Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default "Better 'n Peanut Butter"...tried it?

I'm not a huuuge peanut butter eater. It's not a trigger food for me like it is for other people. But I do like the flavor. I hardly ever eat it because I just can't bring myself to use 190 calories on a little blob of peanut butter, lol. But I'd love to have a dollop of it in my oatmeal or in a banana smoothie or something.

I found this product (sorry for the huge URL) --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846 It's not sold locally anywhere near me, and this is the cheapest I can find it. With shipping and handling, it would cost me about $36. That is a LOT to spend on any food, let alone peanut butter, haha. Especially without sampling it first. It would last me a loooong time, but...still, lol.

But has anybody tried it? The reviews seem mostly positive. Apparently it's creamier than normal PB, somebody described it like cake icing. That's fine with me. They also said it was sweeter than normal PB, almost a honey or carmel-ish flavor. That, to me, is only a plus. And of course, it's only 100 cal for 2tbsp. I would most likely only use 1tbsp at a time which would only be 50 cal.

Thoughts?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Is this the one made from powder? if it is i have heard mixed reviews, some people just cant take the texture, other people like the fact you can change it by adding more or less powder
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I think this is a totally different product. I actually found it by looking for the powder product. This is just a jar of "peanut butter," not a powder or anything. I don't think the products are related.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

oh right, sorry. I have no idea then $36 sounds a bit pricey though
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #5  
my beautiful rescue

Height: 5'4"

I've never had it but I think regular peanut butter is more for me. I don't have that kind of money. :P. I wonder if they sell it near me though. They probably do... I don't have problems with peanut butter cravings either. If we have it, I'll forget we do. And I like it but I can control myself.
goreplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #6  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Hmmm.. this sounds like a good thing to me. I <3 P.b.!

It says on the store locator they have it at the HEB close to my house. I may have to look next time I am there. If its super expensive then no way.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #7  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

I just eat regular, all-natural peanut butter It's good for you so long as you don't eat too much (I usually stick to one tablespoon).

If that stuff contains more sugar/corn syrup than peanut butter, it might actually be worse for you. The unsaturated fat in peanut butter will make you feel full, whereas the fructose in corn syrup will just make you feel hungrier.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Better 'N Peanut Butter comes up often because it sounds so attractive; It always deserves to be revisited. If you're interested, here's a quick list of some old threads about it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...ut-butter.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...ut-butter.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...ut-butter.html

And here's two on Powdered Peanut Butter:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...-less-fat.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-w...ut-butter.html

Will be interesting to hear if you decide to try it, and if so, if you like it.

The only thing I clearly remember if that mixing powered peanut butter with jelly for a simplified PBJ was declared inedible, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #9  

I have tried this and had to throw the whole thing away. It has a very sweet taste and a much thinner consistency than PB. A year later I tried it again and AGAIN threw it in the trash! IMO -- it is disgusting and not worth the money!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

Yes, they sell it in my location and it is good but personally I wouldn't go to the expense of mail ordering it if it weren't available. For me, I don't mind spending 90 cals on 100 percent natural pb as it is extremely healthy, satisfying and the monounsaturated oil aids in weight loss for me.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 04-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #11  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

DO NOT BUY IT! It was the most disgusting thing I ever tasted!! I think I was able to choke down about 10% of the jar by mixing some with greek yogurt and- but it tastes so bad AND like chemicals! It barely resembles the taste of real PB. The only time I "allow" myself to have PB in the morning, bc it can be a trigger for me. The 1 tbs of pb in the morning is worth the 95 calories to not eat that crap!!

That's just my opinion though!
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #12  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

additionally- I forgot about this, but when I used to eat oatmeal alot I would mix 1-2 tbs of pb with a few tbs. of soy milk or almond milk (and I'm sure you could use real milk too) VERY vigorously for a minute or two. It will sort of create a peanut butter sauce that lengthens the life of the pb- and for less calories! I think you can make a small batch and keep it in the fridge for about two days as well!
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

DON'T DO IT!!!!

I bought it at Trader Joe's and is terrible. It tastes like super sweet peanuts but has the consistency of marshmallow fluff. I took one teaspoon and almost gagged.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

It's definitely a hit or miss. I love it, but I do remember the first time I ate it I wasn't digging it. I went back and got it a few months later and it tastes fine to me. It's a lot sweeter than regular PB (but no HFCS). LOL @ Stella about the marshmellow fluff. Hm, I guess it does kind of have that semblance. Never thought of it like that. I like marshmellow fluff too though.

If you buy it at Trader Joe's you can return it and get a refund, no questions asked. If you mail order, that's a risk you'll have to take.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote