week is the worst for me. I never go to the gym, I eat nothing but comfort food. This time I'm gonna do better! I have healthy comfort foods and it's actually more stressful for me to not go to the gym now so I'll definitely be going! I'll get bangin' grades AND a bangin' body!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Stay on plan! I make sure I take breaks to let my brain rest, and I make double the effort to exercise. It's so good for your brain.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #5  
work hard.

S/C/G: 197/170/155

Height: 5'9

I actually went to the gym more during finals week - - I'd go with whatever I was studying, or if I was writing a paper (English major here too) I'd go to think and get my ideas straight. With all the stress of exams, being at the gym and getting exercise helped me so much. So I recommend really trying to get an intense work out in, even if it's only 30 minutes. It can really help clear your head and counteract all the not-so-healthy food you're inevitably eating while studying at 2am!
icandoallthings6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #6  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

haha another english major! and i find that my exams are easier or I don't have any in my english classes. its all about the essays, which unfortunately I have already been bombarded with thee last two weeks, and the next two/three weeks as well. it is stressful. i'm writing a ten page research paper on shakespeare's othello atm T.T

my suggestion is to snack whenever you want if thats what will get you through this BUT only snack on fruit and veggies! One serving of fruit and veggies is almost always about 30 calories so stuff yourself silly on those and you won't have any room left for less healthy choices. i'm stocking up on lots more fruit than I usually get this next week just because of this reason. I sit all day in my room formulating a ridiculous essay, or studying for an exam and it makes me think of food more so I'm getting tons of berries, oranges, pineapple, broccoli...anything i pretty much like eating raw that way its ready when the study hunger hits. or you can prepare some type of fruit or veggie thing in bulk. I just suggest making sure its already ready because I know its so easy to grab for more fattening things if you have to make the healthy thing.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

Height: 5'4

I never did. I was never working out and trying to lose weight in college. I was more focused on college so I ate a lot of food I shouldn't have and drank a lot of sugary drinks then. I just gave in. Now that I'm out I really wished I hadn't.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'1

Sometimes I force myself to get OUT of my room, and study in the library or someplace else on campus. There's no food there! Also, I love love love chewing bubblegum while I'm studying! Helps me relieve stress and blowing bubbles is fun Stay strong, you can do this!
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I used to stock up on healthy frozen food, yogurt, fruit, etc.

I'd also plan one pizza night for group study.

And embarassingly, I stopped all laundry and housekeeping besides dishes and trash and at that time of my life I owned at least 20 pairs of cheap undies. So at least my undies were clean!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

My mom would send me an "exam survival pack" every year - and it always had apples, oranges, wheat crackers and peanut butter. That's what I lived on, but I always made sure that I took walk breaks to clear my head. I wasn't heavy into using the campus gym back then, but I'd go for a quick 10 minute walk to break up the time.

Also - the library was a great place where they didn't allow food, but I could never study in the library. Too many new people to watch.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Lots and lots of tea and coffee. Keeps me occupied. I also second the library. I prefer the public library but that's just me. Beverages allowed but no food. I pack a lunch and dinner and my snacks nothing else. If I don't have it with me I can't eat it!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

I stock up on good food the weekend before, and then get ready for the long haul. This usually means that I leave my dorm only when necessary (i.e. for a gym break) or if I'm about to go insane. Having yummy and healthy things around (and only those things) keeps bingeing at bay. Although I'm more prone to stress not-eating during exams. This past December I lost 10 pounds exam week after only being able to keep down coffee, and then promptly gained it right back and then some. It majorly sucked as I kept gaining and losing the same pounds over Christmas break!

So, just be prepared, and don't let it stress you out and send your eating out of whack!
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #13  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Yeah I noticed it was a little empty then usual in the gym.

I still workout and eat well. I typically spend 1 hour in the gym so I don't think I'm stretching myself too much. I consider my workouts just as important as my exams. I balance my life now. I never bring study material. After I workout, I shower, come back, eat, relax and continue to study. I cut out time from tv and the internet to study instead of bringing study materials to the gym. I continue with my usual schedule and it gives me the confidence I need to do well.

I remember putting school and exams and all that before myself and it showed(and not in a good way). I come first.

Last edited by energie; 04-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I guess being an English major is a cool thing on this board, cause I'm one too.

I stock pile healthy foods, cook a lot when I do cook so I have left-overs, allow myself a little bit of forgiveness with exercise and just....work. I figure, if I'm busy writing papers, its hard to cram food into myself at the same time.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Well I am not and English major so I am not cool I guess.... Just a music major.

Anyways, I am real chill about it. I study, I workout, I go about my daily life. Its my last semester and I have already been graduated in my head I guess. But I have always been really relaxed about finals. With all the free time I have cause of no classes I feel like I have all the time in the world to do whatever.
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote