Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #1  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

Smile Pedometers/HR monitors?

Hey everyone!!

Just wondering if any of you use pedometers? Does it motivate you to walk more just to see a higher numbers? lol and if so, what's a good (cheap) brand??

Also a heart rate monitor? I'm totally new with this kind of stuff so excuse any stupid questions Will a heart rate monitor also tell me how many calories I'm burning while working out?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

I use an Accusplit pedometer but not for motivation. It's an accountability goal thing. I aim for at least bare minimum of 10,000 steps a day and then I can play around with goal setting too. One week I had a goal set for 20,000 steps a day. It's a useful tool.

I've heard good things about the Gruve and the Bodybugg but personally, could care less about them. I've heard they work well though so you could look into that
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
Also a heart rate monitor? I'm totally new with this kind of stuff so excuse any stupid questions Will a heart rate monitor also tell me how many calories I'm burning while working out?
Yes, it will tell you calories burned. I like Polar, and I suggest the simplest one possible. Not only is it cheaper, but most people never use the extra bells and whistles.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

When I use my pedomoter it is awesome. I set a goal to get into 10,000 steps a day and if I got those steps in and watching my eating - I lost weight like nothing. (maybe I should do that again!)

Anyway, I have the Omron HJ-112 - it just a pedometer thought. It does show steps, calories, aerobic steps and distance though - keeps a record for 7 days. For $25 it was worth every penny. It is one the top rated pedometers out there, according to all the reviews I found online. I love that it works from my pocket, I just tuck it in there and the morning and no one every knows. It is very very accurate.

We did a group on another forum I belong too (a dog forum) and it was 6 weeks long - and everyday was supposed to aim for 10,000 steps a day - it was a lot of fun. 99% of us were using that pedometer and walkertracker.com to keep a diary of it all.

Last edited by sotypical; 04-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #5  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Thanks for the suggestions you guys!

I'm gonna look into that pedometer sotypical! I found that one online too, to have the best reviews and at a decent price

As well I'll be looking into that heart rate monitor. I just want to know how I'm doing when I'm working out lol

Thanks again!
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote